Fathers Stop Dropping the %$#@ing Ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Father's Stop Droping the %$#@ing Ball

I need to get this off my chest. I know there are many here who are much younger than I and do not have children. If you decide to have children, do not be a parent that abandons your responsibilities to your children. Please!

I am sitting here today, wondering why so many father's take off, abandon, and leave their children in the dirt.

I have 25 kids this year in my class. I am looking at 7 children that have NO contact with their fathers.

What can be done to change this trend? I am sure that in the inner cities of the world the rate is higher.

What do you think? Are men just pigs? Or is there something societal going on?

I could go on and on, but, in an attempt to buffer some of my misanthropic tendencies...

1) Immaturity. Something tells me that they enjoyed the sex, but didn't expect the children that could accompany it.

2) Societal peer pressure. Despite some pretty specific New Testament passages that say otherwise, there is still a lot of pressure to get married and have children ASAP. I had a friend whose fundamentalist Christian parents pressured him to get married to his girlfriend of four years at around 21 and have children. Then he realized he was gay...

I think it is a combination of both the fathers' problems and societal problems. I see a lot of people everyday with young children who look like they have a lot of growing up to do and shouldn't have had them in the first place. Then, at the same time, society applauds them as "promoting the family" and those who are unmarried at thirty? Well, then you get people snickering, wondering about their sexuality behind their back and parents selfishly pining for grandchildren.

I say fuck tradition and do what you want. A world with less marriage and fewer children is better than a world with bad marriages and unwanted children.

Melon

My kids haven't seen or spoken to their father since June of 1990...he has never sent a birthday or Christmas card or even picked up the phone to call them. They were 2 and 4 years old the last time they had contact with him...they are now 16 and 18 years old.

He owes my kids over $50,000 in child support and blames that debt for causing his new family to live in poverty.

I guess the inablity to take responsiblity for one's own actions might be a start in figuring out this problem..at least in my case it is.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

I just hope you have sued him.

I've tried hiphop...its just that he purposely takes low paying jobs because I'm only entitled to a certain percentage of his income...if he earns low wages, I only get a small percentage. He has 3 other kids now and that is also taken into consideration when the court decides how much money they will take from his wages. They have to leave him enough money to pay for his basic needs.

He's crying poverty and saying that I'm taking food from his other 3 kids mouth's by demanding my kids be supported. Luckily, my second husband has always been there for us.

Despite all the deadbeats we hear about, there are still a lot of good men out there.

if the kid can't read, that mamma's fault. now, if the kid can't read 'cause there ain't no light in the house, that daddy's fault. see, nobody gives a f*** about daddy. there's still some real daddy's out there. i'm not talkin' about the guy who f***ed ya' on left... f*** him. i'm talkin' about the real daddy's that handle they business. but people don't give a f*** about daddy. everybody takes daddy for granted. just listen to the radio. everythign's mamma... love my mamma... mamma mamma mamma... what's the daddy song? papa was a rolling stone. now i'm not gonna front. momma got the roughest job. but at least people apreciate mamma. everytime mamma does something right she gets a compliment. women need to have compliments. women need food, water and compliments. that's right... and the occasional pair of shoes. women got to hear it all the time or they lose their minds. and daddy makes sure you let your mamma hear it... "tell your mamma how good the food was... tell your mamma how nice the house looks... tell your mamma how nice her hair looks... you better go tell your mamma." tell your mamma tell your mamma tell your mamma... nobody ever tells daddy sh**. i'm talkin' about the real daddy that handle his business. no one ever hears "hey daddy, thanks for knocking out this rent... hey daddy, i sure love this hot water... hey daddy, it's easy to read with all this light." think about all the things that a real daddy does... pay the bills, buy the food, put a f***ing roof over your head. and what does daddy get for all his hard work? the big piece of chicken."

-chris rock

Despite efforts to "promote the family", we live in a disposable society. Take what you want, use it while you want it, then move on. We love to do what is right in our own eyes. When you sow this type of attitude, you reap fatherless households.

IMO, male immaturity and society's desire for lack of consequences for personal behavior lead to fatherless households.

Great post

I'd just like to add that a father does not have to take off physically to abandon his children. Emotional disinterest and distance and/or abuse is just as painful.

It is very difficult for a girl, as it creates trust issues w/ men, to say the least :| I think a father plays a crucial role in a daughter's self esteem.

Many guys didn't have the proper role model in their own fathers, but for me, that's no excuse.

Back
Top Bottom