equality blooms with spring, pt. II - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #461
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Yes, but I would raise issues of moral hazard here.

In other words, if it's ok for a bank to take massive risks on the markets because they have been given the nod that if their bets go wrong, the taxpayer will ultimately bail them out, then it seems to me that, in a somewhat similar fashion, the system is saying that it's ok for a sexually promiscous heterosexual type to conceive a bunch of kids they don't have the financial resources to care for - because, hey, even if I can't take care of my kids, some nice heterosexual OR homosexual couple that can't conceive on their own can just adopt them.

In both cases, there's a risk that prudence goes out the window.
Yes, because women would casually go through a nine month pregnancy without really thinking twice about it.
__________________

phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #462
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: all around in the dark - everywhere
Posts: 3,531
Local Time: 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Yes, but I would raise issues of moral hazard here.

In other words, if it's ok for a bank to take massive risks on the markets because they have been given the nod that if their bets go wrong, the taxpayer will ultimately bail them out, then it seems to me that, in a somewhat similar fashion, the system is saying that it's ok for a sexually promiscous heterosexual type to conceive a bunch of kids they don't have the financial resources to care for - because, hey, even if I can't take care of my kids, some nice heterosexual OR homosexual couple that can't conceive on their own can just adopt them.

In both cases, there's a risk that prudence goes out the window.
__________________

Se7en is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #463
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
But, more importantly, as far as the law is concerned, you don't have to have children to get married. I understand that a lot of marriages do result in couples deciding they want children, but legally, there's no requirement. So, there really doesn't need to be any discussion of this here.
I don't know Peef, if we can't talk about the The Children, then we have to go back to the real reason homos can't get married:







They make people uncomfortable.
martha is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #464
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,663
Local Time: 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Yes, but I would raise issues of moral hazard here.

In other words, if it's ok for a bank to take massive risks on the markets because they have been given the nod that if their bets go wrong, the taxpayer will ultimately bail them out, then it seems to me that, in a somewhat similar fashion, the system is saying that it's ok for a sexually promiscous heterosexual type to conceive a bunch of kids they don't have the financial resources to care for - because, hey, even if I can't take care of my kids, some nice heterosexual OR homosexual couple that can't conceive on their own can just adopt them.

In both cases, there's a risk that prudence goes out the window.
People should stop adopting because it only encourages promiscuous people to have more babies?

I'm having trouble understanding how that has any bearing on our discussion.
Diemen is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:14 PM   #465
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Yes, because women would casually go through a nine month pregnancy without really thinking twice about it.
So teen pregnancies aren't a problem? How come so much efforts are invested in discouraging them?
financeguy is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #466
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
I don't know Peef, if we can't talk about the The Children, then we have to go back to the real reason homos can't get married.


They make people uncomfortable.
Once when I was still in school, a male friend told me that it's not that he really cared about gay marriage one way or another but that he thought that two men kissing was "really gross."

And while I found that to be sort of childish and eyeroll worthy, I actually respected him for his honesty rather than parroting some church sermon, or the slippery legal slope towards the union of man and giraffe, or save the children! At least his view was his own.
anitram is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #467
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 10:57 AM
I thought we were discussing the reasons gays shouldn't be allowed to get married?

So far poor AEON hasn't come up with a good reason. At all.
martha is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #468
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
So teen pregnancies aren't a problem? How come so much efforts are invested in discouraging them?
I'm not saying teen pregnancies aren't a problem, dude. That's an entirely different issue. What I'm saying is that at no point before they get pregnant do they think, "Hey, you know what? I don't really mind if I get pregnant because I can just put it up for adoption." Which is the only thing you can be implying for your post to make any sense and have relevance in this conversation.

And if this is the argument you're making, how does homosexual couples being allowed to adopt change anything? It's not like adoption doesn't exist now.
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #469
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,663
Local Time: 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
I thought we were discussing the reasons gays shouldn't be allowed to get married?

So far poor AEON hasn't come up with a good reason. At all.
It's because the state shouldn't be involved in marriages at all.







Not that that in any way addresses why gays shouldn't be allowed to get married, mind you...
Diemen is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #470
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
People should stop adopting because it only encourages promiscuous people to have more babies?
Yes, of course, and banks should not grant loans to anyone at all ever because some of the loans might go bad.
financeguy is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #471
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Once when I was still in school, a male friend told me that it's not that he really cared about gay marriage one way or another but that he thought that two men kissing was "really gross."

And while I found that to be sort of childish and eyeroll worthy, I actually respected him for his honesty rather than parroting some church sermon, or the slippery legal slope towards the union of man and giraffe, or save the children! At least his view was his own.
This is what I'm waiting for AEON to break down and admit, rather than all this polite, horrifying sermonizing about the State, the Children, and the Bible.
martha is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #472
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Ásgarðr
Posts: 11,782
Local Time: 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
And if this is the argument you're making, how does homosexual couples being allowed to adopt change anything? It's not like adoption doesn't exist now.
Because once the gays want to partake in something, it's now time to ban it for everyone?
melon is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #473
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
AEON's entire line of thinking is based on things like "ideal" or "optimal" upbringings. There's no such thing, and the sooner we get past that, the better.
Is that true for anything - or just adoption?
AEON is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #474
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Once when I was still in school, a male friend told me that it's not that he really cared about gay marriage one way or another but that he thought that two men kissing was "really gross."

And while I found that to be sort of childish and eyeroll worthy, I actually respected him for his honesty rather than parroting some church sermon, or the slippery legal slope towards the union of man and giraffe, or save the children! At least his view was his own.
Didn't you used to be a scientist?
financeguy is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #475
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
It's because the state shouldn't be involved in marriages at all.







Not that that in any way addresses why gays shouldn't be allowed to get married, mind you...

I guess that's it, but he still won't tell me if he's going to get a civil divorce to illustrate his point, or if he's still going to reap the benefits of civil marriage, meanwhile pointing out how no one else should be allowed to have what he has. And claims he doesn't need.
martha is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #476
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
Is that true for anything - or just adoption?
I'm saying there's no perfect way, and I'm saying that the most important factors in raising kids have NOTHING to do with biological vs. adopted or straight vs. gay. They have to do with the character of the prospective parents. They have to do with the kind of home the parents can provide financially. Things like that. Important things. You're talking about things that really don't matter at all.
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #477
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
Because once the gays want to partake in something, it's now time to ban it for everyone?

Yes. So, as a favor, would you guys start wearing sweats in public with words across the ass? I'd really like these banned, please.
martha is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #478
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I'm saying there's no perfect way, and I'm saying that the most important factors in raising kids have NOTHING to do with biological vs. adopted or straight vs. gay. They have to do with the character of the prospective parents. They have to do with the kind of home the parents can provide financially. Things like that. Important things. You're talking about things that really don't matter at all.
Adoption has NOTHING to do with the gay marriage question, but as long as he keeps us talking about it, then we forget what the real topic is.
martha is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #479
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
Crying that somebody should think of the children is a lame tactic designed to take equal rights out of the discussion.
This tangent was created by addressing the adoption issue asked by philly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26
Homosexuals should be allowed to marry and raise families via either adoption or artificial insemination and given the same rights as heterosexuals for both the marriage and the family raising. Someone tell me why this isn't a good idea
AEON is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #480
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
This tangent was created by addressing the adoption issue asked by philly:
Oh please. You'll do anything to avoid the real issue.
__________________

martha is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Random Risque U2 Pictures (PT II) FallingStar PLEBA Archive 147 07-28-2003 02:01 PM
MERGED --> When will Cleveland II be? + Rock Hall Celebration (Spring) CMM Interference Gatherings 80 04-14-2003 09:02 PM
Getcher Classical on! Psst...Dieman. Johnny Swallow Lemonade Stand Archive 8 03-07-2003 03:53 PM
the Europe photos pt. II (including interferencers!!!) sulawesigirl4 Lemonade Stand Archive 61 01-05-2003 02:29 PM
When hormones go bad Pt. II: MacPhisto WildHonee PLEBA Archive 9 11-02-2001 06:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×