Explosion in KUWAIT CITY - maybe missle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

womanfish

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
No details yet. I wouldn't think this would be one of ours WAY off track, so I'm assuming Iraq is firing more on Kuwait, this would be the first one not intercepted by patriots.

on msnbc they are saying that kuwaiti tv is reporting a missle hit near a mall based on eyewitnesses and the type of fire and damage. no one is confirming anything yet. although this is apparently a "western-type" mall, according to the anchors.

Please allow me to start the propaganda:

It was done by the CIA.
We did it to Kuwait.
George Bush ordered it to happen.
It was not an attack by Iraq, but the US.

it is a conspiracy!!!!!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Thank you, foray - luckily my father has been 'paranoid' enough over the last few months and has foreseen something like this, and he somehow convinced the rest of my family not to go out to such malls (which admittedly are very few).

The mall in question was indeed a 'Western mall', and one of the most unsightly and superficial, in my opinion. It was huge, glitzy and completely lacking in any taste. Having said that, I spent plenty of great times there and remember watching many great movies, albeit censored, with old school mates. It does feel very strange to know that it was bombed.

Apparently only two people were hurt, not seriously injured. Thats good news.

Ant.

That is good news Anthony. Glad they are all safe and sound, and I am glad that a potential incident was not as bad as it could have been.

Peace

A serious situation for any ships headed to Iraq (read humanitarian supplies). The missle fired was a Chinese made Silkworm anti-ship missle launched from a fixed sit in southern Iraq.

I'm glad your folks are OK, Anthony. It does seem to have been a Silkworm. I hope this is not too bad for the humanitarian aid. I saw a shipment being unloaded last night by British troops. I hope they got to the people who need the aid.

"It was an American cruise missile, we know from the markings and writing on it,"

Explosion, Said to Be From Missile, Rocks Empty Mall in Kuwait

By CRAIG S. SMITH

KUWAIT, Saturday, March 29 ? An explosion rocked an empty shopping mall on the waterfront early today in Kuwait City, the capital, sending a huge plume of white smoke towering into the sky. Kuwaiti officials said a missile that had landed in the water nearby was responsible.

Witnesses who gathered shortly after the explosion at 1:45 a.m. local time could see a twisted piece of metal on the esplanade near the shoreline about the size of a wastebasket and bearing the number "5420" in red. The words "place" and "protractor" could also be made out on a shard. Emergency workers put fragments into bags that they took away for analysis.

Despite indications that a missile had struck near the rear entrance to the Sharq mall, by the Sharqiah cinema, witnesses said they did not hear air-raid sirens that would indicate an incoming missile.

Some Kuwaiti officials who examined the fragments said they believed an errant American cruise missile had been fired from the Persian Gulf toward Iraq.

"It was an American cruise missile, we know from the markings and writing on it," said a Kuwaiti police colonel who did not give his name. "It doesn't go up, it comes in low from the sea, and that's why there was no alert."

Another uniformed Kuwaiti official said that he, too, believed the missile to have been American and said that it "came from the sea." He then added that "it was a mistake" that it had struck Kuwait.

In Washington, the chief Pentagon spokeswoman, Victoria Clarke, asked about reports that Kuwaiti officials were blaming an American missile for the damage, said it was too early to tell what had happened or whose missile it was.

The Associated Press reported that unidentified American officials in Washington said the missile appeared to have been a Chinese-built Silkworm launched from southern Iraq.

The mall, about a mile and quarter from Al Saif, the palace of Kuwait's governing emir, had been closed for the Muslim holy day. The official Kuwaiti news service reported two people wounded. The blast shattered windows, scattered ceiling tiles and ruptured water pipes in the mall, in the Souq Sharq district.

Talal al-Zamanan, who was sitting in a cafe on the opposite side of the mall when the explosion occurred, said that if the missile had struck on a Wednesday night, before the Islamic weekend, the area would have been crowded with people.

A few of the emergency workers who rushed to the scene wore gas masks, which they kept on for a short time, and members of the Czech Republic's Chemical Protection Battalion took away chemical samples, saying their analysis would probably be able to determine the missile's origin. A faint chemical scent of what some people described as rocket propellant hung in the night air.

Rather than sending people scrambling for shelter, the explosion drew a crowd of onlookers.

Officials say more than 10 missiles have come into Kuwait airspace since the beginning of the war in Iraq, with most having been shot down by Patriot missiles. None of the Iraqi missiles have caused significant damage or injuries.

Back
Top Bottom