Dont know who to believe..the liberal FYMers or GW's demonstration of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
racial diversity.

See I always hear ppl either labeling or infering our President as a bigot or racist ..:|
This is wrong.
Based on the selection of his cabinet and polictical team he has more ppl of color working w him than Clinton had.:)
Clinton continously patted himself on the back, for this feat:rolleyes: saying he wanted his cabinet to represent/mirror the US population, and blah blah ad naueseum..
Clinton had more scandal and corruption in his cabinet..
True story.:

GW has less corruption/scandal in his cabinet/ team.
Anything to show GW as being an inclusionary and a President who chooses to unite ppl is hardly reported in the liberal mass Media.

Perhaps GW is more color-blind more than some of us realize?
He looks at a person character when hiring them as the most important item? ?

Just a thought..
Put that in your pipe and smoke it..:sexywink:

Out-

DB9
:dance::

Last edited:
Did I really believe that GW was a bigot? No. What have I consistently complained about? The way conservatives and the Republican Party repeatedly looked the other way at bigoted comments, like ones from former Sen. Jesse Helms for decades. All I have to say is that these current semblences of outrage toward comments like the one expoused by Sen. Trent Lott have been decades overdue. Now let's see if they are really sincere about "diversity." :|

And will you please just give it up with Clinton? For God's sake! He's been out of office for two years. Can you say "beating a dead horse"? As for "scandal" and "corruption," we can't seem to investigate any potential scandal (re: Cheney's energy policy papers) because it isn't patriotic anymore. :|

Melon

Last edited:
Trent= a dork.:|
I never liked him.:|

He represents the 'old-school' Republican that is leaving the party w the likes of your-
-David Dukes
-Pat Buchcannans.

For the record Strom was a Democrat when he was a Pres. Canidate..strongly espousing his racist views..

Trent is still a fool and an embarrassment to the Republican Party as a whole..:|

DB9

I never thought of GW as a racist per se...other republicans though

diamond said:
Clinton had more scandal and corruption in his cabinet..
True story.:

GW has less corruption/scandal in his cabinet/ team.
Anything to show GW as being an inclusionary and a President who chooses to unite ppl is hardly reported in the liberal mass Media.

Just a thought..
Put that in your pipe and smoke it..:sexywink:

Out-

DB9
:dance::

Not yet. *taps Patriot Bill* I would bet that as the public slowly discovers what that does to American civil liberties, it will be quietly shoved under the rug, not unlike the whole "we're going to declare war and not tell anyone" idea that was being processed this summer until Colin Powell stepped in.

I do agree that the Cabinet should mirror the public, but I don't think it will happen for a looooong time. There aren't enough women first off, it'd have to be dominated by women, 15% of whom would be a "minority."

It'll be a while before any president gets that down.

Lilly-
Can youuuuuu say-
Condi Rice
Chrstine Todd Whitman?

there are many more but I forget right now..
No, and Hillary cant join this team.:angry:
Sorry.

Diamond
:dance:

Re: now this is an honest question

Lilly said:

Why don't the Republicans shun him?

They have privately.
I think the mindset is that he will choose to do the right thing and step down.

DB9:|

diamond said:
For the record Strom was a Democrat when he was a Pres. Canidate..strongly espousing his racist views..

Allow me to correct you on some history:

1) Strom Thurmond ran under a third party for president in 1948. The Democrat was Harry Truman, the winner of the election.

2) Prior to 1870, the liberal party was the Republican Party and the conservative party was the Democratic Party. However, at this time, for some reason or another, northern conservatives flooded the Republican Party and, angered, northern liberals retreated to the Democratic Party. Southern politicians (remember that this was fresh after the Civil War, and the South was still much like a conquered territory) stayed put in the Democratic Party, as the Republican Party was viewed as a very northern party. During the twentieth century, especially after the Democratic Party started expousing civil rights legislation in the 1960s and with the popularity of Ronald Reagan in the 1980s, the few Southern conservative Democrats have mostly defected to the Republican Party. Hence, I laugh when the Republican Party attempts to parade Abraham Lincoln as one of its own, because he would be considered a "modern" Democrat. The first "modern" Republican president was Ulysses S. Grant.

Melon

Last edited:
melon said:

Allow me to correct you on some history:

1) Strom Thurmond ran under a third party for president in 1948. The Democrat was Harry Truman, the winner of the election.

2) Prior to 1870, the liberal party was the Republican Party and the conservative party was the Democratic Party. However, at this time, for some reason or another, northern conservatives flooded the Republican Party and, angered, northern liberals retreated to the Democratic Party. Southern politicians (remember that this was fresh after the Civil War, and the South was still much like a conquered territory) stayed put in the Democratic Party, as the Republican Party was viewed as a very northern party. During the twentieth century, especially after the Democratic Party started expousing civil rights legislation in the 1960s and with the popularity of Ronald Reagan in the 1980s, the few Southern conservative Democrats have mostly defected to the Republican Party. Hence, I laugh when the Republican Party attempts to parade Abraham Lincoln as one of its own, because he would be considered a "modern" Democrat. The first "modern" Republican president was Ulysses S. Grant.

Melon
\
from what I understand, Strom was a Democrat first..then changed to a "Dixiecrat" to run narionally..

Yes and perhaps the northen Liberals favored slavery and the conservatives didnt?

DB9

diamond said:
from what I understand, Strom was a Democrat first..then changed to a "Dixiecrat" to run narionally..

Again, reread what I wrote about Southern conservatives and party affiliation. It is not my job to comprehend for you.

Yes and perhaps the northen Liberals favored slavery and the conservatives didnt?

Northern liberals of the 1860s expoused the ideas of Abraham Lincoln regarding emancipation and whatnot.

In the 1850s, there was a point where the U.S. could have, legally and nonviolently, controlled both present-day Canada and Mexico, but it broke down in Congress after the South wished to make Mexico slave states (which the North resisted) and the North wanted to make Canada free states (which the South resisted). Hence, due to congressional bickering, we ended up with neither.

Your above statement does not correspond with history.

Melon

Hmmm, I?m still trying to decide on whether or not a cabinet has to exactly mirror the public in terms of the composition (i.e. 15% Asians in the country, also 15% Asians in the cabinet). Can we assume that every group in the population is equally suitable or even equally interested in being active in politics?

I?m going to think of a better way to explain my position (this could come across a plain ol' bigotry :wink:), maybe if I could hear some pro?s and con?s?

Last edited:
Many Southern Democrats left the party and switched to the Republican party in the 60s and 70s. Strom did it in 64 when the Civil rights bill past I believe.

It is true that Lincoln was a Republican. For many years the GOP was the party more concerned about Civil Rights. In the sixties the Republicans came up with the Southern Strategy i. e. to go after the white vote in the South. The parties have changed positions on Civil Rights. Bush lost 4-5 primaries to McCain. He turned it around by going to Bob Jones University and hugging the racist founder. Bush made no statement opposing their racists policies about their Christian students dating outside of their race.

S. C. was the first primary he won after losing several. He only became President because of this despicable action.

To suggest that the Bush Administration is racially sensitive is a joke.

Ask people of color what they think of the *compassionate conservative*.

?We got blacks, look at Condi and Colin.?

XrayCrowd.gif

diamond said:
Lilly-
Can youuuuuu say-
Condi Rice
Chrstine Todd Whitman?

there are many more but I forget right now..
No, and Hillary cant join this team.:angry:
Sorry.

Diamond

Condoleza Rice and Christine Todd Whitman are only 2 among how many?

Right. Just saying that if you're trying to point out that the cabinet is in fact mirroring population now that GW is in office, I disagree.

:wave:

Nooooo....Lilly
What Im saying is that, is that GW is more open-minded then the liberal Media give him credit for.
He dosnt appoint a bunch of look-a likes that mirror him..

Mr Deep-
I think that is an insult to Colin and Condi Rice.

It's laughable when liberals try and dictate what they think ppl of color should think/act and feel..

I know most indepenpent and intellegent ppl get aggitated when liberals attempt to do their thinking for them..:down:

Out-
Diamond

How about this for a novel idea.....

Give the jobs to the MOST qualified person????

Half of the problem with the CIA and FBI as detailed in "Breakdown" by Bill Gertz is that under Clinton people were promoted because of the color of their skin and their gender. Maybe if half of the people who were pushed out, overstepped, ect....Sept. 11th might not have happened. Instead, people who did their jobs left.

And speaking of Racism........Affirmative Action is a RACIST policy.

Lets start by getting rid of this crappy policy, and hire the most qualified people. Enough of this making certain we have a cross section of American public. I do not care what color someone is, as long as they do their job, do it to the standards I expect of them, and have earned it.

Peace

From CNN

President Bush said today the recent controversial comments by incoming Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott "do not reflect the spirit of our country." Bush said that "any suggestion that the segregated past was acceptable or positive is offensive and it is wrong."

:madspit:

Dreadsox said:

Half of the problem with the CIA and FBI as detailed in "Breakdown" by Bill Gertz is that under Clinton people were promoted because of the color of their skin and their gender. Maybe if half of the people who were pushed out, overstepped, ect....Sept. 11th might not have happened. Instead, people who did their jobs left.

Lets start by getting rid of this crappy policy, and hire the most qualified people. Enough of this making certain we have a cross section of American public. I do not care what color someone is, as long as they do their job, do it to the standards I expect of them, and have earned it.

Peace

I totally agree.

And melon, I agree with what you're saying, too.

Angela

Dreadsox said:

Peace

:up: great post dread...I totally agree.

we can't seem to investigate any potential scandal (re: Cheney's energy policy papers) because it isn't patriotic anymore

good fucking point.

you will see, by the end of the 7th year (no way Gore has a chance) we wil lbe indicting, and scandalizing the Republicans in office now.

By the way Diamond, GWB is simply a puppet (but you know that right?)

The only thing he could run, is around the back of the house to get some more BBQ...

I agree with Dreadsox (also on the part about affirmative action). The thing is, if jobs are indeed always given to the most qualified people, then why is it that most of those jobs in the higher hierarchies are held by white men? Are they naturally better qualified for these kinds of jobs? Or is it because people of other (ethnic) groups just need some time to keep up and balance the equation, or is something else going on?

Last edited:
Condi Rice is better quailfied for the job than that whitey B. Showcroft from the previous administration.
Affirm that.:mad:.

Thank u-
Diamond

I cant stand when people complain about not enough races being in a certain job, cabinet, house whatever. Did anyone ever think that we voted these people in? Which race gets voted in the most? White. Why because they run more. Did anyone ever think that it doesnt matter if what color they are. Even if they are white?

My brother has been trying to get into the firefighting here. For 4 years now he has tried. He has all the crudentials and even has things alot of others dont. But because he is white, 23-26, and male he has the worst chance of getting in. Give me a fucking break here people. They wont take the most qualitfied person. If its me in a burning building i want some who can drag me out or climb 90 flights of stairs.

If Rice is qualified then who cares if she white black gay or male? Do it not depend on her qualifications? I dont want a black leader for the simple fact he's black. I want a leader who is great!

Diamond i dont know what you have againist everything liberal but it seems you need a little help man. Do you obsess over people with differing opinion all day or only here.

bonoman said:
I

If Rice is qualified then who cares if she white black gay or male? Do it not depend on her qualifications? I dont want a black leader for the simple fact he's black. I want a leader who is great!

Diamond i dont know what you have againist everything liberal but it seems you need a little help man. Do you obsess over people with differing opinion all day or only here.

Actually I dont have anything against liberals, only some of their policies..one such policy that is detering your brother from a job he wants..

My post about Condi was satire but you missed the point, Mr. bonofellow..

George Bush picked her because she was the most qualified..period.
Liberals would argue a different point.

DB9

DrTeeth said:
I agree with Dreadsox (also on the part about affirmative action). The thing is, if jobs are indeed always given to the most qualified people, then why is it that most of those jobs in the higher hierarchies are held by white men? Are they naturally better qualified for these kinds of jobs? Or is it because people of other (ethnic) groups just need some time to keep up and balance the equation, or is something else going on?

Indeed.
Is it really because the disadvantages begin way before your working life commences?
Here, the differential treatment does seem to lean more in favour of the other side of the argument. It is not equality to have quotas in employment based on racial background.

diamond said:
Lilly-
Can youuuuuu say-
Chrstine Todd Whitman?

Yeah, we women can be proud of Christine Todd Whitman, who is little more than a figurehead at the EPA and has allowed some of the most embarrassing environmental policy in recent history to pass through without so much as a whimper. She's right up there on my list of role models.

(Condi Rice, okay, I'll give you that one. There was a great cover story about her in Newsweek this week. She's a cool gal.)

But just because a woman (or a black or a Hispanic or a gay person) happens to hold an office of high power or visibility doesn't mean that women or blacks or (whatever) should have to get all worked up about it. I'm less than thrilled with some female government officials and I wouldn't mind if they were replaced by men who I think are more intelligent or progressive or hardworking. Christine Todd Whitman's appointment to head of the EPA means little if anything to me because she's doing a lousy job.

Here's the way it works, folks:

A "liberal" Democratic administration can appoint whoever the hell they want to their staff, case closed.

A "conservative" Republican administration is held to a different standard to the point that people practically demand an exact proportion of population diversity or else it is offensive. And beyond that, all of these people on the administration MUST have views that are LIBERAL! Yes, Christin Todd Whitman's policies closely mirror those of President Bush; well, she serves on HIS cabinet, not Ted Kennedy's!

Give it a rest. Every attempt has been made by this administration to represent the diverse population of the U.S., and I think they did a pretty damn good of it and appointed some VERY qualified people at the same time.

I disagree with President Bush's choice to visit Bob Jones University, but it is a stretch to say that he only became President because of this despicable action.

President Bush has rebuked Senator Lott for his pro-Dixiecrat/Thurmond remarks. I do not think Senator Lott should be Majority Leader.

Bush's Administration also recently weighed in on a Supreme Court case involving the Ku Klux Klan and their "right" to burn crosses in order to express racial hatred. The case involved a Virginia state law banning cross burning. President Bush's administration, via Solicitor General Ted Olsen, supports the Virginia law due to the racial hatred that cross burning expresses.

You will lose your balance if you go around riding on your high horse all the time.

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom