equality blooms with spring, pt. II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I guess what I should have said is that nobody can discuss morality in a purely secular manner.

In one way or another, your belief system is what you eventually turn to when you are asked "why" you believe what you believe.
Again this is plainly wrong, please pick up a book on ethics and observe how grown ups treat issues of right and wrong.

somehow belittling homosexuals it is not going to make that so ever again. The days of women taking a supporting role to her leading man's life are over--gay marriage or not.

interesting

interesting

Your thoughts?

Perhaps you take exception to the specific language I used, but I think you can agree that assigning specific traditional gender roles to heterosexual men and women is an exercise in futility, even if you completely remove sexuality from the equation. Not even Sarah Palin can fit into those roles.

you are not answering my question.

I am trying to (again). However, before we can continue the discussion I think it's wise we agreed on some of the basic terminology.

If you won't define vagina - would you at lease concede there is a difference between a vagina and a penis?

I am trying to (again). However, before we can continue the discussion I think it's wise we agreed on some of the basic terminology.

If you won't define vagina - would you at lease concede there is a difference between a vagina and a penis?

yes, of course there is a difference. a penis is the male sex organ, a vagina is a female sex organ.

now, why is having one of each absolutely so critical to the definition of marriage?

i'm trying to actually give you something here. both Sarah Palin and Hillary Cilnton are always going to have their vaginas, no matter how untraditional (or traditional) they may define their own gender roles.

yes, of course there is a difference. a penis is the male sex organ, a vagina is a female sex organ.

You asked...
i would like to know what it is about our relationship that lacks in comparison to any and all other heterosexual relationship

I implied that one critical difference between your relationship (a homosexual one) and a heterosexual marriage is that in a heterosexual marriage - there is a man (as defined by having a penis, a male sex organ) and a woman (as defined by having a vagina, a female sex organ).

At this point, I am not saying either relationship/marriage is right or wrong - just different. Will you concede that?

You asked...
i would like to know what it is about our relationship that lacks in comparison to any and all other heterosexual relationship [/i]

I implied that one critical difference between your relationship (a homosexual one) and a heterosexual marriage is that in a heterosexual marriage - there is a man (as defined by having a penis, a male sex organ) and a woman (as defined by having a vagina, a female sex organ).

At this point, I am not saying either relationship/marriage is right or wrong - just different. Will you concede that?

so what is it about these not right or wrong but different relationships that enables one to have a privileged status over the other?

you notice that you're now moving away from sex to just gender -- again, what is it about a male/female relationship (no matter who the people are) that makes it better than a same-sexed relationship?

so what is it about these not right or wrong but different relationships that enables one to have a privileged status over the other?

Irvine, thank you for your patience. Unfortunately, I must ask for even more patience from you - so please bear with me as we walk through this. One of the problems in our past discussions is that we make some assumptions and points get missed, questions go unanswered (or misunderstood), and we go off on yet another tangent. I seriously believe I have something to learn from you - a beautiful, wonderful human being that is obviously very intelligent, thoughtful, and downright funny. If nothing else, we both love U2 so we have that to build on.

Also, I am sometimes pulled away from the blue crack and can't answer as quickly (or as thoroughly) as some would prefer. Believe me, I know the feeling of posting a pertinent question and it isn't answered for hours - or sometimes never. It just happens. The thread moves on - topics change - and when that person returns they pick up from the last page. Please believe me when I say that I do try to answer each and every question. However, I am sometimes forced to pick and choose which questions I answer more in depth than others. More than anything, this is a time constraint issue. Also, it seems I am mostly going at it alone this time around...with the possible exception of Barack Obama video clips :)

Thank you for understanding.

Since we cannot productively discuss my spiritual views on this particular matter (I'm not belittling that - you wish to keep this tangent on a social, legal, and biological level and I will try and respect that), I would like to ask you - which would you consider more important to the health and survival of any given human society, successful biological reproduction or personal sexual fulfillment?

Wow. We have a winner. I don't even want to count the number of words you used to make it look like you were actually answering the question. And then you didn't answer the question. You haven't yet. You never will. You'll just type out a lot of civilized words and articulate-sounding thoughts, and poof! A pseudo-answer.

But I think I know where you're going with this, and if you go there, I'll have another question for you not to answer.

Irvine, thank you for your patience. Unfortunately, I must ask for even more patience from you - so please bear with me as we walk through this. One of the problems in our past discussions is that we make some assumptions and points get missed, questions go unanswered (or misunderstood), and we go off on yet another tangent. I seriously believe I have something to learn from you - a beautiful, wonderful human being that is obviously very intelligent, thoughtful, and downright funny. If nothing else, we both love U2 so we have that to build on.

Also, I am sometimes pulled away from the blue crack and can't answer as quickly (or as thoroughly) as some would prefer. Believe me, I know the feeling of posting a pertinent question and it isn't answered for hours - or sometimes never. It just happens. The thread moves on - topics change - and when that person returns they pick up from the last page. Please believe me when I say that I do try to answer each and every question. However, I am sometimes forced to pick and choose which questions I answer more in depth than others. More than anything, this is a time constraint issue. Also, it seems I am mostly going at it alone this time around...with the possible exception of Barack Obama video clips :)

Thank you for understanding.

Since we cannot productively discuss my spiritual views on this particular matter (I'm not belittling that - you wish to keep this tangent on a social, legal, and biological level and I will try and respect that), I would like to ask you - which would you consider more important to the health and survival of any given human society, successful biological reproduction or personal sexual fulfillment?

This. This is the question I keep coming back to in this whole debate. So far it's gone unanswered. Why deny two consenting adults the protections of the state afforded to others who also want to join into a monogamous, committed relationship?

AEON?

Indy?

Bueller?

Some of us have come around on civil unions or domestic partnerships because we agree that equal protection should apply to same-sex unions. Doesn't mean we want to call that union a marriage however.

But who's stopping gays from entering into a monogamous, committed relationships?

Aeon? No
Indy? No
The citizens of California, Maine and all the other states that voted in support of traditional marriage? No

now, why is having one of each absolutely so critical to the definition of marriage?

i'm trying to actually give you something here. both Sarah Palin and Hillary Cilnton are always going to have their vaginas, no matter how untraditional (or traditional) they may define their own gender roles.

Because the number of spouses may have changed with time. The method of arrangement as well. But gender has never, ever been irrelevant to the structure of marriage until the current debate.

:)

that is very kind of you, thank you, same back at you.

which would you consider more important to the health and survival of any given human society, successful biological reproduction or personal sexual fulfillment?

firstly, i reject that either of these is critical to a marriage, or that they are mutually exclusive.

however, i would actually say that sexual fulfillment is more important. why? sex creates children, and sexually fulfilled people are likely to be happier people, and happier people tend to be better parents, citizens, etc. the earth is overpopulated as it is, and as people tend to become wealthier and more educated, they tend to have fewer children. quality over quantity, imho.

as another thought: we all agree that children do best in stable households. would it not be an unambiguous positive if there were more gay people, unable to have children of their own, who are in stable, committed, protected marriages who might then be more inclined to adopt children in need of homes.

in fact, don't we all benefit when adults -- especially, dare i say it, adult males -- have an investment in their own stability?

(this is not to say, however, that one can't be perfectly happy and productive as a single adult, or that one can't be the same without children -- there are many, many ways to live, and there are many for whom societal conventions aren't a good fit).

Some of us have come around on civil unions or domestic partnerships because we agree that equal protection should apply to same-sex unions. Doesn't mean we want to call that union a marriage however.

But who's stopping gays from entering into a monogamous, committed relationships?

Aeon? No
Indy? No
The citizens of California, Maine and all the other states that voted in support of traditional marriage? No

why do you want more government in our lives? isn't this the opposite of freedom? isn't this more tyranny, the creation of an entire second class set of relationship?

