equality blooms with spring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only if you look at court rulings. When the people speak, same-sex marriage is 0 for 30 something. Not that matters of course.

do people get to vote on your marriage?

anyway, it's an interesting question, because the more we have gay marriage, the more the Christians get used to the idea, and the old white men start to die:

Will Iowans Uphold Gay Marriage?
by Nate Silver @ 7:18 PM
Bookmark and Share Share This Content

The Iowa Supreme Court ruled today that same-sex marriage is protected under that state's constitution.

As in California, there will of course be an effort to amend the state constitution to prohibit gay marriage. In Iowa, however, the hurdle to amending the constitution is fairly high: it will have to be approved by two consecutive sessions of the state legislature and then by a majority of the voters. Most likely, this means that Iowans won't vote on the issue until 2012.

This is good news for defenders of marriage equity, because while you might know it from Proposition 8's victory last year, voter initiatives to ban gay marriage are becoming harder and harder to pass every year.

I looked at the 30 instances in which a state has attempted to pass a constitutional ban on gay marriage by voter initiative. The list includes Arizona twice, which voted on different versions of such an amendment in 2006 and 2008, and excludes Hawaii, which voted to permit the legislature to ban gay marriage but did not actually alter the state's constitution. I then built a regression model that looked at a series of political and demographic variables in each of these states and attempted to predict the percentage of the vote that the marriage ban would receive.

It turns out that you can build a very effective model by including just three variables:

1. The year in which the amendment was voted upon;
2. The percentage of adults in 2008 Gallup tracking surveys who said that religion was an important part of their daily lives;
3. The percentage of white evangelicals in the state.

These variables collectively account for about three-quarters of the variance in the performance of marriage bans in different states. The model predicts, for example, that a marriage ban in California in 2008 would have passed with 52.1 percent of the vote, almost exactly the fraction actually received by Proposition 8.

Unsurprisingly, there is a very strong correspondence between the religiosity of a state and its propensity to ban gay marriage, with a particular "bonus" effect depending on the number of white evangelicals in the state.

Marriage bans, however, are losing ground at a rate of slightly less than 2 points per year. So, for example, we'd project that a state in which a marriage ban passed with 60 percent of the vote last year would only have 58 percent of its voters approve the ban this year.

All of the other variables that I looked at -- race, education levels, party registration, etc. -- either did not appear to matter at all, or became redundant once we accounted for religiosity. Nor does it appear to make a significant difference whether the ban affected marriage only, or both marriage and civil unions.

So what does this mean for Iowa? The state has roughly average levels of religiosity, including a fair number of white evangelicals, and the model predicts that if Iowans voted on a marriage ban today, it would pass with 56.0 percent of the vote. By 2012, however, the model projects a toss-up: 50.4 percent of Iowans voting to approve the ban, and 49.6 percent opposed. In 2013 and all subsequent years, the model thinks the marriage ban would fail.

Below are the dates when the model predicts that each of the 50 states would vote against a marriage ban. Asterisks indicate states which had previously passed amendments to ban gay marriage.

2009 (now)
Vermont
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Maine
Rhode Island
Connecticut
Nevada*
Washington
Alaska*
New York
Oregon*

California*
Hawaii
Montana*
New Jersey
Colorado*

Wyoming
Delaware
Idaho*
Arizona*

Wisconsin*
Pennsylvania
Maryland
Illinois

Michigan*
Minnesota
Iowa
Ohio*
Utah*
Florida*

New Mexico
North Dakota*
Nebraska*
South Dakota*

Indiana
Virginia*
West Virginia
Kansas*

Missouri*

Texas*

North Carolina
Louisiana*
Georgia*

Kentucky*

South Carolina*
Oklahoma*

Tennessee*
Arkansas*

Alabama*

Mississippi*

The model predicts that by 2012, almost half of the 50 states would vote against a marriage ban, including several states that had previously voted to ban it. In fact, voters in Oregon, Nevada and Alaska (which Sarah Palin aside, is far more libertarian than culturally conservative) might already have second thoughts about the marriage bans that they'd previously passed.

By 2016, only a handful of states in the Deep South would vote to ban gay marriage, with Mississippi being the last one to come around in 2024.

It is entirely possible, of course, that past trends will not be predictive of future results. There could be a backlash against gay marriage, somewhat as there was a backlash against drug legalization in the 1980s. Alternatively, there could be a paradigmatic shift in favor of permitting gay marriage, which might make these projections too conservative.

Overall, however, marriage bans appear unlikely to be an electoral winner for very much longer, and soon the opposite may prove to be true.

Only if you look at court rulings.

Of course this shouldn't matter at all.

Not like you live in a common law system or anything like that.

Whenever you hear people screaming about judicial activism, you can bet that it's the result they have an issue with. But that's okay, they did this in the 60s too when the women and the blacks came for their slice of the pie. We see now how relevant and loving that attitude was.

The good thing about having a constitution is that the wolves don't always get to decide whether they want to eat the sheep or not.

The good thing about having a constitution is that the wolves don't always get to decide whether they want to eat the sheep or not.

This is a joint statement from Iowa Senate Majority Leader Mike Gronstal and Iowa House Speaker Pat Murphy on today’s Supreme Court decision:

“Thanks to today’s decision, Iowa continues to be a leader in guaranteeing all of our citizens’ equal rights.

“The court has ruled today that when two Iowans promise to share their lives together, state law will respect that commitment, regardless of whether the couple is gay or straight.

“When all is said and done, we believe the only lasting question about today’s events will be why it took us so long. It is a tough question to answer because treating everyone fairly is really a matter of Iowa common sense and Iowa common decency.

“Today, the Iowa Supreme Court has reaffirmed those Iowa values by ruling that gay and lesbian Iowans have all the same rights and responsibilities of citizenship as any other Iowan.

“Iowa has always been a leader in the area of civil rights.

“In 1839, the Iowa Supreme Court rejected slavery in a decision that found that a slave named Ralph became free when he stepped on Iowa soil, 26 years before the end of the Civil War decided the issue.

“In 1868, the Iowa Supreme Court ruled that racially segregated “separate but equal” schools had no place in Iowa, 85 years before the U.S. Supreme Court reached the same decision.

“In 1873, the Iowa Supreme Court ruled against racial discrimination in public accommodations, 91 years before the U.S. Supreme Court reached the same decision.

“In 1869, Iowa became the first state in the union to admit women to the practice of law.

“In the case of recognizing loving relationships between two adults, the Iowa Supreme Court is once again taking a leadership position on civil rights.

“Today, we congratulate the thousands of Iowans who now can express their love for each other and have it recognized by our laws.”

I also read an interesting comment on California versus the Midwest...heh.

On another note, I have to note how many comments I’ve seen all over every news outlet and blog that has covered this story wherein Californians (and presumably east-coasters) react dismissively with a lot of cyncicism, or else condescendingly are amazed that a “midwestern” or “heartland” state would grant equal rights before their home states. For those who don’t follow politics and civil rights too closely, and think of the entire middle of the country as a monolithic expanse of Walmarts, cornfields and megachurches, you need to inform yourselves. Iowa is part of a block of upper midwestern states (along Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois - sometimes but not usually Michigan) that tend to vote and legislate progressively and are often on the forefront of the expansion of liberties, as the speaker’s coments on Iowa’s history. It is these states that have given America such progressive heroes as Abraham Lincoln, Hubert Humphrey, Walter Mondale, Russ Feingold, Tammy Baldwin and Barack Obama. On the other hand, California has given the country Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, Bob Dornan and Randy “Duke” Cunningham.

I love California, and visit there often, but I think Californians have actually started to believe the wingnuts’ criticism of “ultra-liberal” California, when in fact, this just refers to San Francisco and Berkley. You would think that the Prop 8 vote would’ve been a wake-up call.

Contrast the above with Obama's response, unfortunately:

“The President respects the decision of the Iowa Supreme Court, and continues to believe that states should make their own decisions when it comes to the issue of marriage. Although President Obama supports civil unions rather than same-sex marriage, he believes that committed gay and lesbian couples should receive equal rights under the law.”

How underwhelming, as expected. Perhaps he should've said nothing at all.

2012 is just around the corner, (and 2010 midterms are in play, now.)

and he won't lose any blue states

it is the purple - leaning blue, like Virginia and a few others that must be considered,

States Rights argument sounds odd, even weak,
I remember how it was used during the Civil Rights days. :no:

INDY, i have a serious question.

do you see the "gay rights movement" (for lack of a better term) as something that comes from the sexual revolution of the 1960s or of the civil rights movement of the 1960s?

Iowa was one of the first to lift the ban on interracial marriage as well...

And they apparently integrated their schools 100 years before the judicial activism of Brown V. Board.

This is a joint statement from Iowa Senate Majority Leader Mike Gronstal and Iowa House Speaker Pat Murphy on today’s Supreme Court decision:

Thanks for the information, I happily consider myself better informed. :)

more good news.

BREAKING: Vermont Senate Votes 23-5 to Override Marriage Bill Veto

April 7, 2009 10:14AM
Chris Johnson
The Vermont Senate chamber.

BREAKING: The Vermont Senate voted 23-5 to override Gov. Jim Douglas’s (R) veto of the marriage bill.

The House vote is next…

From Marty Rouse, HRC’s national field director, who’s in the middle of the action at the Vermont statehouse:

“The historic and strong senate override vote will be followed by a whisker of a win……for one side. The legislators are flowing into the House chamber and last minute lobbying, winking, and shoulder patting is in full swing.”

what will the VT House do?

Done!

The state Senate voted 23-5 and the House of Representatives voted 100-49 to override Gov. Jim Douglas’s veto, making Vermont the first state to recognize marriage for committed lesbian and gay couples through the legislative process. The Vermont legislation goes into effect September 1.

Time marches on...

as ever, the world only spins forward.

today, i'm proud to be from New England. bravo to CT, VT, and MA.

this is good news

the VT Gov took his "George Wallace last stand in the doorway moment" and the legislators were smart enough to move towards the light.

here is a picture of the Governor vetoing the bill

3_61_040609_flogging2.jpg

and there's more.

D.C. Council Votes to Recognize Other States' Gay Marriages

By Nikita Stewart and Tim Craig
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, April 7, 2009; 3:23 PM

The D.C. Council voted today to recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states, on the same day that Vermont became the fourth state to legalize same-sex unions.

Domestic partnerships are already legal in the nation's capital. But today's vote, billed as an important milestone in gay rights, explicitly recognizes relocated gay married couples as married.

The initial vote was 12-0. The unanimous vote sets the stage for future debate on legalizing same-sex marriage in the District and a clash with Congress, which approves the city's laws under Home Rule. The council is expected to take a final vote on the legislation next month.

Council member Jim Graham (D-Ward 1), who is gay, called the amendment a matter of "basic fairness."

The city's laws on same-sex unions have been murky, he explained. Couples ask, he said, "Is my marriage valid in D.C.? For years now, it has not been clear."

"It's high time we send a clear, unequivocal message to those persons of the same sex and married in another jurisdiction that their marriage is valid in D.C.," said Graham, who added, "I hope this city recognizes this is a human rights struggle."

Council member David A. Catania (I-At Large), who is also gay, predicted it was only a matter of time before the council also takes up a bill to legalize same-sex marriage in the District. "It's no secret that I have been working on legislation that would take us further," he said. "This is the march toward human rights and equality. This is not the march toward special rights. This is the equality march and that march is coming here."

Council member Phil Mendelson (D-At Large), who has been chipping away at barriers for same-sex couples for years, said he saw the legislation as one that is in keeping with the city's laws. "Some are saying it's an important step. I am saying it's a simple step," said Mendelson, who authored the legislation.

Council member Harry Thomas Jr. (D-Ward 5) called the amendment "long overdue."

"We as a council need to stand in the right place and take the gray area out," he said.

INDY, i have a serious question.

do you see the "gay rights movement" (for lack of a better term) as something that comes from the sexual revolution of the 1960s or of the civil rights movement of the 1960s?

Both to some degree. I've never said there haven't been equal protection or discrimination issues that required action. Nor would I begrudge same-sex marriage advocates the opportunity to advance their case. I do, however, have serious worries about their methods. Those being law by judicial fiat, denigration of tradition views & customs and social bullying.

So part civil rights, part loosing of sexual mores but I'd add a third component. Identity politics.

The same idenitity politics by the way that made AIDS a medical AND political issue when it should never have been. And yes, both sides are to blame.

unelected, unaccountable ... oh, wait.

Oh, wait is right.

Actually, this is more what our Founders had in mind.

State laws (democratically imposed of course) that reflect the diverse (Vermont /= Oklahoma) nature of our states and citizens.
As well as states being used as the test-grounds for social and economic experiments, which same-sex marriage surely is. Other states, and the country as a whole, can then monitor the results and in time -- now with some knowledge and experience -- adopt, modify or completely reject what they see.

Federalism. Why it's the forgotten 10th Amendment.

So part civil rights, part loosing of sexual mores but I'd add a third component. Identity politics.

The same idenitity politics by the way that made AIDS a medical AND political issue when it should never have been. And yes, both sides are to blame.

Would you care to explain how the left, or the gay community or whoever it is you are referring helped make AIDS a political issue? Unless you mean people being upset that the issue wasn't being addressed back in the '80s and trying to bring about some public awareness are somehow to blame as much as the folks doing the ignoring.

State laws (democratically imposed of course) that reflect the diverse (Vermont /= Oklahoma) nature of our states and citizens.
As well as states being used as the test-grounds for social and economic experiments, which same-sex marriage surely is. Other states, and the country as a whole, can then monitor the results and in time -- now with some knowledge and experience -- adopt, modify or completely reject what they see.

Federalism. Why it's the forgotten 10th Amendment.

But do we apply this to other issues of Constitutional protection? To wait and see how it goes, mean while generations of people wait to see if their Constitutional protection doesn't offend the majority?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom