ETA suspects arrested in France

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup, apparently they caught the head dude and his partner. Headlines this morning (El Pais) read:

"La policia francesa descabeza a ETA".

Batasuna, an outlawed Basque political party, has said that the PSOE government has "torpedoed" any possibilty of talks and finding a solution to the Basque problem.

Batasuna profile here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2211696.stm

This sounds like BS though because a week ago ETA released a video saying that they will continue using violence. ETA has no intenetion of talking. They also condemned the "Plan Ibarretxe" which is a plan to allow certain autonomies (Catalunya, Pais Vasco) to hold referendums on sovereignty.

The Plan Ibarretxe is a time-wasting plan created by a time-wasting miscreant. Ibarretxe and his Batasuna party can pretty much continue with what they do best - shooting the breeze publically and privately support ETA behind the scenes. Its what they'll do anyway.

Good news, though. Though I don't believe that the French police have indeed decapitated ETA, but its a step in the right direction.

Ant.

Anthony said:
The Plan Ibarretxe is a time-wasting plan created by a time-wasting miscreant. Ibarretxe and his Batasuna party can pretty much continue with what they do best - shooting the breeze publically and privately support ETA behind the scenes. Its what they'll do anyway.

Ant.

Why so much dislike for the plan? Maybe you could explain your thoughts a bit more.

iacrobat;

The plan is entirely unilateral in nature, and puts Spain, if it were to accept it, in the awkward position of breaking down its consitution, not to mention the convenants it has accepted under EU law. Essentially, the plan serves its nationalistic goals in the most indulgent of ways; we are back to square one. Should the plan ever finally be enacted, the Basque Country would stay out of Spain and the European Union, for all intents and purposes, something that the vast majority of the Basque simply do not want. According to his plan, self-determination is purely unilateral, relies heavily on breaking up even MORE territories, relies on economic autonomy without even having an economic plan (The Basque country's economy would inevitably collapse) and reeks of ethnic nationalism. These are just the classical arguments, but if I were to be purely candid with you, I would have to say that Mr. Ibarretxe's 'plan' is nothing more but his age-old manifesto made to look more diplomatically acceptable to those interested, when it is still spouting the same dated ideals, misguided arguments and a sense of nationalistic pride that borders on the insane.

Ultimately, I have a lot of dislike for this plan and the man behind it, because he is, essentially, the heart of the problem. Yes, ETA are the ones blowing everyone up, but his philosophy is definately adding fuel to the fire.

Ant.

Back
Top Bottom