Douglas Wood has been Released

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Douglas Wood has been Freed [revised title]

He has been released, the PM just made a statement. I hope the kidnappers didn't get a cent.

Last edited:
There may well be; Iraqi forces if I heard correctly from the clip on SBS I overheard while I was cooking a poppadom. ABC.net.au didn't have much when I checked.

Last edited:
John Howard said it was an Australian military operation, didn't he? Not that we can expect him to have a clue. Or that it really matters. Not a cent paid so far, which is great.

It was said that it was an Iraqi operation with American support; but he is with the Australian team sent over there to deal with the situation now.

I think that a thankyou is in order for the Iraqi's and the usual suspects who gave a helping hand.

Has it been said yet how much assistance the cleric was able to give? The news of course failed to mention anything interesting in their eagerness to spit it all out as a breaking news headline.
A thank you for anyone who helped, is approriate, too.

Last Updated 20/06/2005, 09:37:15

Freed Australian hostage, Douglas Wood, has been reunited with his family in the Australian city of Melbourne.

The 63-year-old engineer was rescued last week during a raid on a Baghdad house after being held for 47 days by Iraqi insurgents.

He and his American wife, Yvonne Given, travelled to Australia from Dubai.

At a press conference at Melbourne Airport, Mr Wood paid tribute to his family.

"I love my family, and I knew that they'd be doing as much as they could to get me out," he said.

Mr Wood says it feels good to be home, but he would consider returning to Iraq for further business.

Apology

Mr Wood has apologised to the Australian prime minister and the US president for his appeals for troop withdrawals from Iraq, which he says were made under duress.

He says the calls he made in a video-taped statement did not reflect his beliefs, and his rescue by Iraqi forces shows that the policies of recruiting and training Iraqi troops are working.

"I'm proof positive that the policies of the American and Australian governments is the right one," he said.

The prime minister, John Howard, says he appreciates Mr Wood's apology, although he was not seeking it.

Mr Howard says it is moving to see the family reunited.

He has rejected suggestions that the Australian team sent to Iraq actually hindered efforts to rescue Mr Wood.

"This suggestion that in some way a botched operation by Australians meant that he would have been, that he was not released as early as he might have been, that is completely wrong," he said.
http://www.abc.net.au/ra/news/stories/s1395727.htm

Wood has the audacity to call the men who captured him "arseholes" and now his fellow hostage has been so insensitive as to put a bounty on them.
Wood's fellow hostage hires bounty hunters

A hostage held alongside Australian Douglas Wood in Iraq has hired bounty hunters to track down his former captors, promising to eliminate them one by one.

Swede Ulf Hjertstrom, who was held for several weeks with Mr Wood in Baghdad, was released by his kidnappers on May 30.

Mr Hjertstrom has since claimed he shared information with US and Iraqi troops about Mr Wood which led to the release of the 63-year-old Australian engineers two weeks ago, after 47 days in captivity.

Now, he wants to find those responsible.

"I have now put some people to work to find these bastards," he told the Ten Network today.

"I invested about $50,000 so far and we will get them one by one."

AAP
link

It would be better if he donated the $50,000 to a hospital or school in Iraq rather than spending money on vigilantes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom