Ever Want to Punch God in the Head?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
martha said:
At least if you're pissed and shouting, you're still talking and communicating with Him. Just make sure to cool it every now and again so you can hear His responses. Make it a dialogue.

Very good point. I am shouting.....believe me.

MsGiggles said:
My dad died when I was three, my friend's fiance was killed in a horrible car crash and a co-worker's son was killed in Iraq recently to name a few - I can see why some people have a hard time believing God exists. I've always believed in God, even though sometimes I don't think he hears me - and I also believe in heaven - streets of gold, pearly gates, never ending banquet - I know my loved ones are in a much better place than I am and someday I'll be hangin' with them again :yes:

yolland said:

And when all else fails, just go back to shouting for awhile. As coemgen said, God's tough--He can take it. I do find, though, that often when I'm in shouting mode, it's more that I've temporarily lost recognition of who God is, and am in fact really shouting at myself. So if it just feels draining and not at all productive...that may be why.

This makes sense to me! Thank you!

Re: Re: Ever Want to Punch God in the Head?

Se7en said:

i haven't bothered to read through this entire thread, but i will say dreadsox that this should be enough evidence for people to realize god is not in the building.

we have each other.

why can't that be enough?

i feel for your losses. take care.

It should be enough shouldn't it?

I've dealt with some of the same questions you've been dealing with before, too, Dread. Some excellent posts here, though, that make some sense and have some good answers in them :up:.

I'm so sorry to hear that things are rather rough right now for you :hug:. Here's hoping that everything begins to look up for you soon :). Don't hesitate to call on any of us if you need anything, too, okay?

Angela

I sometimes think God is an easy answer for a complex world that cannot be explained. God is someone to praise and curse. I even joke that God was created by a governing body out of a goal to control the masses and to control the otherwise lawlessness of humanity. We train ourselves to be civilized and religious teachings show us how to live and then we obey the laws (including common sense rules) that are out there. I really don't know. That whole statement is BS but I have no clue. Neither does the next guy. When I think about life and how little I am in the importance of things it scares me, but I would hate to think that there is some higher being out there that we all answer to. It can't be that simple because there is no universal God, what if someone was born into a family that did not belive the same beliefs as "Joe Schmoe" and they live on the other side of the world and will never hear Joes story. Who gets to go to heaven?? If only one did that would be simply unfair. Questions like that make me believe only in the rare goodness of people and that somehow we are here to do better than the last guy. I know Churches are good at heart for the most part but everyone's a hypocrate... and Church is just another big business selling the next best lifestyle. I think that I would like to believe, I was raised to believe, but I just don't know any more.

I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts this Christmas. I know that when one person is being stretched to the max, everyone else feels it too.

And you know, anytime I went through something terrible, I kept thinking, maybe it is fortuitious that it was me and not somebody who maybe couldn't cope. You're such a strong guy, mentally and in your faith, regardless of where you are right now, that maybe you are shouldering more than most precisely because you are able to.

anitram said:
I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts this Christmas. I know that when one person is being stretched to the max, everyone else feels it too.

And you know, anytime I went through something terrible, I kept thinking, maybe it is fortuitious that it was me and not somebody who maybe couldn't cope. You're such a strong guy, mentally and in your faith, regardless of where you are right now, that maybe you are shouldering more than most precisely because you are able to.

Anitram...thank you for this viewpoint.

I have a feeling punching God in the head could shatter's one fist.

That being said, I've always liked Bono's description of the Psalms. He calls them the blues of the Bible, David screaming out in anger at God.

God and I aren't on the greatest terms these days either...

You're in my prayers, Dread.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I have a feeling punching God in the head could shatter's one fist.

That being said, I've always liked Bono's description of the Psalms. He calls them the blues of the Bible, David screaming out in anger at God.

I like that description. When reading through the Psalms, sometimes it seems like a fist fight - David swinging away in his pain and doubt.

I like the comedian Dane Cook's bit he does about wanting to punch people in the FACE......I have been saying that a lot when I am frustrated or mad at someone! It makes me laugh and instead I don't get all mad. It works for me!

I certainly would not want to punch God in the face, that might hurt. I also am a strong believer in "what goes around comes around" and wouldn't want to see what God might do to me to retaliate!

No, I don't feel that way. (like wanting to punch God in the Head)

Whenever I have felt distant from God or feel like He/She hasn't listened to me, I have to remind myself of God's Promise to ALWAYS HEAR ME and TO NEVER LEAVE ME. :wink:

And then I have to admit that somehow I have removed myself from awareness of God's Presence and begin the process of reconnecting to God.

I agree - trying to punch God in the head would probably only shatter your fist (come back to hurt you). :angel:

My Stubborn Irish grandmother is about 24 hours away from meeting the good Lord. She was given five years to live in 1982. She worked a job up until six months ago.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when she gets to heaven and see what she has to say to the good lord. Last summer she told me she was still pissed off at my grandfather for passing in 1990. She may not punch the Lord in the head, but I think my grandfather is about to get his ass kicked.

Interesting thread, but it's kind of hard to punch someone in the head that doesn't exist, no? :wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
LOL, I had a grandmother like that.

Love your new avatar.

Thanks...

She passed at 5:30 today.

I am so thankful that my daughter pressed us to go drive the 8 1/2 hours to be with her at Thanksgiving.

We just spent the early evening here looking at famikly pictures. I started laughing and crying tears at the picture of her dressed as Paula Abdul two summers ago. My family has spent a week together for the last 16 years, in the month of July on the Jersey Shore.

We used to celebrate a holiday and put a play on Thursday night of the week we were there. When American Idol came my grandmother asked the family to put on Ocean City Idol two summers ago. SO instead of a play, on the night of the week when we had about 25 people living in the house, we put on our first Ocean City Idol.

Mom Mom was Paula Abdul and the judge. I performed "Little Bitty Pretty One" with my uncle (four years older than me) and my brother in law........We won:wink:

ANyways, Mom Mom tonight is in heaven with her beloved husband. 80 Years old and full of Irish Spunk.

I just arrived home from the British Beer Company having a few toasts in her memory.

"Hear me knocking, Kocking at your door."

Amen.

I am so relieved that she did not suffer. She is at a better place.

I just got off the phone with my father, and she apparently had paid for her own funeral within the last few months, so she knew her time was coming apparently, and set up all of the directions with the Priest. No WAKE, she left a note for everyone saying if you want to sit around and talk about me you can, but not in front of me.

I will leave for NJ Sunday to be with my family to have that talk :hug:

Dreadsox said:
My Stubborn Irish grandmother is about 24 hours away from meeting the good Lord. She was given five years to live in 1982. She worked a job up until six months ago.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when she gets to heaven and see what she has to say to the good lord.

Dread,

I just got a message from a fly that was on the wall.

He said God was wearing one of these :huh:

Back
Top Bottom