Episcopal Bishop Homosexuality is not a Sin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Newly elected leader of the U.S. Episcopal Church Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori said on Monday she believed homosexuality was no sin and homosexuals were created by God to love people of the same gender.

Jefferts Schori, bishop of the Diocese of Nevada, was elected on Sunday as the first woman leader of the 2.3 million-member Episcopal Church. the U.S. branch of the worldwide Anglican Communion. She will formally take office later this year.

Interviewed on CNN, Jefferts Schori was asked if it was a sin to be homosexual.

"I don't believe so. I believe that God creates us with different gifts. Each one of us comes into this world with a different collection of things that challenge us and things that give us joy and allow us to bless the world around us," she said.

"Some people come into this world with affections ordered toward other people of the same gender and some people come into this world with affections directed at people of the other gender."

Jefferts Schori's election seemed certain to exacerbate splits within a Episcopal Church that is already deeply divided over homosexuality with several dioceses and parishes threatening to break away.

It could also widen divisions with other Anglican communities, including the Church of England, which do not allow women bishops.

In the worldwide Anglican church women are bishops only in Canada, the United States and New Zealand. The Robinson issue has been particularly criticized in Africa where the church has a growing membership and where homosexuality is often taboo.

Jefferts Schori, who was raised a Roman Catholic and graduated in marine biology with a doctorate specialization in squids and oysters, supported the consecration of Gene Robinson of New Hampshire, the first openly gay bishop in more than 450 years of Anglican history

The 52-year-old bishop is married to Richard Schori, a retired theoretical mathematician. They have one daughter, Katharine Johanna, 24, a second lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force and a pilot like her mother.

Asked how she reconciled her position on homosexuality with specific passages in the Bible declaring sexual relations between men an abomination, Jefferts Schori said the Bible was written in a very different historical context by people asking different questions.

"The Bible has a great deal to teach us about how to live as human beings. The Bible does not have so much to teach us about what sorts of food to eat, what sorts of clothes to wear -- there are rules in the Bible about those that we don't observe today," she said.

"The Bible tells us about how to treat other human beings, and that's certainly the great message of Jesus -- to include the unincluded."

I can only hope the Lutheran church follows its sister, though there is greater polarization than in the E's. We do share pastors and sacraments with the UCC which has accepted homosexuality for some time.

I read a great article on how the conservative Christian right only wants the 10 Commandments on display (did you see that Rep that could only name 3 haha) but why not the Beaitudes(?) on display. I don't understand why Christ's message ( they are proclaimed Christians:huh: ) seems to lost on them.

:up:

seems so thuddingly obvious, and it saddens me that this is news to some people, but props to her for stating what should be plain as day.

[q]"I don't believe so. I believe that God creates us with different gifts. Each one of us comes into this world with a different collection of things that challenge us and things that give us joy and allow us to bless the world around us," she said. [/q]

this almost brings tears to my eyes.

there are many, many gay kids out there who are going to read these words and hate themselves just a little bit less tomorrow.

baby steps.

It's embarrassing and shameful that most of the worlds religeons can't accept that homosexuality exists in the world. In some religeons gays are total outcasts in their families. It's awful.

The bishop in this news story appears to have opened her eyes to the modern world and not been blinded by some irrelevant ancient scriptures. I wish some other religeons and religeous people would follow her lead.

"Newly elected leader of the U.S. Episcopal Church Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori said on Monday she believed homosexuality was no sin and homosexuals were created by God to love people of the same gender."

We can believe all kinds of things, can't we?

the iron horse said:
"Newly elected leader of the U.S. Episcopal Church Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori said on Monday she believed homosexuality was no sin and homosexuals were created by God to love people of the same gender."

We can believe all kinds of things, can't we?

I am just curious! Was this meant to cause discussion?

Just curious...Since this is a Christian issue - does anyone have a Bible reference to support her claims the homosexuality is not a sin? I would love to read it. After all, opinions are pretty worthless unless they are based on facts. I can think of several that claim otherwises in both the New and Old Testaments:

Genesis 19:4-11, Leviticus 18:22/20:13, Deuteronomy 23:17-18, Romans 1:26-27, I Corinthians 6:9, & I Timothy 1:10

If you claim to be a Christian, please, do me a favor and read up on a little Scripture before making grand statements about the faith. This woman obviously "cut and pastes" what she likes from the Bible and "deletes" what she doesn't like.

AEON said:
If you claim to be a Christian, please, do me a favor and read up on a little Scripture before making grand statements about the faith. This woman obviously "cut and pastes" what she likes from the Bible and "deletes" what she doesn't like.

Just curious....do you believe Christians should follow every rule in the bible?

Or do you cut and paste?

Because brother, if you are going to say that Christians today have not pick and chosen which TRADITIONS they are going to follow in their daily lives, then you damn well better be following the book to the letter of the law.

Last edited:
While I am on it...Christians of years past picked and chose as well.

AEON said:
Just curious...Since this is a Christian issue - does anyone have a Bible reference to support her claims the homosexuality is not a sin? I would love to read it. After all, opinions are pretty worthless unless they are based on facts. I can think of several that claim otherwises in both the New and Old Testaments:

Genesis 19:4-11, Leviticus 18:22/20:13, Deuteronomy 23:17-18, Romans 1:26-27, I Corinthians 6:9, & I Timothy 1:10

My response to this thread is applicable here too. The next time you want to be an arrogant, self-righteous Pharisee, do your research first. I hate Protestant revisionism.

Melon

Last edited:
AEON said:

:lmao:

img-l1-05054000005.jpg

730-103.jpg

melon said:

My response to this thread is applicable here too. The next time you want to be an arrogant, self-righteous Pharisee, do your research first. I hate Protestant revisionism.

Melon
Your angry response is very typical of those who only want their view of the Bible expressed. It is so charged with emotion I can almost envision the steam coming out of your ears as you typed it.

First, let me address your use of the word hate. This is a quote from 1 John 2:9 "Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness."

Secondly, are you a Christian? If not, then it is very difficult to understand the Bible. Christians rely on the Holy Spirit to guide their understanding of the Bible and then apply it.

Thirdly, who in the world said I was a Protestant?

Lastly, where is your tolerance for opposing, alternate views? (not that I am offering an obscure interpretation of the Bible)Shouldn't anyone be free to post a reply without being called a Pharisee - which to me is not much different than a racial slur because 1) you meant it to be a deragatory term and 2) I know full well what the Pharisees represented.

^ i think you'll find that the "condeming" of homosexuality has been debated at length in FYM, hence the somewhat exasperated response.

also, you're not extending Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori the same respect you're demanding for yourself.

AEON said:

You cant be for real.

Have an APIA lady. You've earned it.
image_header-pixie.jpg

AEON said:
Your angry response is very typical of those who only want their view of the Bible expressed. It is so charged with emotion I can almost envision the steam coming out of your ears as you typed it.

First, let me address your use of the word hate. This is a quote from 1 John 2:9 "Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness."

Secondly, are you a Christian? If not, then it is very difficult to understand the Bible. Christians rely on the Holy Spirit to guide their understanding of the Bible and then apply it.

Thirdly, who in the world said I was a Protestant?

Lastly, where is your tolerance for opposing, alternate views? (not that I am offering an obscure interpretation of the Bible)Shouldn't anyone be free to post a reply without being called a Pharisee - which to me is not much different than a racial slur because 1) you meant it to be a deragatory term and 2) I know full well what the Pharisees represented.

Alright, no sarcasm.

Do you really think God and Jesus would treat gays and lesbians differently? Do you think that their very exclusion is anything BUT bigotry? It seems every darn page of this (so-called) factual bible speaks of loving all fellow men, and treating all equally, doing unto others, forgiving, etc etc etc. And here you sit, writing this.

Please elaborate on why your view should be accepted in polite and enlightened circles. Please educate me and everyone else on why Christianity in this regard is not hopelessly misguided. Please do so without quoting the bible. Use your own mind. Thanks.

Angela Harlem said:

Please do so without quoting the bible. Use your own mind. Thanks.

Are you asking me to support a Christian view without quoting the Bible? I think that is my original problem with the whole issue - that so many are not using the Bible to support their Christian views.

I rely on God's wisdom so much more than I would rely on the wisdom of men.

You ask if Jesus would treat gays differently? Would He love them? Yes and yes. But He still taught that sin was sin, and that we are to look to Him for the power to conquer it.

You can still love someone without making them a leader in the Church.

I meant No - Jesus would not treat them different and yes He would love them.

AEON said:
You ask if Jesus would treat gays differently? Would He love them? Yes and yes. But He still taught that sin was sin, and that we are to look to Him for the power to conquer it.

then why did god make 5-10% of every human population, in every culture, on every continent, gay?

AEON said:

As a fellow Christian, I'd like to know where? Show me where in the Bible Jesus condems homosexuality. And DONT just throw in a line or two from the NIV. I want properly exegeted Scripture.....I'll be waiting....

Irvine511 said:

also, you're not extending Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori the same respect you're demanding for yourself.

Now you are being intolorant!!!!

:wink:

AEON said:
You can still love someone without making them a leader in the Church.

I would stake my soul on the fact that there has never been a leader in any church who has sin in their heart, in one way or another. Period.

Unfortunatley, we cannot prove that the leaders of churches have sin in their heart, but the homosexual, who chooses to be honest, forthcoming, and open about WHO they are put bullseyes on themselves. They wear a target that is easy to identify and point at and call out SINNER.

Yet, the priest, rabbi, minister, bishop, that hides their less than obvious desires in the depths of their hearts, hidden from view. We can tolorate that because the bullseye is more often than not, hidden from view.

Irvine511 said:

then why did god make 5-10% of every human population, in every culture, on every continent, gay?

Personally, I think to weed out the hate mongering people of the world from those that have love in their hearts.

Dreadsox said:

Just curious....do you believe Christians should follow every rule in the bible?

Or do you cut and paste?

Because brother, if you are going to say that Christians today have not pick and chosen which TRADITIONS they are going to follow in their daily lives, then you damn well better be following the book to the letter of the law.

Curious......

What parts of the Bible have been cut and paste for today's Christian.....

No response....

Are you going to tell me the Christian Church you belong to is living up to Leviticus, 100%......

Well....You quoted leviticus...or should I say, cut and pasted the verse that suited your belief.

Either all of leviticus is in play, or you are the cutter and paster.

Back
Top Bottom