Fast food law suits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klodomir

Refugee
This topic was brought up in another discussion, and I was wondering if these lawsuits are already a fact? I thought it was still just speculation, but ocu2fan mentioned that they were already happening. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some links and info - opinions are of course welcome too - since I find this issue very interesting (in a car crash kind of way).

Heres my two cents.
These lawsuits are bullshit. Coffee, Hot chocolate, etc... These are things that are, in the normal smart people world, served HOT. People who burn themselves and then say oh well why didnt you tell me it was hot, are the same people that are for some fucked up reason allowed to procreate and posess firearms. Hot Chocolate = hot, not cold, not lukewarm, not hey itd be nice to have a shower in temperature, but hot, made with boiling water, potential to burn yourself hot. Why people are too stupid to realise that is far beyond the comprehension of anyone with a logical and reasonable mind.

Now then, if it is result of poorly maintained facilities, then surely I agree that people are entitled to compensation if they find their foot impaled wiht a broken floor tile, or the roof collapses on them, or the door comes off its hinges and crushes them... But then again, anyone who pinches their hand in a door, has no right to sue, because its NOT THAT HARD TO OPEN A FUCKING DOOR. Why should companies be responsible for people who are too stupid to operate in normal fashion without somehow maiming themselves? It isnt fair for people to blame all their stupidity on other people and say things like well this should have instructions on it - its a door, or aforementioned hot chocolate. People go out of their way to create a business to prepare your food for you so that you dont have to spend upwards of an hour and a half making and cleaning up various food related goods. But of course noone thinks of anyone but themselves and if something isnt right then wow lets sue. If they dont approve, they shouldnt go there, and then the company will go out of business. But of course no, people dont think of that, they go around accusing and suing everything in sight like its going out of style.

I digress, too much talking... I think Im going to go to Tim Horton's and order some lukewarm chocolate... C ya

Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:
I digress, too much talking... I think Im going to go to Tim Horton's and order some lukewarm chocolate... C ya

*is jealous of your Tim Horton's* Why they can't extend down here into the US is beyond me.
mad.gif

I'm sorry, I think I was a bit vague in my original post. Let me quote what prompted my question:
Originally posted by ocu2fan:
Now people are sueing fast food companies because their food is unhealthy! Man if the food is bad for you, don't eat it!
Does anyone know if these lawsuits are already being filed?

Originally posted by Klodomir:
Does anyone know if these lawsuits are already being filed?

If they haven't yet, it won't surprise me if they start doing so. The suing of tobacco companies was just the beginning. Personal responsibility doesn't exist anymore. We want choice over everything we do with our bodies, but we don't want to be responsible for the outcomes of our actions.

[This message has been edited by sulawesigirl4 (edited 02-12-2002).]

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
We want choice over everything we do with our bodies, but we don't want to be responsible for the outcomes of our actions.

icon36.gif

------------------
and your heart beats so slow through the sleet and driving snow, across the fields of mourning lights in the distance...
ME!
"...a poptart in pants..." -- elizabeth

Heres my two cents.
These lawsuits are bullshit. Coffee, Hot chocolate, etc... These are things that are, in the normal smart people world, served HOT. People who burn themselves and then say oh well why didnt you tell me it was hot, are the same people that are for some fucked up reason allowed to procreate and posess firearms. Hot Chocolate = hot, not cold, not lukewarm, not hey itd be nice to have a shower in temperature, but hot, made with boiling water, potential to burn yourself hot. Why people are too stupid to realise that is far beyond the comprehension of anyone with a logical and reasonable mind.

Get your facts straight before you go and make an ass of yourself. If you knew the facts of the mcdonalds case then you might have a little creditablity.

The were that the water that was being served at that perticular Mcdonalds was being served at extremly higher temps. It was so high that any spilling on human flesh resulted in deep flesh burns. Mcdonalds knew they were wrong and changed all their coffee machines world wide.

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

It couldn't be hotter than 100? celcius, could it? Same as when I make tea. It's hot, but you know it's hot. I think the accidents happened because people were drinking coffee while driving.

What a great reply UFF!!! I agree with you.
As for the burning coffee...well like klod said, how hot can it get? Even boiling water from a normal kettle causes serious burns, havent you ever heard water burns = holding burnt extremity under cold running water for 10 minutes? Once something 'hot' gets to that initial boiling point or whatever, it of course burns, and enough regardless to keep on burning. As you know flesh can be cooked, this is how people suffer such horrendous burns, some dont realise that the skin needs to cool down, it will keep on 'cooking' so to speak. And like I said, ordinary hot water will do this.

Bonoman, faulty equipment aside, do you really believe MacDonalds is liable? I dont think Foxfire could have stated it any better, if you buy yourself a coffee its going to be damn hot, bloody common sense.

Perhaps fox has a career in writing instruction manuals.

"How to answer a telephone without electrocuting yourself"

"How to operate basic kitchen machinery"

"Kitchen machinery II - bread and butter knives do not go in the toaster"

"How to switch the light off and tuck yourself into bed without losing a limb or maiming the neighbours"

Seriosuly, Klod your original question. Health food. Um same principle I think. If its a fast food joint, well duh its not going to be healthy, not usually anyway. If the place is unhygenic and causes salmonella or something of course, but there is the health department who deal with this kind of stuff. If they actually serve food that is harmful to your health because it isnt of a suitable standard, thats a different matter.

Mayonnaise, not the meat, is the main culprit in many cases. To check it ou, go to www.burgerking.com and check out their "Nutrition Wizard;" A Whopper or BK Broiler isn't so bad without the mayonnaise, which adds 17 fat grams. Tartar Sauce on the Big Fish is TWENTY-FIVE fat grams.

~U2Alabama

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 02-13-2002).]

Originally posted by bonoman:

Get your facts straight before you go and make an ass of yourself. If you knew the facts of the mcdonalds case then you might have a little creditablity.

Its called satire, get over it, my intention was to look foolish but yet still get my point across. As for some of the other comments about water temperature, in most peoples posts, I will explain a few things that I assume would be quite obvious... basically, the more energy, in this case in the form of heat, that something has, the more it expands. In doing such, it gets to a point where it is able to contact more surface area. Case and point, steam burns are much MUCH worse then say touching your finger to a hot frying pan - in that they affect a large surface area of skin, and that you cannot simply force off the steam where you can take your finger off the pan. Regardless of whether the water is warm at 50 degrees or boiling at 100 degrees, or even at 110 degrees where it continues to turn to steam longafter its stopped heating, if you pour any of it on yourself of course itll burn. In the case of these liquids, there is always a point where water is going to burn, and if you pour coffee or something on your leg and it is nearing boiling point, its going to burn, and the fact that its probably through a garment, which will now also be hot, and holding it to your skin, is not going to help. So, long story short, I dont give a rats ass why the water is hot, because hot water is going to burn anyway, and if people cannot put something cold on it, cannot even remove the source of heat from their leg, then of course its going to burn - point is, hot is hot, you dont order drinks for the sake of consuming them cold, or else you'd order them cold. Its hardly mcdonalds fault for serving hot drinks, if someone is too incompetent to realise, 'hey maybe I shouldnt spill this on myself be it intentional or accidental, its not something I should do', because when you order something hot you accept the risk that it will be hot, and if you try and do too many things at once and ooh darn you knock over your coffee onto yourself then its still your own fault, not the person who served you. By that logic, people should be sueing the labourers who grow the coffee beans, because without them, they wouldnt have been able to make coffee and subsequently wouldnt have burned themselves, key word there being 'themselves', the other people didnt burn them. If people dont like the temperature, then they should make it themselves where they are the ones in control, a company is going to make coffee at a temperature suitable to keeping it hot and keeping people who enjoy hot coffee in good spirits. These situations could be avoided so easily, I mean even if the person would just say hmm this is too hot I think Ill let it cool down first. There is always method to my madness... or at least usually... The fact of the matter is, I dont want to be jumped on for saying that people are responsible for themselves and if theyre too stupid not to burn themselves then they shouldnt have right to sue someone who sure as hell didnt walk up to them and pour coffee into their laps.

