Expedition to search for Noah's Ark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/04/26/noah.ark.ap/index.html

"A joint U.S.-Turkish team of 10 explorers plans to make the arduous trek up Turkey's tallest mountain, at 17,820 feet, from July 15 to August 15, subject to the approval of the Turkish government, said Daniel P. McGivern, president of Shamrock- The Trinity Corporation of Honolulu, Hawaii."

"The goal: to enter what they believe to be a mammoth structure some 45 feet high, 75 feet wide and up to 450 feet long that was exposed in part by last summer's heat wave in Europe."

""We are not excavating it. We are not taking any artifacts. We're going to photograph it and, God willing, you're all going to see it," McGivern said."

"Explorers have long searched for an ark on the high slopes of Mount Ararat, where the biblical account of the Great Flood places it."

"In 1957, Turkish air force pilots spotted a boat-shaped formation in Agri province. The government did not pursue the sighting, however. The entire area, including Mount Ararat, was off limits to foreigners because of Soviet complaints that explorers were U.S. spies."

"McGivern and Ahmet Ali Arslan, a Turkish mountain climber who grew up in a town near Mount Ararat, say satellite photos have helped them pinpoint a more exact location. Arslan will be leading the expedition."

These 'expeditions' have been going on for years and years. There have been arks and rumors of arks.

This is the first time that I know of that they are going to be using specific satellite information to guide the search. Some large structure is up there. We should know by August if its the Ark or not.

Yes, some 5,000 year-old gigantic wooden ark is up there, in spite of the elements. :| If there is an "ark" up there, it is a hoax, perpetrated under the same logic as many medieval hoaxes--people needed to "see" to believe.

A flood did happen 5,000 years ago, and it created the Black Sea. But it did not cover the Earth; there would be scientific evidence proving it, not to mention millions of dead bodies from all the dead humans and animals (remember, two of each animal or whatever...) that should circle the globe.

Sorry...science makes this Biblical myth seem downright ridiculous. And they're only going to photograph it? How convenient...a hoax can then reach mythic status, and those who would want to prove its validity would be as ridiculed as those who tried to study the Shroud of Turin.

Melon

Last edited:
It is a fact that satellite evidence has pointed to what appears to be a large structure on the Mountain, which indeed is unusual with or without an Ark. What they find when they get up there though could be something different than what the Satellite evidence shows or suggests. Regardless of one's beliefs or thoughts on the whole topic, I think it will be interesting to see what they find or do not find. I think this is the most extensive search into an area that has been off limits for much of the past few decades.

I saw a movie about this at the theater when I was about 5 or 6. I think it was called "In Search of Noah's Ark." They have known there is a 'large wooden object' up there at least since the 70's but maybe they didn't use a satellite, I don't know. The movie showed details of how people went up there in the snow looking for it and had a theory that it had split in two and the other half of the ark had fallen farther down the side of the mountain and lodged in more rock. Maybe newer technology will help them find out.

I sure hope they find the two sets of footprints from every existing species of animal surrounding the ark. That way the naysayers will finally be proven that you can in fact cram two of every living animal in a 45 feet high, 75 feet wide and up to 450 feet long structure.:wink:

it would be great if the explorers found it, walked through it, photographed the inside of the structure and presented the evidence to the world.
that the structure was under water i think carbon dating is out of the question. i think some people would become nervous if they found this evidence to substaniate the bibical account however.

md.

Last edited:
max d. said:
it would be great if the explorers found it, walked through it, photographed the inside of the structure and presented the evidence to the world.
that the structure was under water i think carbon dating is out of the question. i think some people would become nervous if they found the bibical account to be verified by this evidence however.

md.

Why would it make anyone nervous, just take a look at what Melon said. Even if you did carbon date it, it just proves that there was a large ark built and a flood, it doesn't prove a flood that wiped out the world and somehow the world repopulated by all the animals on board and the handful of humans.

The ark does not exist, I guarantee that if there is a level headed and objective survery this will be proven to be bunk.

The problem lies in the Turkish government; they usually don't let people up there to explore, although there have been expeditions in the past. Why they won't is not certain...

A_Wanderer said:
The ark does not exist, I guarantee that if there is a level headed and objective survery this will be proven to be bunk.

Were their large boats around the time the area known today as the Black Sea was flooded, I think there may have been. It may not be the large structure described above and it may not have come to rest on that particular mountain, but man certainly had the capability to build a vessel large enough to carry a large group of people and their live stock.

JOFO said:
The problem lies in the Turkish government; they usually don't let people up there to explore, although there have been expeditions in the past. Why they won't is not certain...

I've read that until several years ago they were cautious not to disturb the (then) Soviet Union, who would bring up spying charges. The region is quite close to the border, so they would be careful with expeditions in that region. Don't know when that 'fear' ended (since the Soviet Union dissolved 12 years ago).
I also don't know about the safety/stability of the region.

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom