FaithfulAmerica.org

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wish more people felt this way...but I'm sure there will be many that don't, feel that we shouldn't offer any apology, that this shows we're weak, etc.:|

I signed the petition. I agree with the intent of the organization, which is simply to represent ordinary Americans of faith, in abhoring the immoral and cruel acts committed by some bad people.

They need to amend the commercial to say they will work hard to remove the Bush Administration from power because he condoned and allowed this criminal behaviour.

Right-wing domination of Christianity has gone too extreme; it was only a matter of time before the pendulum would start swinging in the opposite direction. I believe that, while right-wing Christians still scream the loudest, the pendulum has now just started to swing the other direction. It will probably be a few years before it swings completely.

Melon

I guess it depends on where you stand. With denominations backing away from the inherency of Scripture or even the divinity of Christ over the years, I've thought the pendulum was already to the left.

nbcrusader said:
Feels better when we can point the finger, huh

absolutely,

with trhis corrupt dishonest administration.

thousands are dying, billions are being squandered, Ai'queda is being empowered by policys based on half-truths and flatout lies.

Morality will never be the Job of government and it's a damn good thing too. This is a good initiative because it gets a peaceful and constructive message out there and it is in no way affiliated with the US government.

It is interesting that Melon notes a shift from the right to the left in Christianity because down here we have pretty much left wing church related organizations and members taking an active role on political issues such as Refugees, War and Public Morality. It is generally seen as a response to conservative government, I guess that it is a good example of a working secular society - The Church will oppose the State wherever possible.

Last edited:
deep said:

absolutely,

with trhis corrupt dishonest administration.

thousands are dying, billions are being squandered, Ai'queda is being empowered by policys based on half-truths and flatout lies.

....which is what FaithfulAmerica.org is all about?

In my neck of the woods the pendulum is always to the right. It's only with national issues that I ever get a chance to express a liberal faith-based opinion.

It is not the governments duty to dictate morals to the people, that is unwarrented influence from government into peoples lives that should never occur, I am not saying that elected officials shouldnt have morality I am stating that the government does not exist to run peoples lives for them, it exists to maintain order and regulate but not to become a domineering force over citizens individual rights.

A_Wanderer said:
It is not the governments duty to dictate morals to the people, that is unwarrented influence from government into peoples lives that should never occur

Are you serious?

So what's all the hubub about gay marriage then? Or abortion? Talk about unwarranted influence from a government dictating morals to the people.

Excatly Abortion, Gay Marriage are all examples of the government trying to dictate morals to their citizens and it is wrong, Idealy the government would allow these practices because they do not themselves harm other human beings and are should all be legal.

the very existence of government is a neccissary evil because without structure society tends self-destruct. Another important distinctionis that law is different than morality.

Last edited:
Klaus said:
Why should the government care if citizens are harmed? isn't that morality?

No, that's the tenets of secular humanism as well. If government operated according to secular humanism, all religions would be free to be practiced free of government influence, with the government operating free of religious influence. The guiding principle, in short, would be that freedom would be upheld to the highest degree, as long as an act does not infringe on others' freedoms. Hence, you'd have laws against theft, murder, and, yes, there could be an argument against legalizing drug / tobacco use, as when these people get sick, they would be a drain on the public health system.

The problem, at least from where I am, is that Americans are painfully ignorant of philosophy, and have forgotten what secular humanism really is--in spite of the fact of this being the primary philosophy behind the Constitution.

Melon

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom