"Drugs are the curse of the land and turn women into prostitutes"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't dispute that, entirely, but neither do I entirely agree with it. But I don't think that means we need to introduce to the mainstream consumer public more ways of dying, acting like bastards, acting like baffons, exhibiting aggressive hostile behavior towards others, imparing ones' self, and in general endangering other people.

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:
I don't dispute that, entirely, but neither do I entirely agree with it. But I don't think that means we need to introduce to the mainstream consumer public more ways of dying, acting like bastards, acting like baffons, exhibiting aggressive hostile behavior towards others, imparing ones' self, and in general endangering other people.

~U2Alabama

And I agree to that, but not entirely. I think there needs to be an intelligent compromise of choice. Some people react to drugs much better than they do alcohol.

There will always be a blackmarket need for an altered state of mind, you can't eliminate that...

But you can control it, and that's my whole point.

I guess that is the ultimate point of our disagreement - on the ability to control the black market that will remain for the stronger, more toxic versions, which some of the new casual users will graduate to. But obviously, I also have a critical issue with making any of them (even in regulated, non-black market forms) more available and acceptable to society. My wife and I just watched Saw II; as much as I despise John The Jigsaw in I & II, I agree with him on this: "Drug dealers give hope to desperate people." But I'll add that that "hope" is false; they really only give them more desperation, and problems for the rest of us. I don't want our retail stores being inthe business of doing that to people's lives.

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:
I guess that is the ultimate point of our disagreement - on the ability to control the black market that will remain for the stronger, more toxic versions, which some of the new casual users will graduate to. But obviously, I also have a critical issue with making any of them (even in regulated, non-black market forms) more available and acceptable to society. My wife and I just watched Saw II; as much as I despise John The Jigsaw in I & II, I agree with him on this: "Drug dealers give hope to desperate people." But I'll add that that "hope" is false; they really only give them more desperation, and problems for the rest of us. I don't want our retail stores being inthe business of doing that to people's lives.

~U2Alabama

Well I don't see legalization necessarily meaning retail...

U2Bama said:
So what means of distribution do you propose?

~U2Alabama

What I meant is I don't think Walmart will be carrying them. More than likely if this ever happened it would be distributed online and then later find a means to create special lisence to sell similar to that of a liquor store.

But we can't have drug abusers walking around getting high; only those who can responsibly use drugs should have the right to do so.

U2Bama said:

okay, so i'm totally just jumping in here in the middle of the discussion, but it seems to me that none of the above activities -- with the exception of acting like a buffoon -- is at all a side effect of the only drug i think we can make a reasonable case for the legalization of: marijuana.

Back
Top Bottom