equality blooms with spring, pt. II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have said that I would like to see this court hand down a decision so Roberts, Alito, Scalia, and Thomas could go down on the wrong side of history. Kennedy might vote with them and possibly Sotomayor.

I believe it would be eventually overturned by a later court, just like Plessy.

I don't believe Sotomayor would vote with the right on this issue.

From observing her (albeit short) time on the court thus far, she seems to be interested in expending her judicial capital on certain ingrained corporate principles and I think that, along with labour laws is where her fight and her controversy will lie. Almost everyone expects her to vote with the left on the issue of gay marriage and I think she'll do so because it's the easy thing in a way.

Elisabeth Hasselbeck made a curious analogy Friday on 'The View.' She asked Portia de Rossi, who is married to Ellen Degeneres, whether marriage equality is just a semantic distinction as outrageous as women wanting to be called men.

"Take men and women. Women want all the rights of men, but they're not asking to be called men," Elisabeth said. "Do you think...is the word [marriage] more important than the rights?"

"No, of course the word isn't more important than the rights," Portia responded. "Without the word, we don't have equal rights."

Portia continued to eloquently dismantle Elisabeth's reasoning.

"Every citizen of this country should have that legal right to be married," she said. "Marriage the word actually does mean something because people who see a gay coupling as a lesser thing in society can continue to [think] it's lesser than marriage when really it's the exact same thing. The exact same love, the exact same commitment, love of family."

YouTube - Portia De Rossi on The View - December 4 2009 - Part 2

In other great speech news:

YouTube - NYS Senator Diane Savino speaks on the Marriage Equality bill

Some choice quotes:

"Turn on the television. We have a wedding channel on cable TV devoted to the behavior of people on the way to the altar. They spend billions of dollars, behave in the most appalling way, all in an effort to be princess for a day. You don't have cable television? Put on network TV. We're giving away husbands on a game show. You can watch The Bachelor, where thirty desperate women will compete to marry a 40-year-old man who has never been able to maintain a decent relationship in his life."

"That's what we've done to marriage in America, where young women are socialized from the time they're five years old to think of being nothing but a bride. They plan every day what they'll wear, how they'll look, the invitations, the whole bit, they don't spend five minutes thinking about what it means to be a wife. People stand up there before god and man even in Senator Diaz's church, they swear to love honor and obey, they don't mean a word of it. So if there's anything wrong with the sanctity of marriage in America, it comes from those of us who have the privilege and the right and have abused it for decades."

Some choice quotes:

"Turn on the television. We have a wedding channel on cable TV devoted to the behavior of people on the way to the altar. They spend billions of dollars, behave in the most appalling way, all in an effort to be princess for a day. You don't have cable television? Put on network TV. We're giving away husbands on a game show. You can watch The Bachelor, where thirty desperate women will compete to marry a 40-year-old man who has never been able to maintain a decent relationship in his life."

"That's what we've done to marriage in America, where young women are socialized from the time they're five years old to think of being nothing but a bride. They plan every day what they'll wear, how they'll look, the invitations, the whole bit, they don't spend five minutes thinking about what it means to be a wife. People stand up there before god and man even in Senator Diaz's church, they swear to love honor and obey, they don't mean a word of it. So if there's anything wrong with the sanctity of marriage in America, it comes from those of us who have the privilege and the right and have abused it for decades."

That was fantastic. Very well said, Senator Savino!

I also liked her anecdote about the random stranger on the street who stopped to talk to her and questioned her viewpoint.

She and this complete stranger could waltz into the appropriate office tomorrow and get a marriage license, and no one there would deny the validity of their relationship or deny their request to get married.

TRENTON, N.J. — "The Boss" is backing gay marriage in the Garden State.

Bruce Springsteen posted a statement on his Web site urging support of the gay marriage bill that's up for a vote in New Jersey's Senate on Thursday.

Like many of you who live in New Jersey, I've been following the progress of the marriage-equality legislation currently being considered in Trenton. I've long believed in and have always spoken out for the rights of same sex couples and fully agree with Governor Corzine when he writes that, "The marriage-equality issue should be recognized for what it truly is -- a civil rights issue that must be approved to assure that every citizen is treated equally under the law." I couldn't agree more with that statement and urge those who support equal treatment for our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters to let their voices be heard now.

