Drop the debts for Iraq?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klaus

Refugee
on a one of these small green spots at that blue p
US government asked Germany today to drop the debts for Iraq.

I can understand that you should drop the debts of countries who can't pay them back, but any serious reason why Germany should drop the debts of a country who is wealthy? (not in EUR or $ but in oil)

Interesting also that US asks us to do it as long as they don't drop the debt of 3rd world countries or did they do it now?

Klaus

Yes, there is. The debts Iraq incurred were due to Saddam Hussein's rule. Iraq's national debt is over $400 billion, and exists because of Saddam Hussein building palaces and waging wars. Just this week Iraq has paid $23m to the UK, $13m to the US and $20m to Israel in reparations for the war in Kuwait. That money could be used for reconstruction in Iraq, to give it's people a decent future.

So personally I believe Iraq's debts should be forgiven. I also beleive the debts of all of the poorest countries in the world should be forgiven and I agree it's sad that many Western countries have refused to do so. :(

I'd agree to the point that Saddams private money should be used to pay some of the debts he made. I agree that we shouldn't ask for the money as long as the oil industry isn't working properly, i agree that we shouldn't ask for the money for the time it takes to rebuild the iraq after almost 30 years of war. But i think that there are other countries where the debts should be droped. I don't think a regime change is justification for droping the debts by itself

Klaus

It does not seem logical to force the Iraqi people to repay the debts of a man that has held their country hostage for 24 years.

I'm for dropping Iraq's debt. The Iraqi people shouldn't have to pay for Saddam's palaces or wars. They need to use the money to rebuild their country, give themselves decent lives and join the global community of nations. I'm angry that the West won't drop the debt for the poorest countries, too. But--Iraq should get it too.

Saddam may have lived well but that wealth never got to the people of that country. Just because the leader lives well doesn't mean its not a second ot third world nation.

People generally shouldn't pay for debts of dictators who messed their country years or centuries ago.

If the country who's asking for droping the depts makes the first step and drops the debts of all 3rd world countries who aren't in media focus like Iraq - i understand that they are honest and i'd support it in iraq too.

Klaus

I think the US has done this -- dropped the debt of African nations who are trying to rebuild after ruling dictators trashed the place. I think one of the things Bono has talked about is dropping the debt of nations who are democracies because it would be more likely that dropping their debt would help their citizens as opposed to helping a dictator. But I see what you're saying -- if a country is going to commit to drop the debt of a high profile nation like Iraq they should drop the debt for low profile nations as well.

verte76 said:

That's a drag. :mad: :censored:

Any debts incurred by unelected regimes who used loans to finance oppression are illegitamate and should be written off. The Iraqui people are supposed foot the bill for his palaces? While he tortured and murdered them? You've got to be kidding me.

I'd remind everyone what a big part of the Marshall plan debt cancallation was, too, for Germany. Germany's 50 anniversary of debt cancallation was a few weeks ago. In some large part, their economy recovered because of it. Check it out

http://www.jubileeusa.org

SD

Yes, debt relief for Germany was a major part of the Marshall Plan. I hope the Netherlands and other countries will come around on debt relief for Iraq so the Iraqi people can spend the money on health care, education, and other important things.

Back
Top Bottom