Ever heard....of Mark Heard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonofnattic

The Fly
The other post about favorite lines brought this songwriter to my mind. I'd read where Bruce Cockburn had referred to the late Mark Heard as his favorite lyricist at one point....even recording a song in memory called "Closer to the Light".

Anyway, he was a prolific songwriter who never got "big".
one of my favorite lines:

"Before I could fashion my poverty / Before I mistrusted the night / I must've known something...I must've known something / Those are the days I live for tonight / Why, why why?...Tell me why, momma, why? / Why can't I sleep in peace tonight, underneath the Satellite Sky?"

Appropriate for these times, methinks.
smile.gif

I'm a huge fan of some huge fans of Mark Heard, but I'm only familiar with him through their work. Ever hear of Harrod and Funck? Mark Heard produced their first album just before he died (actually I think they were still working on the album when he died). On their second album, they covered a Mark Heard tune, "Worry Too Much".
If I'm gonna buy one Heard album, what should it be?

I've heard of the band you mentioned. They're on the Mark Heard tribute album, "Strong Hand of Love".

To answer your question...you can't buy just 'one' Mark Heard disc. Impossible!

Seriously, if I were to recommend one, it would be "Second Hand", although it's really great, it's heavy & brooding in my opinion. I'd also check out "Dry Bones Dance" and "Satellite Sky".

Back
Top Bottom