"Eye for an eye":"treat others the way you wish they would treat you" for you it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
"Eye for an eye":"treat others the way you wish they would treat you" for you it

Which do you use with people?

I'm trying to lean to the latter, but more often it's the former.

I think for all of us, we treat others as we would like to be treated, but human nature sometimes wins out and you go into "an eye for an eye" mode.

I treat everyone as I'd like to be treated. I try to be a nice person. I generally can take a lot of abuse, but when someone hits the line, I go "eye for an eye" on their ass.

Peaseblossom said:
I treat everyone as I'd like to be treated. I try to be a nice person. I generally can take a lot of abuse, but when someone hits the line, I go "eye for an eye" on their ass.

Exactly. Same for me, except i cant take all that much abuse. Well, at least not when i'm over stressed and going through a rough moment.

What goes around comes around. Sometimes, you just can't let people walk all over you.

baker6621 said:
"An eye for an eye will leave the world blind."

that's one of my fav quotes from ghandi...i think it's very telling...i do as god would have me do.

"do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

You might be interested to know that the original meaning of the phrase 'An eye for an eye' meant ONLY an eye for an eye. It was supposed to encourage proportionate retribution, so if someone cut your eye out, you wouldn't go and stab them to death, you would (only) cut out their eye. Also, I guess that you don't have to choose between these two ways of living. Treating other people as you would like to be treated is a good way of getting on in the world, like a kind of mutual assurance, but for someone like Jesus, his moral code is a lot more radical and not at all reciprocal. You have to do good to people who have done you no good at all. It's a brave thing to be able to live like that.

We can't forget Don King's Quote after the Tyson/Holyfield Biting Debacle...

"Don't Juuudge, Lest Ye Be Juuuuuged."

L.Unplugged

Stories for Boys said:

that's one of my fav quotes from ghandi...i think it's very telling...i do as god would have me do.

"do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

it's spelled gandhi :yes:

thats a good way to kill off the world!

I believe I will opt for the "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Back
Top Bottom