equality blooms with spring, pt. II - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #741
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,738
Local Time: 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
Both/and. The latter is a direct connection to (and result of) the former.
You need to get your variables straight, here. Assume that the effect of being fatherless on the child is one equation, and the effect of the absent father on the mother, which then impacts the son is another equation. What I'm saying is that I've read several studies saying that the latter equation is more damaging to the child than the former. It's not the absence of the father that's most damaging, it's the way his absence impacts the mother economically and emotionally that causes greater damage.


But...red herring.
__________________

VintagePunk is offline  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #742
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,443
Local Time: 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
great. now we both know that you've never answered my question because you "don't need to."
I'm not talking about lesbian moms, or about their sons. I'm talking about the need for fathers. Which was a question you asked.
__________________

nathan1977 is offline  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #743
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,395
Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
It's not the absence of the father that's most damaging, it's the way his absence impacts the mother economically and emotionally that causes greater damage.


which constitutes the bulk of what Obama was saying.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #744
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,395
Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
I'm not talking about lesbian moms, or about their sons. I'm talking about the need for fathers. Which was a question you asked.


no -- the question i asked was what specific parenting techniques can a father perform that a mother never, ever could. i.e., if Steve and Martha were to become parents, what could Steve, and only Steve, do, that Martha never, ever could?

you said that fathers can't have babies. fine. but that's not parenting.

i absolutely agree that children are harmed by absent fathers. i agree that a mother's ability to parent often goes down with an absent father. i agree that children do best -- usually -- with two parents (assuming that two parents are fit to parent).

however, none of this is tied to essential gender characteristics.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #745
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,443
Local Time: 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
You ask who cares what you believe?
The statistics don't lie, BVS. Statistically speaking, cohabitation is on the rise. Statistically speaking, people are having children later in life. Statistically speaking, the primary reason more and more people are getting married is not because of sexual activity, or even because of a relationship. It's all to do with settling down. We don't need to discuss my beliefs on the matter; we can discuss the facts. It's far more relevant, don't you think?

Quote:
Complete and utter bullshit!!!
Would you like the names and telephone numbers of my friends who adopted and experienced this? They might be able to give you some life experience.
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #746
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,443
Local Time: 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
which constitutes the bulk of what Obama was saying.
Seriously?

"It's up to us - as fathers and parents - to instill this ethic of excellence in our children. It's up to us to say to our daughters, don't ever let images on TV tell you what you are worth, because I expect you to dream without limit and reach for those goals. It's up to us to tell our sons, those songs on the radio may glorify violence, but in my house we live glory to achievement, self respect, and hard work. It's up to us to set these high expectations. And that means meeting those expectations ourselves. That means setting examples of excellence in our own lives."

You're right. It was just about dollars and cents.
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #747
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,443
Local Time: 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
no -- the question i asked was what specific parenting techniques can a father perform that a mother never, ever could. i.e., if Steve and Martha were to become parents, what could Steve, and only Steve, do, that Martha never, ever could?
And the statistics have revealed the role that fathers play -- particularly with boys.
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #748
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,395
Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
Would you like the names and telephone numbers of my friends who adopted and experienced this? They might be able to give you some life experience.


erm, BVS was adopted.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #749
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,395
Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
And the statistics have revealed the role that fathers play -- particularly with boys.


you're the STING of gay marriage.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #750
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
The statistics don't lie, BVS. Statistically speaking, cohabitation is on the rise. Statistically speaking, people are having children later in life. Statistically speaking, the primary reason more and more people are getting married is not because of sexual activity, or even because of a relationship. It's all to do with settling down. We don't need to discuss my beliefs on the matter; we can discuss the facts. It's far more relevant, don't you think?
Did you even read the rest of my post? Or does being called out as a hypocrite hit too close to home?


Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
Would you like the names and telephone numbers of my friends who adopted and experienced this? They might be able to give you some life experience.
Life experience? Wow...

I am adopted and have been surrounded by those who are and have adopted all my life.

I'll refrain from posting some of the things that I really wanted to type.
BVS is offline  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #751
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,443
Local Time: 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
erm, BVS was adopted.
That's great. Many adoptive parents still have difficulty bonding with their kids, particularly those who adopt later-age kids, as several of my friends have done.
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #752
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,395
Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
That's great. Many adoptive parents still have difficulty bonding with their kids, particularly those who adopt later-age kids, as several of my friends have done.


and as we know, your experience trumps all?
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #753
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,443
Local Time: 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Did you even read the rest of my post? Or does being called out as a hypocrite hit too close to home?
To be honest, I wasn't really sure what point you were making.

Quote:
I am adopted and have been surrounded by those who are and have adopted all my life.
That's great. I have friends who have adopted and have really struggled, particularly since they chose to adopt kids who were older. It certainly doesn't negate your experience, but it doesn't negate my friends' either. It's certainly not worth calling my friends experience "complete and utter bullshit," as you did.
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #754
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,443
Local Time: 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
and as we know, your experience trumps all?
No, but it sure doesn't make it less valid.
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #755
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,395
Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
That's great. I have friends who have adopted and have really struggled, particularly since they chose to adopt kids who were older. It certainly doesn't negate your experience, but it doesn't negate my friends' either. It's certainly not worth calling what my friends went through "complete and utter bullshit," as you did.


but it does negate your equally totalizing claims about what is and what isn't best for children.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #756
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,443
Local Time: 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
you're the STING of gay marriage.
No, I'm the STING of gender essentialism. There's a difference.
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #757
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,395
Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
No, but it sure doesn't make it less valid.


not less valid, but surely incomplete and not nearly enough to make sweeping statements about biology, sociology, and history.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #758
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,443
Local Time: 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
but it does negate your equally totalizing claims about what is and what isn't best for children.
Really? How so? When talking about adoption, I wasn't talking about the experience of the child -- I was talking about what parents go through.
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #759
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,395
Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
No, I'm the STING of gender essentialism. There's a difference.


i will concede this point.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 11-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #760
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,738
Local Time: 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
Seriously?

"It's up to us - as fathers and parents - to instill this ethic of excellence in our children. It's up to us to say to our daughters, don't ever let images on TV tell you what you are worth, because I expect you to dream without limit and reach for those goals. It's up to us to tell our sons, those songs on the radio may glorify violence, but in my house we live glory to achievement, self respect, and hard work. It's up to us to set these high expectations. And that means meeting those expectations ourselves. That means setting examples of excellence in our own lives."

You're right. It was just about dollars and cents.
And mothers can't tell their children these things? These are the specific domain of fathers? If that were the case, my kid would have been screwed.

Look, Obama's speech was great and all, but it's hardly the definitive, statistical mine that you're making it out to be. I just reread the speech, and here is the only part where he quotes statistics:

Quote:
We know that more than half of all black children live in single-parent households, a number that has doubled — doubled — since we were children. We know the statistics — that children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime; nine times more likely to drop out of schools and 20 times more likely to end up in prison. They are more likely to have behavioral problems, or run away from home or become teenage parents themselves.
and there's not one thing in there that can't be explained by the mother being adversely impacted economically and emotionally, and that impact affecting her ability to parent effectively.
__________________

VintagePunk is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Random Risque U2 Pictures (PT II) FallingStar PLEBA Archive 147 07-28-2003 02:01 PM
MERGED --> When will Cleveland II be? + Rock Hall Celebration (Spring) CMM Interference Gatherings 80 04-14-2003 09:02 PM
Getcher Classical on! Psst...Dieman. Johnny Swallow Lemonade Stand Archive 8 03-07-2003 03:53 PM
the Europe photos pt. II (including interferencers!!!) sulawesigirl4 Lemonade Stand Archive 61 01-05-2003 02:29 PM
When hormones go bad Pt. II: MacPhisto WildHonee PLEBA Archive 9 11-02-2001 06:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×