In a post somewhere else a long time ago, I said injury is sometimes comical in that people are stupid and inflict it upon themselves because of lack of logic, and probably deserved what they got. To that someone replied, so a person who tips over a pop machine and gets crushed to death deserved it? thats funny? My answer, which I never bothered to post, is yes. The first person it happened to, yes that is a tragedy and is not funny, but we learn from our mistakes, and if theres a warning label on the side of a pop machine as a result of that accident, and some idiot tries to steal pop out of the machine by tilting it/shaking it, then if they get crushed, they accepted the risk of doing so, and they deserve what they get. Told not to, they do it anyway, they dont use common sense, and perhaps its better that their genes are removed from the gene pool anyway because theyre too stupid to realise 'hmmm, an appliance in excess of 500lbs, this might just crush me to death if I ignore the sticker and pull it towards myself'. Im probably going to take heat for that last statement, but I mean come on... Accidents should only happen once, then people should look back and say hmm well this happened to the person as a result, so maybe I shouldnt do this. Granted, small accidents like spilling things happen every now and again, but its noones fault but the person who is in control of whatever was spilled. If you buy a good tempered dog from someone, and you beat it around and treat it like shit, and it bites you, thats sure as hell not the breeders fault, nor is it the dog for defending itself. If someone attacked me, Id surely defend myself. Its all a matter of reason, and people seem to lack the ability to think in a manner of action -> consequence. If so, thats noones fault but their own, not the producer of the product. I could continue to support my argument, but Ill just wait for someone to try and refute my points before I bring up more situations of idiocy before I continue with the responsible for your own actions thing.

As for the whole health food issue. Same thing goes, youre responsible for yourself, because someone produces a fatty food, doesnt mean you go out, purchase it, eat it, and then sue the cook. Realisticly, if you even remotely cared about your heath, you wouldnt go out for fast food on a basis frequent enough that it would ammount to anything unhealthy. People have to accept responsibilty for themselves. President bush, didnt chew, choked on a pretzel, noones fault but his own. Someone goes to McDonalds or Burger King, twice a day, every day, and then they have a heart attack, its still their fault because they made the concious choice to go there, buy food, consume it, and do so all the freakin time without considering their own health. If people are upset about serving unhealthy foods, then wow what an idea, they could go somewhere that does serve healthy foods like subway or mr sub, or even maybe they could make their own food... *gasps in the shock of such a revelation*

Wow, UFF...that was so long, I'm too intimidated to read it!
eek.gif

I still want my Tim Horton's btw. *starts campaign to bring them to Minnesota*

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Wow, UFF...that was so long, I'm too intimidated to read it!
eek.gif

I still want my Tim Horton's btw. *starts campaign to bring them to Minnesota*

Dont worry sula, when I finally manage to convince you to coming to visit me and skeeker, the both of us'll take you out for coffee, promise!
smile.gif
theres a tim hortons no more than 200 meters from his house hahaha
biggrin.gif

Dont worry sula, when I finally manage to convince you to coming to visit me and skeeker, the both of us'll take you out for coffee, promise!
smile.gif
theres a tim hortons no more than 200 meters from his house hahaha
biggrin.gif

*buys those plane tickets*
tongue.gif

Only if you promise me we three will have a 24+ hour U2 video party.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

perhaps its better that their genes are removed from the gene pool anyway
Ha, you must be a Darwin Award fan.

Oops the pic I tried to post didnt work but I have to tell this one:

An American woman went to a McDonald's with her two children ages 6 and 8. She ordered two Happy Meals with chicken for the children and a hamburger with fries for herself.
While they were eating the 6 year old was more interested in the slide across the street than the chicken nuggets which he didn't even touch. So the mother decided she would eat them.
She was in for quite a suprise..Without actually watching what she ws doing she was bringing a chicken nugget to her mouth, just when her 8 year old son yelled not to heat it.
So she looked at the nugget to find that - despite the crust - it looked just like a chicken's head. Nobody knows how it got there.
The manager offered them their meal for ree and two more weeks of free meals.
But it was no use. The mother pressed charges and demanded 10,000 compensation.

I tried posting a picture of this but it didnt work. Maybe it's best that it didnt because it probably would have offended most people here.

------------------
touch me, take me to that other place, teach me, i know i'm not a hopeless case

[This message has been edited by nellie (edited 02-13-2002).]

[This message has been edited by nellie (edited 02-13-2002).]

although i'm sure a lot of people know why the mcdonald's coffee was so hot, i figured i might as well say it anyway in case someone doesn't know. the coffee temperature was increased to a higher than normal, as bonoman and foxfire stated. it was because their coffeemakers were apt to grow mold (or mildew? can't remember) and instead of cleaning them constantly, or replacing the coffeemakers, they decided to increase the temperature of the coffee, killing the mold. but still, i'm surprised the girl couldn't tell the coffee was extremely hot from simply holding the cup. many times i've help cups not nearly as hot and i have to put them down immediately. even if it wasn't obvious, putting a coffee cup in your lap is a dumb idea. even at a normal temperature, it can cause discomfort if it spills. i wouldn't wanna take the risk regardless.

and yeah bama, tartar sauce (and mayonnaise) is horrible. which is why i use neither on anything. ketchup only and cheese. if i can help it, i use my own cheese at home which is reduced fat so i know that it's real cheese, and how much fat i'm consuming.

------------------
and your heart beats so slow through the sleet and driving snow, across the fields of mourning lights in the distance...
ME! all day, every day!
"...a poptart in pants..." -- elizabeth

Originally posted by nellie:
I tried posting a picture of this but it didnt work. Maybe it's best that it didnt because it probably would have offended most people here.
This one?

chckhead.jpg

That picture is disgusting.

I used to be a manager at a mcdonals about 5 yrs ago. I could tell you all stories that would probably make you never want to eat period.

The worst i was ever apart of is:

A Mcdonalds in my area fired their maintenence man. Why? Because the lard that we use for fries, chicken and fish started to have multiple holes in it. After an investigation they determined that he was inserting his penis into the lard. He admited to it and was charged.

Another one that happened at my mcdonalds was that i was in drive thru and someone came through and ordered a meal supersized. I grabed the large cup and very quickly put it under the sprite nozzle. I put the lid and and gave it to the customers. About 5 minutes later i seen him come back in and he didnt look happy. He asked if he could speak to a manager(iwasnt at the time) i went and got a manager and the man said thank god i never gave them any straws because his wife opened the lid to find a colony of fruit flies. It was black. You couldnt even see the bottom of the cup even though it was sprite.

And about the coffee. I really dont care and dont feel like argueing the case. Dont have that kind of time to waste.

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

Originally posted by Klodomir:
Originally posted by nellie:
This one?

chckhead.jpg

yep thats the one lol

------------------
touch me, take me to that other place, teach me, i know i'm not a hopeless case

It couldn't be hotter than 100? celcius, could it? Same as when I make tea. It's hot, but you know it's hot. I think the accidents happened because people were drinking coffee while driving.

it was 108 degrees actually.

I like most people thought the coffee case was ridiculous untill I found out the facts.

The lady was burned to the bone, she was elderly and couldn't open the lid correctly.

After recovering she asked McDonalds to pay her hospital bills, around ten thousand. They refused, she sued for ten thousand.

Lawyers foudn that McDonalds had a huge rate of burn complaints and did nothing about them.

the jury heard this and decided to use the case to punish McDonalds in some way to hold them accountable. They fined Mcdonalds ten million.

I foget the specifics of how it was done, but out of the ruling they took 40% away fromt eh elderly woman, considering it 40% her fault and 60% Mcdonalds fault she was burned.

Ten Million by the way is revenue in two days for McDonalds for Coffee Sales alone.

Just wanted to say I find this thread to be an interesting read. And I agree with UFF about people taking some responsibility for their own health.

I wanted to add one more chicken head to the fryer, if you will. I know that another type of lawsuit was filed against McDonald's because they were using beef products to flavor their french fries. When vegetarians, especially those whose diet is based on religion, found out, I'm pretty sure they sued McDonald's to get them to be more truthful about what goes into their foods. I must say, this I can agree with. People have the right to know exactly what they're eating so that they can make informed decisions.

Then again, I don't know why I'm really replying to this thread. Since becoming a vegetarian, I don't eat at McDonald's much, for obvious reasons. I, for one, do try to take responsibility for my own health. But again, right on to UFF. Some people just don't get it.

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Back
Top Bottom