Earthquakes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lovey Dovey

The Fly
Under Larry's long,hard, tight....Right Arm...
Today is the 8th anniversary of the 6.7 magnitude quake that struck the Los Angeles area at 4:31am, Jauary 17th, 1994. Killed 60 people,and was probably the 2nd or 3rd most terrifying event of my life.
Unlike other natural disasters, you cant just wait for it to end, then get on rebuilding your life. Earthquakes dont end, the aftershocks continue for months. They can cause fires, floods, tsunamis, explosions...plus the fact that they are extermely freaky!
biggrin.gif

In LA, its also never officially an earthquake till either Dr.Kate Hutton or Lucy Jones of Cal-Tech says it is! They are like celebrities here. On Tv, heard on the radio, or quoted in the newspaper after every tremor in the So. Cal. area!
Any others here familiar with 'em? Were any of ya in the So Cal area in '94?

------------------
*Ya Just cant get enough, of that Lovey Dovey stuff...*

" And to think I actually TOUCHED that tight, hard body!" - Miss MacPhisto

Fuck ya. I'm down in OC, so my house did not move ten feet or more that morning. The blinds on the bedroom window only swung out about two or three feet as the house moved with the Pacific Plate. It's the sound that freaks me out; the sound of the house shaking, the sound of the items in the house moving, and then there's the sound of the ground rumbling. It's almost subliminal, that sound. The green colors of the electrical transformers blowing is freaky, too. They silently light up portions of the sky with an unnatural green glow.

I used to live in Omaha, but I will take earthquakes over tornadoes any damn day. Talk about never ending! We spent the whole fucking night in the basement one night the summer before my family escaped to Cali.

My cousin was living in Van Nuys during the '94 earthquake. She said that she and her boyfriend were literally thrown around their apartment, and they couldn't get out their front door because it was so warped. A neighbor had to bust them out. The Santa Monica Mountains were raised six inches during that quake. And yes, I love Kate!!

------------------
They say that magic and the science world collide
Oh, but Einstein saw me lookin' at her and he joined my side

Jonathan Richman
"A Higher Power"

[This message has been edited by martha (edited 01-17-2002).]

Earthquakes are nasty.

Geologists believe there is a blind fault directly underneath downtown L.A. A blind fault is one they can't find, but suspect is there.

There are 4, well-known faults unerneath New York City. If you ever go to 125th Street, you will notice that the subway suddenly becomes an elevated train for no apparent reason, and then drops back down underground. This is because there is a fault in the way, and the bridge that holds the subway has giant hinges on it. However, if the fault there did slip, it would shake the bridge on the vertical axis, when the hinges are built to deal with shaking on the horizontal.

Oh yeah. That area's just waiting to go. Missouri is long overdue. Enjoy your evening.

------------------
They say that magic and the science world collide
Oh, but Einstein saw me lookin' at her and he joined my side

Jonathan Richman
"A Higher Power"

Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes:
geologists at my college found a fault line that runs through the city i live (the actual suburb, not memphis) ...
eek.gif

Midplate tectonics...

Actually at one time many many many many moons ago, those shifting plates changed the course of the Mississippi river.

i believe my father was in the area on business at time(now that i think of it, who the hell goes to LA on business?:confused
smile.gif

i was in s. carolina(i think) playing at a golf tournament and i remember him calling me and i was completely unaware that anything was going on or even that he was there if i remember correctly.

------------------
one cannot be betrayed if one has no people.

High school senior year...

At home, sleeping... awoken by the earthquake 20 miles to the east of my house.

Scared shitless

Our kitchen counter has this big crack going through it. My husband had to move out of his house for about six months. I remember thinking that I never thought I would die in a natural disaster but I guess I'm going to. It seems so long ago.

Days after it was really weird. There was no food and no electricity. Everything was such a mess.
Do you all remember that really weird weather we had the week before the earthquake?

This is the Northridge earthquake we're referring to? If it wasn't for my brother - I would've slept through it (I'm a very heavy sleeper). I was living in Camarillo (just south of Ventura) at the time, and I remember my brother shaking me awake and telling me to get out of bed, and then I realized the entire house was shaking.

An interesting/scary story. My brother had originally planned to spend the night at his friend's house that night, but plans fell through. If he had, he would've been sleeping on the floor next to his friend's bed. A big bookcase (7 feet tall) fell right down on the spot he would've been sleeping on.
eek.gif

OMG you guys! Whoa!
I was sleeping in my bed and when the damn thing started, I just froze and started screaming. Partly i was just trying to drown out the damn noise(youre sooo right,martha. The noise the ground and the house makes just sounds positively evil). Finally, it began to subside, and i started to move. But then it started right back up again!!!! Does anyone remember that????There were 2 parts to the quake.
Finally, it was shaking so bad, i managed to force myself to get out of bed, and had to climb over a pile of rubble in the darkness(power was out) over to the door. I grabbed it....and it wouldnt open: The bed had moved itself in front of the door! I just freaked. I could here my mom calling me from the living room. I somehow managed to climb on top of the bed, and squeeze myself through a slim opening between the door and the wall, and began running down the hallway. When it got light out, i went back in and there was debris everywhere. We had been in several large quakes, but never had stuff thrown all around like this before. Whats really weird is that the hallway was strewn with broken glass, ceramic items, and heavy stuff that had fallen out of the closets and shelves. yet nothing apparently hit me, and my feet werent cut in the least. Very odd.
I was in Van Nuys at the time, and there werent any destroyed buildings around this part of the valley, but i remember seeing Northridge Meadows.
frown.gif

Also, a few people died from sheer fright. and they werent elderly either.
We had aftershocks every few seconds for the first several days. And the shocks did not completely end for about 5 or 6 months. No kidding. I remember, on the 3rd day i think it was, i would randomly go outside and put my hand down and touch the ground. It was ALWAYS shaking. My friend from PA called me soon after that and asked me if it was shaking right now, but it had stopped.
smile.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

[This message has been edited by Miss MacPhisto (edited 01-18-2002).]

Originally posted by u2valleygirl:
Do you all remember that really weird weather we had the week before the earthquake?

Oh yeah. My mom even commented on the sunset the night before the quake. She said the sky looked odd. I agreed, but thought nothing of it.I figured it was just one of those things.
eek.gif

And yeah, the phonelines were down for a short time, no power, water, etc. people were hoarding stuff, there was price gouging everywhere. Thank god for my walkman and portable radio and KFWB- news98!
smile.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
There are 4, well-known faults unerneath New York City. If you ever go to 125th Street, you will notice that the subway suddenly becomes an elevated train for no apparent reason, and then drops back down underground. This is because there is a fault in the way, and the bridge that holds the subway has giant hinges on it. However, if the fault there did slip, it would shake the bridge on the vertical axis, when the hinges are built to deal with shaking on the horizontal.

I felt a tiny one in NYC when I lived there. It woke me up in the middle of the night and I thought, "Gee, the subway is making a racket tonight." Only I didn't live above the subway. I think they had another small one recently last Fall. Don't even want to think about a big one...

Back
Top Bottom