Because the number of spouses may have changed with time. The method of arrangement as well. But gender has never, ever been irrelevant to the structure of marriage until the current debate.

i'll first point to the Jefferson quote, and i'll also point to the fact that the financial independence of women and the untethering of marriage to childbirth has changed "traditional" marriage far more dramatically than same-sex marriage ever will.

also, we're dealing with a small minority -- 5% or so of the population -- who were all but socially invisible even a generation ago.

it is new. i understand that. but i also haven't seen a single argument put forth that references anything other than "that's the way it's always been."

it's intellectually indefensible, and that's why the opponents go for the gut -- your children will be taught how to be gay in schools! -- and they put it up to a popular vote, something to which african-americans were never subjected.

minority rights are a very, very tough sell to the majority, and it could be seen as rather remarkable that nearly 50% of people in ME and CA were on board with same-sex marriage. further, clear majorities endorse either SSM or a civil union, and the younger you go, the clear the support for SSM is.

ask yourself -- why are you on the wrong side of history on this? why don't the kids agree with you?

So now we're back to INDY's favorite: STATUS QUO...

Life must be easy for you.

Some of us have come around on civil unions or domestic partnerships because we agree that equal protection should apply to same-sex unions.
Similar to the health care debate, this is one good thing that is coming out of these debates, you're SLOWLY coming around to doing the right thing.

You still want seperate but equal, well actually in most cases seperate and unequal.

Aeon? No
Indy? No

When Maine voted against Gay Marriage by a 53 - 47 margin
Washington voted for Gay Civil Unions, it was called everything but marriage - all the same rights and benefits, by a margin of 52 -48.

Aeon, Indy and people that think like them are not the ones that are preventing gays from having equal rights.

If California and Maine had the same ballot as Washington, very good chance at least 2-3 per cent would have been swayed to vote the other way and gays would have equal protection.

:)

that is very kind of you, thank you, same back at you.

firstly, i reject that either of these is critical to a marriage, or that they are mutually exclusive.

however, i would actually say that sexual fulfillment is more important. why? sex creates children, and sexually fulfilled people are likely to be happier people, and happier people tend to be better parents, citizens, etc. the earth is overpopulated as it is, and as people tend to become wealthier and more educated, they tend to have fewer children. quality over quantity, imho.

as another thought: we all agree that children do best in stable households. would it not be an unambiguous positive if there were more gay people, unable to have children of their own, who are in stable, committed, protected marriages who might then be more inclined to adopt children in need of homes.

in fact, don't we all benefit when adults -- especially, dare i say it, adult males -- have an investment in their own stability?

(this is not to say, however, that one can't be perfectly happy and productive as a single adult, or that one can't be the same without children -- there are many, many ways to live, and there are many for whom societal conventions aren't a good fit).

I thought you would give at least a few kudos to the biological function of reproduction, but you don't seem think this is important.

Do you think it is possible, that society "thought it prudent" (as Melon would say) to incentivize marriage in order to encourage the survival and stability of the society? In other words, it is not that other relationships are necessarily denied anything, they are simply not incentivized. Therefore, there is no violation of any civil rights.

If it is no longer prudent, as you seem to point out above, then perhaps you would contend the fair solution is just to remove the incentives?

Gay marriage does nothing to interfere with successful biological production, nor is it an inherently superior form of personal sexual fulfilment over heterosexual sex. As such, I call "false dichotomy."

Very simple. Write a law that replaces all current legislation that makes reference to marriage as "a man and a woman" and replace it with "two people."

All related state concerns regarding marriage ages, the permitted degree of cousin marriages, polygamy, etc. etc. etc. are already addressed in other laws, so by merely amending the basic marriage law to be gender neutral, no further cans of worms are opened. If future generations wish to alter laws to contract or expand how close of a cousin you can be or to even legalize polygamy across the board, for instance, then they would have to amend those laws specifically at a later time and would cover everyone equally across the board. Gender discrimination in marriage, however, is increasingly unacceptable in light of contemporary revelation.
Melon
The fact that the state regulates marriage already shows that it is not in fact a universal human or civil right (as others here argue). Marriage has always been a privilege bestowed by a compelling state interest on some and denied to others. Your solution would only continue that practice.
Your solution would, however, change marriage from being seen as the bridge between generations and the ideal arrangement for the procreation and rearing of children, to just a legal affirmation of adult romance.

The fact that the state regulates marriage already shows that it is not in fact a universal human or civil right (as others here argue).

But, apparently, some argue that the lesson of "Loving v. Virginia" is that marriage is only a universal human or civil right when it involves interracial marriage.

Jest aside, there is Supreme Court precedent that marriage is more than "state privilege."

Your solution would, however, change marriage from being seen as the bridge between generations and the ideal arrangement for the procreation and rearing of children, to just a legal affirmation of adult romance.

And "legal affirmation" is all that it is, considering that child bearing is not a requirement of heterosexual marriage, and no amount of gay bashing or wishful thinking would make it so.

I thought you would give at least a few kudos to the biological function of reproduction, but you don't seem think this is important.

what? where did i say this? you've surely put words in my mouth here.

Do you think it is possible, that society "thought it prudent" (as Melon would say) to incentivize marriage in order to encourage the survival and stability of the society? In other words, it is not that other relationships are necessarily denied anything, they are simply not incentivized. Therefore, there is no violation of any civil rights.

yes, i absolutely thinks that society thinks it prudent to incentivize marriage, it encourages stability and provides the potential for an optimal environment to raise children. i think marriage is a good thing. i've been saying this over and over.

but, yes, AEON, i, a homosexual, am DENIED access to these benefits on the basis of my sexual orientation. therefore, that becomes a violation of my civil rights. it's not that i have the civil right to get married, the government does not need to find me a spouse. but i should have the civil right to marry a person who also chooses me.

as for fertility, that's entirely moot. we have infertile people who get married, and those who choose not to have children, as well as people who get married later in life. these relationships are surely granted the same privileges as anyone else who enters into the institution.

If it is no longer prudent, as you seem to point out above, then perhaps you would contend the fair solution is just to remove[/] the incentives?

no, i have contended, and continually contend, that all gay people want is to be allowed into the same tent.

stop putting words into my mouth and ascribing theories that i have not even come close to offering.

AEON and INDY: Do either of you think allowing gay marriage to occur will somehow cause a problem with population shortage?

As such, I call "false dichotomy."

which i also pointed to, but AEON took my humoring the question and ran with it into a direction that was entirely disingenuous.

The fact that the state regulates marriage already shows that it is not in fact a universal human or civil right (as others here argue). Marriage has always been a privilege bestowed by a compelling state interest on some and denied to others. Your solution would only continue that practice.

i look forward to your support of marriages not being granted until a couple produces a biological child belonging to the two parents. :)

as such, i am denied, on the basis of an immutable characteristic that harms no one, barred from ever being considered for said "state interests."

upon what grounds, INDY, is it not in the state's interest to provide Memphis and myself with the title of a marriage?

if you do nothing else tonight, INDY, please answer me that.

what is it that's so awful about us?

If I weren't so lazy, or in the middle of trying not to spend $1000 to go see Steve's grandma turn 100 years old, I would do a search and find this exact same conversation with the exact same words and the exact same players from a few years ago. Good gravy. AEON and INDY will repeat their pointless justifications for fear and exclusion, using Jesus and children as shields, and the rest of us will grow impatient with them. Meanwhile, the world will spin forward, and this kind of thinking will fall out of favor.

:sigh:

Marriage has always been a privilege bestowed by a compelling state interest on some and denied to others. Your solution would only continue that practice.

Every intelligent being, including yourself knows the faults in this statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom