Fareed Zakaria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V Nura

Refugee
Anyone knwo anything about him?

is there any way we can kick powell out and make him secretary of state?

I'm reading his book Called " the future of freedom" right now. It's very good I reccomend it to everyone. He's the editor of newsweek international and his dad was an Indian politician.

I'm sure that if he is even mildly liberal, Repubs will find a way to make him a communist, a terrorist, and / or French. And, of course, the moral of their story is that Dubya is always right, and how dare anyone challenge his regime?

Melon

He writes for Newsweek...and I have found his point of view to be close to mine on many things.

verte76 said:
I'm definitely getting this book. I wonder if it's at Barnes and Nobles??

it's at the one near my house....so probably.

arun,

this guy would not fit in with this administration.

from Mar 24, Newsweek
The Arrogant Empire

America?s unprecedented power scares the world, and the Bush administration has only made it worse. How we got here?and what we can do about it now

changing Sec of State would do little good.

We need regime change.

deep said:
arun,

this guy would not fit in with this administration.

from Mar 24, Newsweek

changing Sec of State would do little good.

We need regime change.

Yeah but deep....I'm sick of the "respect" colin powell seems to have when in fact he may be one of the most incompetant secretary of states we've ever had. His speech to the UN was a repetition of every thing george W had said with absolutely no new material. I believe if you look at the footage closely you can see W's hand up Powells ass during that speech.

Under powell....the transatlanctic alliance has been damaged. Had it not been for tony blair our special relationship with the English may have been damaged. He's delayed the peace process in the middle east...until now...had he started it before we may have been able to build some good will before going to war with iraq. Hes exacerbated the N korea situation after clinton almost had a fix. he's ignored the India Pakistan issue...and seems to have a terrorist state as his closest ally ont eh war on terror

his own department even says it

http://www.state.gov/s/ct/rls/pgtrpt/2002/html/

"Extremist violence in Kashmir, meanwhile, fueled by infiltration from Pakistan across the Line of Control, threatened to become a flashpoint for a wider India-Pakistan conflict during most of the year."

The man cant even make a stand consistent with the findings of his own department. To be honest...the only person in this cabinet whose done a good job in my book so far is rumsfeld in that he's carried out his duties very well.

It's interesting to see how Powell has actually carried out his job as Secretary of State. I think when all the talk of war against Iraq first started, people expected Powell to be the "dove" of the administration, against all of the other "hawks". However, his actions at the UN and comments about European countries clearly showed he's at least as strongly pro-war as the rest of Bush's administration.

Arun,

I pretty much agree with your assessment. The Administrations bankrupt policies has tainted Powell. It is sad his career has taken this turn. There had been speculation that he was unhappy and might not stay in his position. It looks like he has caved in to the neo-cons that have control of the presidency.

Sorry, I disagree about Rumsfeld. He is a big part of the problem.
Under powell.At Rumsfeld's insistance ...the transatlanctic alliance has been damaged.

I think Arun simply means that Rumsfeld has carried out his duties consistently and forthrightly, whether or not you agree with how he has carried them out. Just my guess--I'm no Rummie fan, and I don't think Arun is, either.

Most Eastern and Southern European countries strongly supported Bushes policy in Iraq. The rift with Europe is more of simply a rift with France, Russia, and Germany. Its not Powells fault that these countries did not want to do what was necessary to ensure the disarmament of Iraq after 12 years of failure in that regard.

Arun,

"Yeah but deep....I'm sick of the "respect" colin powell seems to have when in fact he may be one of the most incompetant secretary of states we've ever had. His speech to the UN was a repetition of every thing george W had said with absolutely no new material."

Powell is doing a great job under very difficult circumstances. Under him, US foreign Policy has ended the threat of Saddam and stopped Aghanistan from being the central base for international terrorism. How many before him in his position can claim to have done similar things?

Rather than fixing the North Korean problem, Mr. Clinton simply put a bandaid on it. North Korea is a difficult problem with few cost effective solutions. It was under Powell that we discovered that North Korea had never honored its commitments to the Clinton administration with a secret Nuclear Weapons program outside of the one we thought we had stopped with the negotiation.

In Pakistan, the USA's cooperation with Pakistan has yielded some of the greatest successes in catching and killing members of Al Quada. The USA has also helped prevent war from happening between India in Pakistan in the build up during the summer of 2001.

Colin Powell has done an excellent job and is one of the big reasons I'll be voting for Bush in 2004. The national security team Bush has in his cabinet is probably the best this country has ever had in its history.

STING2 said:
Its not Powells fault that these countries did not want to do what was necessary to ensure the disarmament of Iraq after 12 years of failure in that regard.

Please cite the relevant U.N. resolutions, just for old times' sake. :D

paxetaurora said:
I think Arun simply means that Rumsfeld has carried out his duties consistently and forthrightly, whether or not you agree with how he has carried them out. Just my guess--I'm no Rummie fan, and I don't think Arun is, either.

exactly,....But to be honest..he's the guy in the administration I like the most.

Back
Top Bottom