Drunk driver runs over 5 in my town.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelofHarlem01

Rock n' Roll Doggie
This is an absolutely horrifying accident that occured here Friday night. I'm sickened by the woman that caused it and I'm sickened that there are still so many stupid people out there that think they can drink and drive. What more if anything can be done to protect us from these drivers? It seems like no matter how many times accidents like these occur and no matter how many times the PSA's play saying "Don't Drink and Drive", there are still hundreds of morons that still do. :(

Woman arrested in deadly accident

She surrenders to police after realizing she struck and killed five people, officers report.

A Tulsa woman surrendered to police Saturday after a hit-and-run accident Friday night on Memorial Drive that left five people dead.

Kimberly Graham, 37, was taken into custody about 3 p.m. on five complaints of second-degree manslaughter and five counts of leaving the scene of a fatality accident. She was in the Tulsa Jail on Saturday evening with bond set at $175,000.

Police did not release the names of the victims -- three men and two women. However, funeral homes confirmed that three of the dead were Shannon Lacey, believed to be 36; De Anna Coatney, 42; and Ronnie Coatney, 49, all of Tulsa. A witness from the scene identified another victim as Casey Jones, 29.

Officer Jason Willingham said Graham turned herself in at Uniform Division East and was questioned by detectives. Police also recovered her pickup truck and were processing it for evidence.

"She felt like she hit something, but she wasn't sure," Willingham said. "When she started seeing news reports in the morning, she started putting two and two together."

A police report said officers were called about 11:05 p.m. Friday to the scene of a collision at 1200 S. Memorial Drive. The officers found that a motorcyclist had fallen and suffered a head injury while trying to leave the parking lot of the Backyard Bar. The victim was being assisted by four people from the bar and another business when all five were struck by a blue Dodge pickup that sped through the scene, police said.

Bystanders told police that the driver of the northbound pickup did not slow down after the collision and ran a red light on Memorial, an arrest report said.

Willingham said three of the victims were pronounced dead at the scene and two were pronounced dead at a hospital.

The bar's owner, Danny Bell, who was working Friday night when the accident occurred, said Saturday that he was friends with Lacey.

"He was a person who would bring you up no matter how bad you were feeling," Bell said. "Once you met him, you would wish you had met him 10 years before."

Bell said he had gone into the parking lot after the initial accident and was walking back into the bar when the crash occurred. "It sounded like a car hitting a tree at 55 mph," he said.

Upon seeing his friend Lacey after the accident, Bell said, he was thinking: "It's one of those moments that can't be happening. It's a nightmare that won't go away.

"Just thinking of how many crossroads this created for so many people; it left a lot of people without a daddy or a mama."

The police report states that Graham called 911 around 11:56 a.m. Saturday from a public phone outside Uniform Division East and told a dispatcher that she was "the one who killed the people on Memorial Drive last night."

Capt. Steve Odom, the first officer at the scene, was met by Graham, who walked up to him and said, "I was the driver of the car that killed five people last night," and "I was drinking and driving and thought I hit a car, but I killed five people," the report states.

Graham told Odom where her pickup was. It bore evidence that was consistent with the collision, the report said.

Graham also signed a statement that said she had consumed a vodka mixed drink at her house before she headed out to local bars. She said she thought she had sideswiped a vehicle while heading home on Memorial Drive but she did not stop, the report states.

"The reason I did not stop was because I had been drinking," the report quotes Graham as saying in her statement, adding that she "consumed one mixed drink, six beers and two shots the night of this incident."
Link

mandy1973 said:
What amazes me is that its not teenagers drinking and driving, it's people who are of an age who should know better. I don't know what the solution is, obviously all the scare tactics in the world aren't helping.

Too true. I've been in cars with teenagers who are way more responsible than this lady.

I think all PSAs and stuff like that do is just tend to drive people to want to do more of this stuff. Yes, the message should get out there to people, but the more you preach, the less likely people are to listen to you. I also think anyone who doesn't drink but knows people who do should work on arranging ways for them to be able to get home after a night out. Make sure there's a cab available, pick them up yourself if you're able to do so, see if another family member or a friend can do it if you can't...anything that keeps them from getting behind the wheel of a car.

Such a tragic story. Those poor families :(.

Angela

There was an article in my local paper just Thursday about a young man (24) living here in Wilmington that was the victim of a hit & run while walking along a main thoroughfare in the early morning of Nov. 1st. He's just been released from the hospital after two brain surgeries & will likely have 'lasting effects' from the accident. The article was focusing on family members who've come from Ohio to help him recuperate & to keep pressure on the Wilmington PD to find the person who hit their brother/son.

As for the Tulsa accident: one person is bad enough, but FIVE?!?!?! I don't know how one human being can do that to another - at least that driver turned their self in. I hope now that she knows what she's done that she'll never be allowed to forget it. :mad:

Last edited:
Apparently she had been cited for drunk driving in the past. How many chances do they give drunk drivers until they take away their licenses indefinitely?? It's ridiculous. She obviously had no regard for anyone. I'm surprised she turned herself in, in the manner she did frankly. Her statements give me chills.

More information about the victims is starting to come out. One of the women involved was an award winning 4th grade teacher at one of the local elementary schools. :sigh:

this makes me sooo angry:mad: that woman obviously feels terrible about what she's done but she knew the risks.

Everyone knows what can happen when driving drunk or even irresponsibly. It makes me shake with rage to hear that people can be so stupid.

I feel bad for everyone involved - except the driver - she chose to drive, she needs to take what's coming and hopefully others will learn from her mistake (doubtful)

:sad: :sad:

^ the sort of idiots that consistantly drink drive are the sort of dickheads that will drive whether they have a licence or not. I don't know what the solutiion is:|

Last edited:
It's "It can't happen to me'' syndrome. We all have it, to some degree, so let's not jump all over the lady, too badly. She ultimately did the right thing, here. And most people do not take killing people lightly. I'm relatively sure she'll never forget that she killed five people. This is likelier to straighten her out than any amount of scare tactics.

Scare tactics are useless, for just this reason: fear wears off after so many times of using the same one over and over. It simply stops registering.

It shouldn't take 5 people's lives to straighten someone out! Of course it'll straighten her out because she'll probably be in prison for many many years and won't ever get to drink again.

The ultimate right thing would have been obviously if she hadn't gotten in her truck in the first place.

Driving while impaired is selfish and irresponsible.

I'd bet that almost everyone that has looked in this thread
that has a drivers license, is guilty of it.

deep said:
Driving while impaired is selfish and irresponsible.

I'd bet that almost everyone that has looked in this thread
that has a drivers license, is guilty of it.

If what you mean by impaired includes very tired or groggy from medication I will agree. If your definition of impaired is drunk or high (illegally) I disagree. I will bet most of the people driving home from an evening out at a bar are at least somewhat impaired, even if they are not at the point of legal intoxication. While I'm not drunk after one or two drinks, I do notice differences in my reactions. So if I'm driving, I don't drink. At all.

Last edited:
I mean their driving ability impaired.

impaired
m·paired (m-pârd)
adj.
1. Diminished, damaged, or weakened.

I know several people that have received citations for driving under the influence.

aka - drunk driving,

none of them ever hurt anyone
and I can't remember them even being involved in an accident.

I know several people that have admitted to having accidents while having their driving ability impaired by either texting or cell phone use.

I have a good friend that was involved in a head on collision while texting.

I would never drink and drive.
And I rarely use my cell while driving, most of the time I am saying, I am driving, I will call you back.

If I do need to talk for any extended time, I pull over.

I guess my wake up call was when my friend had her head on collision.

I think it's sad there ever even has to be wake-up calls. Shouldn't it just be common sense that when people are driving they pay attention to the road?

The phone stuff bugs me, too-geez, people, unless it's an emergency, that call/text can wait, okay? Especially if you're gonna be seeing them in person in a few minutes anyway.

I'm glad that the people you know have been fortunate to not be involved in horrible moments when driving, deep-here's hoping it stays that way.

Angela

AngelofHarlem01 said:
It shouldn't take 5 people's lives to straighten someone out! Of course it'll straighten her out because she'll probably be in prison for many many years and won't ever get to drink again.

The ultimate right thing would have been obviously if she hadn't gotten in her truck in the first place.

Of course it shouldn't. But the fact is, it often takes that to make people wake up that it is, indeed, seriously bad to do that.

I do think she deserves a little bit of respect for owning up to what she did, though. Most people have to be dragged out of their hidey holes, if they're ever caught.

It's still a terrible crime, though.

Back
Top Bottom