Earthquake in VA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
This was a shock! We almost never get one! It was 20 miles west of Richmond and registered 4.5. This is big deal in the east where we don't get them much. No major damage, but lots of people I know in the Richmond area had shaking windows rattling doors, moving chairs, and even a swaying house. We are over 100 miles from the epicenter, and my husband said the house shook some. I was at the store when it hit around 4. I know this is a baby thing to you in Calif. but it was scary! Guess you never know where one will hit next :yikes: I hope there aren't any aftershocks, or bigger ones to come!

Heard about that this evening! Very odd for you guys. But I'm glad to hear that it wasn't too serious and nobody was hurt. :hug:. I don't think you'll have to worry too much about bigger earthquakes following, though-I'm sure you'll be fine. :).

I've never experienced an earthquake...and I don't have much desire to experience one anytime soon. My dad's been in some pretty scary ones, though-he's told a story about driving on a bridge in California when an earthquake hit. :yikes: :uhoh:.

Angela

Wow, I better call my sister in Richmond. So far since September she's been through a hurricane, a tornado and now an earthquake?!? Wtf!

I remember once when I was a kid, there was an earthquake in Va. while I was at the mall with my mom, but it was tiny, like a big truck was driving by and that's what we thought it was, then lo and behold it was all over the news that it was an earthquake!
Hope it's the last one there for awhile, I've been in Ca. for almost 3 years and I still have a heartattack when we get earthquakes, they are not cool.

:help:

yeah i got on the news talking about it cause i was in a big school building for a meeting and we didn't feel it there even though we were less than 20 miles from the epicenter. so i was ticked i missed it. :madspit: :madspit:

Yeah that was totally strange...I thought my fiance was joking when he said that...then I heard it on the news and I couldn't believe it :ohmy: thankfully we didn't get anything up in MD

Thanks for the good wishes :hug:

nbcrusader, we did have warm sunny skies until last week. We usually have mild winters, not as good as Calif. of course, but this was the longest Indian summer I'd ever seen.

Yeah, it was weird to have the hurricane and earthquake both in the same year. My brother said that last night. He said when it happened, his wife said, oh it was just a truck going by :eyebrow: but everyone else felt the 'truck' too. His next door neighbor used to live in LA and told him right away, that was an earthquake, no question!

I haven't heard of anyone being hurt, but there are reports of cracked walls and ceilings that weren't noticed yesterday.

There was an earthquake in NYC when I lived there. It woke me up in the middle of the night and in my groggy state I thought, 'Jeez, the subway's loud tonight' and went back to sleep, only I didn't live over the subway. :huh:

nasty suprise, huh?

yes, it is shocking when your area rarely has one! even a mild one!

Joyfulgirl--
i'm in nyc &about about 15 maybe later yrs ago......

Our building siat on a hill 7 stories up from avenue below, half held up by thig gigantic stone and cement ? foundation, surrounded by trees. <quite magically , actually>.

we had a first floor apt in the back and over looked the rooftops of below bldngs. This building also had a cement long, wide balcony overhanging. The effect became almost any sound below was magnified. Basketball bounces nearly like gun shots.. Trucks? ha - VIBrATIONS! and motorcycles... luckily traffic was rarely heavy, esp at nite>

So I'm having a dream. I am in a elevator and it starts going too fast, its shakes I start to yell in the dream, but wake up screaming "earthquake!"

I hear a rolling away rumble with a fading light vibration. I turn around mutter....trucks! and go back to sleep.

when i wake up 3 hrs later flip on the radio, hearing "shake, rattle & roll", and some other songs.
THEN the DJ says...whoa, that's for THE EATHQUAKE we had early this morning...did you feel it ?whaaaaa!!!!
amazingly strange, freaky...one reason i'd never live in Calif.:yikes:

i loved your ...'but there was NO subway' line!

:( Strange indeed to my eyes and ears U2kit! I'm from CA, didn't know East got earthquakes. And yes-we are used to them, but never get over the Big ones! I still remember the Slymar earthquake, can't remember my age, but still remember my bed moving across the room!! And unlike some have said here(we don't have subways in LA!:wink: )we always know when it Is an earhtquake or aftershock! Gosh-I have family in Kings County-wonder if they felt it?:ohmy:

Re: nasty suprise, huh?

dazzledbylight said:

Joyfulgirl--
i'm in nyc &about about 15 maybe later yrs ago......

i loved your ...'but there was NO subway' line!

Must've been the same quake--it was about that time period. It's funny how the mind tries to rationalize things that don't make sense. "Earthquake" would never have entered my consciousness in NYC...so I made it be the subway even though I never heard the subway in my apt. :huh:

We in the east don't ever think about earthquakes, we have hurricanes, but we don't need earthquakes :no: It's something nobody worries about, but now we'll have to add it to the list.:(

U2Kitten said:
We in the east don't ever think about earthquakes, we have hurricanes, but we don't need earthquakes :no: It's something nobody worries about, but now we'll have to add it to the list.:(

Looks like it. Although this is pretty uncommon for the eastern U.S., so I don't think you'll have to be on your toes about it all the time, like the people in the western U.S. are.

But at least this is all over now and it wasn't serious, thank god. And you're okay. That's the most important part. :).

Angela

Back
Top Bottom