Elizabeth Smart puts Nancy Grace in her place

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yougogirl.gif

I read about that this morning, here's the transcript

GRACE: Oh, Elizabeth, you know, you can never know how intensely you were searched for and prayed for during all of that time. Do you let yourself think back on it, or do you try not to think about — like a lot of crime victims, we try not to think of it sometimes.

ELIZABETH SMART: Well, you know, I said earlier today, I have so much — so much to look forward to. I have a whole life ahead of me. It`s just not even worth looking back.

GRACE: Elizabeth, I remember when you first went missing and literally hundreds of people were out looking for you. Now we know you were being held captive not very far away from your home at all. Did you ever hear people calling out your name, trying to find you?

ELIZABETH SMART: There was one time.

GRACE: At that moment, did you want to scream out, Here I am, help me?

ELIZABETH SMART: I mean, of course. Who wouldn`t?

GRACE: At that moment, when you knew people were looking for you, your parents were there. They were trying to find you. How did that make you feel?

ELIZABETH SMART: You know, I didn`t know how big it was. And it was — it was good to know people were looking for me, but I — I felt so far away, you know, I just — it didn`t really connect at that time. And you know, and I think that…

GRACE: And you were such a little girl, Elizabeth. I mean, you were just 14 years old.

ELIZABETH SMART: Yes.

GRACE: It`s hard to expect a little 14-year-old girl to react the way an adult might imagine they would react under those circumstances. You were afraid, I assume.

ELIZABETH SMART: Yes.

GRACE: Did your kidnappers tell you they would hurt you or your family if you tried to get away?

ELIZABETH SMART: You know, they did. And I really am here to support the bill and not to go into what — you know, what happened to me, what the whole — like, what is in my past because I`m not here to give an interview on that. I`m here to help push this bill through.

GRACE: And I want you to push the bill through and I want people to hear your voice.

When we take a look back, there`s a shot of Elizabeth Smart, and here she is, four years later. And frankly, it`s a miracle that she was ever found. You know, a lot of people have seen shots of you wearing a burqa. How did you see out of that thing?

ELIZABETH SMART: You know, I`m really not going to talk about this at this time. I mean, that`s something I just don`t even look back at. And I really — I really — to be frankly honest, I really don`t appreciate you bringing all this up.

GRACE: I`m sorry, dear. I thought that you would speak out to other victims. But you know what? I completely understand. A lot of victims don`t want to talk about it and don`t feel like talking about it.

Ah, new material for my scary Nancy Grace impersonation.

Elizabeth Smart breaks my heart. :(

martha said:
I can't watch it. A brief synopsis someone?

It's not nearly as entertaining as the title suggests.

She rolls here eyes once, and says she doesn't want to talk about her abduction.

I have no idea who Nancy Grace is :reject: , but just looking at the transcript MrsS posted in light of what I know about Elizabeth Smart, Grace's concluding remark sounds very patronizing, and Smart's experience just isn't something to get patronizing about, especially on-camera. If I were interviewing her and got a response like the one that preceded Grace's remark--and even if we'd had an understanding beforehand that her abduction experience was not off-limits to discuss--I'd just say, "All right. Well let's talk about that bill then..." or something of that nature. It's not for me to tell someone who's had experiences like that how they do or should feel about it. She may very well also be spacey, but I think that's beside the point here.

Obviously not, nbc. But Grace didn't have her on to talk about the bill, Grace had her on to see if she could squeeze some unnecessary drama (/ratings) out of Smart's past ordeal.

That was one of the poorest excuses for "journalism" I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Was Elizabeth Smart the best person to speak about legislation on camera?
Oh, probably not, if by "best person" you mean the most articulate, engaging and authoritative-sounding spokesperson available. But it's common enough with bills like this for a well-known victim of the relevant crime to become "the face" of the drive to pass the bill. And in principle at least, this works well both for interviewers wanting a surefire attention-getter, and for victims who feel compelled to help prevent what happened to them from happening to others.

I have some problems with Nancy Grace but that guy who abducted her should have car battery wires attached to his balls.

I didn't hear about this so I was in the dark. I vividly remember the Elizabeth Smart thing cuz I'm from Utah.

I think that they should do that bamboo torture thing where the bamboo grows through you and practice it on her abductors.

What's the bill Elizabeth Smart is supporting?

I don't know who Nancy Grace is but, she sure made herself look like an idiot.

nbcrusader said:
Own Nancy Grace?

Elizabeth Smart just sounds like a space cadet.

After everything that young woman has gone through, I'd think you'd be a little more compassionate. I teach kids her age, and I can't imagine how nervous they'd be on television with a reporter trying desperately to get them to relive such an ordeal. I'm 29 years old and would probably sound like a space cadet too if I had to answer those questions when I didn't want to.

maycocksean said:
What's the bill Elizabeth Smart is supporting?

It's a bill for a national sex offender registry.

And Nancy used to be a passionate tireless advocate for victims and I admired her so much for that. Sadly she has now become a caricature of her former self-for ratings purposes I guess. She acts like she's on Fox News.

Then it would make sense that neither HeartlandGirl nor Elizabeth Smart go on camera. The person lacking in compassion is the one who pushed her into the studio.

Well that would be her father I assume, he was there with her. I hope he has nothing but the best intentions- to use her ordeal in order to help other kids, and to prevent other awful incidents. I think that could be done without subjecting Elizabeth to interviews, but hopefully that is being strictly controlled. I think perhaps he thought Nancy would be sensitive to that and she seemingly wasn't.

Would it have been easier to pretape Smart's comments instead of tossing her on camera? If she is being used as a spokesperson, it seems logical to discuss her ordeal to give people context as to why she is the one on camera.

I don't see what the big deal is. Yes, Nancy Grace continued to ask questions that Smart had said she didn't want to talk about. But all Smart did was say "I don't appreciate that". It's not like she opened up a can of Whoop Butt on her.

mediaman44 said:
I think that they should do that bamboo torture thing where the bamboo grows through you and practice it on her abductors.

yes, because that's what people in a civilized society do, they torture people who do bad things, because revenge is cool and fun and it makes us so much better than the perpetrators.

:|

nbcrusader said:
Would it have been easier to pretape Smart's comments instead of tossing her on camera? If she is being used as a spokesperson, it seems logical to discuss her ordeal to give people context as to why she is the one on camera.

in a perfect world, maybe, but the juggling of live television doesn't allow everyone to be as prepared and buttoned up as we'd like them to be. i think it's clear that ES was railroaded by NG and wasn't about to play along, and, really, do we need to hear her talk about her ordeal again? unless Nancy Grace wanted to milk a just a little bit more outrage from Elizabeth, let us all relive just out OUTRAGED we are when we hear about pretty, white, skinny, blond things who play the harp getting abducted from their homes. just OUTRAGE! can you feel the ANGER!?!?!?! OUTRAGE!!!!!!

nancy_grace.jpg

Back
Top Bottom