Parent Files Complaint Against Gay Teacher Over “Child’s Sense of Innocence” - The Sexist - Washington City Paper

Margaret C. Hemenway, identifying herself as a D.C. Public Schools parent, claims to have filed a complaint with Chancellor Michelle Rhee over her seven-year-old child’s “sense of innocence.” At what exact moment was the first-grader’s innocence whisked away from her, never to be returned? The moment little Hemenway’s teacher at Tenleytown’s Horace Mann Elementary allegedly announced to her first-grade class that she was planning to marry a woman. Think. Of. The. Children.

Hemenway recounts the horror for Parents and Friends Of Ex-gays (PFOX):

Our first-grader astonished her father at the end of the past school year as he dropped her off at our local Washington DC public school, Horace Mann Elementary, where he had attended school in the early 60s. She relayed to him that her teacher announced her impending marriage—to another woman—to the class. Following her revelation, this teacher encouraged questions from the children.

Our daughter also mentioned a book the teacher read aloud, “Uncle Bobby’s Wedding,” about two male “gay” guinea pigs, promoted by the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Transgender Lobby for children. Since homosexual activists cannot reproduce their own children, recruitment to their cause (especially at a young age, before parents have raised such sensitive and controversial topics with their children) is essential to the political agenda of promoting homosexuality and “gay” marriage.

Nowadays, most parents are resigned to the fact that a gay guinea pig will inevitably steal their daughter’s sense of innocence, and there’s nothing they can do about it. Not Hemenway. Hemenway began the slow bureaucratic process of getting innocence restored:

Most parents would not consider a Q&A session with first-graders about homosexual marriage as an “age-appropriate” discussion. After our daughter’s revelation, we lodged a complaint with Chancellor Rhee’s office, requesting an investigation, and asking what department in the DC Government we can appeal to for restoration of our child’s sense of innocence? We are still awaiting feedback from the school on whether there is a Teacher’s “Code of Conduct” and what D.C. policy is on “age appropriate” sexuality education.

By the way, when does “sexuality education” finally become “age appropriate” for D.C. schoolkids? According to Hemenway, “There are sound reasons that sexuality topics are not generally introduced in school until fifth grade, at an age when some children begin to ask how babies are made.”

I think if straight teachers can tell students that they are getting married then gay people should be able to do exactly the same. I would question whether or not the teacher opened it up to questions and there's not enough information about that in the article. I don't think straight or gay marriages of teachers should be a subject of questions/discussion for students. You have to maintain a professional line and for me that would be it. And the key for me would be both straight and gay marriages.

I don't know enough about the book and why it was read and all the details to form an opinion about that.

I think there's enough information in the ether about gay marriage and the fact that it exists and that gay people exist. Enough that any mention of it in school is not stealing a seven year old's sense of innocence. I think one flick of a tv switch could easily do that-and it would have nothing to do with gay people or gay marriage.

Tokyo, Japan (CNN) -- Nene Anegasaki is a witty, doe-eyed beauty. She looks perfectly perky in sexy skirts, doesn't pick fights and is always at one Tokyo man's beck and call -- that is why the 27-year-old decided to marry her.

The only complication: She is a videogame character in the Nintendo DS game called "Love Plus."

Still, that didn't stop Sal 9000 -- the only name the groom would give -- from marrying Nene in a ceremony witnessed live by thousands on the Web.

When asked if Nene is his dream woman, Sal replied, "Yes, she is. Her character changes to my liking as we talk and travel to different places."

Japan's Internet community has witnessed relationships and marriages to avatars, though it's typically been within the confines of the virtual world. Last month, Sal decided to be the first human-to-avatar union. Clad in a white tux, Sal married Nene in front of some friends and Web users watching the ceremony live online.

The wedding, while not legally binding, was Sal's way of expressing his devotion to his avatar girlfriend.

"I love this character, not a machine," said Sal, when asked about whether he can love an electronic device. "I understand 100 percent that this is a game. I understand very well that I cannot marry her physically or legally."

Glad to see the bigoted hegemony that marriage is between a real man and a real woman is finally crumbling.

Your definition never said anything about real, you didn't give a shit as long as it was man and woman, so you should be praising this sanctity of marriage...

I'm sure the "man marries goat/giraffe/dog" posts are almost upon us.

Lather, rinse, repeat!

remember how a few weeks ago, we were talking about how the Catholic Church in DC was threatening to stop helping the poor if, God forbid, they had to extend benefits to same-sex partners of their employees and most of us were like, "get over it already."

well, turns out they did.

Legalization of Same Sex Marriage in the Nation’s Capital
Archdiocese Remains Committed to Serving Poor

December 15, 2009

Today the District of Columbia joined a handful of states where legislatures or courts have redefined marriage to include persons of the same sex. Since this legislation was first introduced in October, the Archdiocese of Washington opposed the redefinition of marriage based on the core teaching of the Catholic Church that the complementarity of man and woman is intrinsic to the definition of marriage. However, understanding the City Council was committed to legalizing same sex marriages, the archdiocese advocated for a bill that would balance the Council’s interest in redefining marriage with the need to protect religious freedom. Regrettably, the bill did not strike that balance.

The Archdiocese of Washington and Catholic Charities are deeply committed to serving those in need, regardless of race, creed, gender, ethnic origin or sexual orientation. This commitment is integral to our Catholic faith and will remain unchanged into the future.

Religious organizations have long been eligible to provide social services in our nation’s capital and have not been excluded simply because of their religious character. This is because the choice of provider has focused on the ability to deliver services effectively and efficiently. We are committed to serving the needs of the poor and look forward to working in partnership with the District of Columbia consistent with the mission of the Catholic Church.

Susan Gibbs
Director of Communications
301-853-4517
gibbss@adw.org

Box Turtle Bulletin ? Washingon Archdiocese: Forget We Said All That

The Archdiocese of Washington and Catholic Charities are deeply committed to serving those in need, regardless of race, creed, gender, ethnic origin or sexual orientation. This commitment is integral to our Catholic faith and will remain unchanged into the future.

:up:

This is one of the few things that I have always found impressive in the Catholic Church (both on a small and large scale).

Glad to see the bigoted hegemony that marriage is between a real man and a real woman is finally crumbling.

Either you're fucking with us (I sincerely hope so, and hey, a Bill Hicks fan has to have a good sense of humor) ... or you're an idiot.

:up:

This is one of the few things that I have always found impressive in the Catholic Church (both on a small and large scale).

You're lapsed Catholic too, right? I am thinking of going through the formal process of leaving the RC empire. Apparently there's a process you can go through of formally renouncing membership of the RC church and I'd rather be definitive at this point. I'd rather not do the typical Irish Catholic agnostic thing of "I don't really believe in God but I do think there's something out there but the parents wouldn't approve and anyway I'd prefer to hedge my bets, just in case ". I might ask my cousin about this over the Christmas - he's atheist too. He usually makes a point of announcing or in some way alluding to it over Xmas dinner, which I always get a laugh out of.

Either you're fucking with us (I sincerely hope so, and hey, a Bill Hicks fan has to have a good sense of humor) ... or you're an idiot.

Yes, well I have the distinct impression that some FYM'rs take Indy's posts a bit too seriously at times. :wink:

You're lapsed Catholic too, right? I am thinking of going through the formal process of leaving the RC empire. Apparently there's a process you can go through of formally renouncing membership of the RC church and I'd rather be definitive at this point. I'd rather not do the typical Irish Catholic agnostic thing of "I don't really believe in God but I do think there's something out there but the parents wouldn't approve and anyway I'd prefer to hedge my bets, just in case ". I might ask my cousin about this over the Christmas - he's atheist too. He usually makes a point of announcing or in some way alluding to it over Xmas dinner, which I always get a laugh out of.

Guess who did the typical Irish Catholic agnostic thing of not wanting to make the parents upset? THIS GUY. I actually think I could tell my mother I killed a guy and she'd be less upset than if I said I was leaving the Church.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom