driver kills at least 8 in market

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharky

New Yorker
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/07/16/farmers.market.crash/index.html

What is your opinion of this? as of now, they are reporting the driver was over 80 years old. I believe that once you hit 75, there should be a law that you have to take a driver's test on a regular basis and have your license taken if you are not fit to drive. I love my 82-year-old grandmother but I would never let her get behind a wheel, especially now that she is suffering from dementia.

I've been watching this on the local LA station for the past 2 hours and its just sickening...its giving me a stomach ache just hearing the eyewitnesses and seeing the total devastation at the Farmers Market. :(

I have some pretty strong opinions on elderly drivers. I agree with you sharky that after 75, yearly driving tests should be required. Right now they're reporting that this man was walking with a cane after the accident...you just have to wonder how much control he really had behind the wheel.

My own grandmother admitted to me that in the senior community where she lives, they all go to the "easy" DMV in another city because they tend to be easier on elderly drivers renewing their drivers license. GAH! Why is that good? And this is coming from a woman who had 3 accidents in one year, ALL her fault! After she totaled her second car last year, we finally refused to let her buy another one. She's 85 and doesn't need to be driving.

My grandfather, at age 85, thought his car was in drive one day when it was actually in reverse and accelerated right through his neighbors house. My grandmother and her sister were in the car and seriously hurt; luckily no one in the house was.

And finally, on May 5, 1999, I was making a legal left turn on with a green arrow when an 87 year old woman ran a red light, passing stopped traffic to do it, and plowed into my car at 45 mph. My car was a total loss and my son and I were both hurt. Two weeks later while I was registering the used car I bought with my measily insurance payout, I saw her at DMV in her brand new car, RENEWING her drivers license :huh:

So yeah, I totally agree with re-testing elderly drivers on a yearly basis.

Last edited:
sharky said:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/07/16/farmers.market.crash/index.html

What is your opinion of this? as of now, they are reporting the driver was over 80 years old. I believe that once you hit 75, there should be a law that you have to take a driver's test on a regular basis and have your license taken if you are not fit to drive. I love my 82-year-old grandmother but I would never let her get behind a wheel, especially now that she is suffering from dementia.

I have had this discussion many times before, amongst my friends. I am absolutely for laws being passed requiring retesting. There are so many unfit drivers out on the roads. But I'd say earlier. Once you hit 60 you have to take the test every 5 years or so.

agreed bonovox, but increase that every five years to every year after a certain age. If anything, I hope motivates politicians to make a rule for this. they did the same thing in Michigan after several fatal accidents caused by inexperienced young drivers that required certain things of the drivers before age 18 [no driving after dark, no passengers, etc.] I remember a few accidents I almost caused when I was 16, 17, 18. The same thing should be done for the older drivers.

Bono's wife -- what did you say to that woman when you saw her? I would have started yelling at her really loud so everyone knew who she was.

sharky said:

Bono's wife -- what did you say to that woman when you saw her? I would have started yelling at her really loud so everyone knew who she was.

I saw her getting out of her car in the parking lot and I assumed she was there to report the accident because there was more than $500 damage...when I saw her in the license renewal line, I was just floored that she was still driving.

My husband asked me not to make a scene but as we were leaving I said loud enough for everyone near me to hear "hey, watch out if that blue Buick leaves when you do...the woman behind the wheel likes to run red lights"

Its really sad in a way because for some seniors, their car is their last form of independence but when it comes down to saving lives...theirs and everyone around them, something has to be done.

My grandfather (living not too far from the Farmers Market in LA) gave up his DL sometime in his 80s. Yup...realized it was too unsafe...and handed it in. He is 93 now, and is still functioning just fine. He lives in the same house he has been in since he built it in the 1940's - with a pet dog. He has help (someone to bring him to the doctor - or a neighbor to get him regular groceries).

I am damn proud of him giving it up...knowing better. I hope if I live as long as he has, i will do the same.

I have been in two accidents that have not been my fault. Both of these accidents involved elderly women who pulled out in front of me. Both times they said that they did not see me. I feel also that there should be manddatory testing for senior citizens in their mid- 70's. Older peoples reflex's are not as fast, and are their vision plays a big part in driving safely.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom