Don't ask - Don't tell - RIP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is getting a bit ridiculous...you're the one who dragged out the topic of "what would MLK have thought about all this" with your "I think if MLK were alive today he wouldn't support the gay movement, nor abortion on demand and backhand Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and call them out for being poverty pimps that they are, dividing America and rebuke them for attempting to pervert his cause and mission" then on through all this stuff about his niece. Who cares what King might or might not have thought about gay people at the time, or what he might think if still alive today? MLK was a great leader in the fight against racial segregation, not an infallible all-purpose dowser's wand for The Right Answer on any and every social justice issue that might move to the fore at some particular point in time. And even if he were that, he's dead now and has been for 40 years. No one should need to know his precise stance on whatever topic in order to form--and defend--a stance of their own.

Last edited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayard_Rustin

Bayard Rustin (March 17, 1912 – August 24, 1987) was an American civil rights activist, important largely behind the scenes in the civil rights movement of the 1960s and earlier, and principal organizer of the 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. He counseled Martin Luther King, Jr. on the techniques of nonviolent resistance. Rustin was openly gay and advocated on behalf of gay and lesbian causes in the latter part of his career.

A year before his death in 1987, Rustin said: "The barometer of where one is on human rights questions is no longer the black community, it's the gay community. Because it is the community which is most easily mistreated."

diamond said:

I think if MLK were alive today he wouldn't support the gay movement,

funny, his wife does.

and finishing the thread, i see this has been mentioned. and the response was expectedly nonsensical.

Last edited:
Diamond,

What's your take on Rev. King's views of marital faithfulness?

Just sayin. . .

Nobody's perfect.

Irvine511 said:

funny, his wife does.

and finishing the thread, i see this has been mentioned. and the response was expectedly nonsensical.

his wife didn't when he was alive, and his wife wasn't an ordained minister unlike his neice who is now, seems to be better versed in theology than corretta and which i notice you keep glossing over these unfomfortable facts -common for most libreals.

dbs

maycocksean said:
Diamond,

What's your take on Rev. King's views of marital faithfulness?

Just sayin. . .

Nobody's perfect.

i think abernathy was a chump for writing what he did.

dbs

diamond said:

his wife didn't when he was alive, and his wife wasn't an ordained minister unlike his neice who is now, seems to be better versed in theology than corretta and which i notice you keep glossing over these unfomfortable facts -common for most libreals.

dbs

it was 1968, sweet pea.

i don't see what on earth one's being an ordained minister or not has to do with anything, unless you are saying that Coretta Scott King might agree that the religious tend to be bigots.

yolland said:
MLK was a great leader in the fight against racial segregation, not an infallible all-purpose dowser's wand for The Right Answer on any and every social justice issue...

exactly my point.

some have took it upon themselves to mix race/sexuality/abortion and all lumped them into a triology, and attempt to lumped them into all Dr King's mission, and I'm calling them on it.

Yes Melon and I'm glad Dr King had a gay friend and he has his interpretation of how he wished or hoped Dr King would come out in favor of the gay lobby today. Dr. King never did, altho some have tried to claim he did, he did not, had he I'm sure most African Americans would be in favor of your views, and most African Americans aren't in favor of gay rights.

Now if Dr King had or even alluded to, it would be a slam dunk for you guys. Cheer up though you still have Jesse and Al our your side-great company I might add.

dbs

diamond said:

some have took it upon themselves to mix race/sexuality/abortion and all lumped them into a triology, and attempt to lumped them into all Dr King's mission, and I'm calling them on it.

hello ... pot? this is the kettle calling. what's that color again?

[q]most African Americans aren't in favor of gay rights.[/q]

neither are most Mormons. :shrug:

except you'll find that African-American homophobia comes from a place that's beyond a book read with magic glasses.

Irvine511 said:

i don't see what on earth one's being an ordained minister or not has to do with anything, unless you are saying that Coretta Scott King might agree that the religious tend to be bigots.

of course you don't; most agnostic gay hunks wouldn't.

<>

Irvine511 said:

hello ... pot? this is the kettle calling. what's that color again?

[q]most African Americans aren't in favor of gay rights.[/q]

neither are most Mormons. :shrug:

except you'll find that African-American homophobia comes from a place that's beyond a book read with magic glasses.

your religious ignorance is reaching new heights this evening.

How you equate sexual orientation to religious conviction is bizzare.

The only one who is phobic is you, futurmore the book you refer to indirectly and arrogantly (The Book of Mormon) is silent about Homosexuality. The Bible on the other hand is not; I think you'd be and have been more comfortable around LDS believers than some of your beau's relatives from the So Baptist Wing of Christianity.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

<>

diamond said:
<insert ad infinitum holier than thou nonsensically illogical post laced with mindnumbingly unbelievable ignorance and/or bigotry, coupled with a relativistic view of history and reality that only a religious nut could stomach with a straight face>
:blahblah:

Only to a few, weighing the entire populus of the outside world vs a few of the more esoteric of FYM.

:)

dbs

Yeah. You only get arguments erupting like this when someone is clearly not a keen supporter of gay rights. If everyone in this thread truly supported equal opportunity in the services/in general, there'd be no segueing into colour and religious issues.

diamond said:

Dr. King never did, altho some have tried to claim he did, he did not, had he I'm sure most African Americans would be in favor of your views, and most African Americans aren't in favor of gay rights.

Hold up:

Are you suggesting that most African Americans would support gay rights if MLK had? That has to be the most absurd thing I've ever heard in my life.

Believe it or not, we black folk don't take our marching orders for every aspect of life from Dr. King. . .

I'm glad we got one thing established, MLK is not on record supporting gay rights, notwithstanding the gay lobby has tried to use him for that.

With your question maycocksean, I'm saying it couldn't have hurt if MLK had made definitive public statements favoring homosexuality, my point is he didn't and it shows already that all people are people and all people think for themselves this is why in their totality African Americans do not support gay rights even though the leaders in their polictical party today do (based on the sheer numbers they align themselves with). People here have called those independent minded African Americans (the majority of them) homophobes-that I think maybe could offend most African Americans, but I could be all wet.

Back to the thread:

The problem with this thread is how it was served up. A soilder died inadvertently because he stepped on an IED-which is tragic-from what I can tell, and I have asked for clarification if I'm wrong.

It was presented that he saved 2 soilders lives because he saw a bomb and knowlingly sacraficed his life and jumped on an IED, why was it presented this way?

Oh and lest we forget did you know happen to know that the soldier who gave his life that day happened to be gay?

<>

Last edited:
diamond said:
I'm glad we got one thing established, MLK is not on record supporting gay rights, notwithstanding the gay lobby has tried to use him for that.

MLK is not on record supporting Mormon rights either. That doesn't mean that, by default, MLK hated Mormons. In fact, silence does not equate hostility.

The purpose of bringing up Bayard Rustin was simple. By the time he was involved with MLK, he was a controversial figure and a known homosexual in a time when homophobia was heavily rampant both in America and the African American community at-large. If MLK was anti-gay in any capacity, he would not have associated himself with someone like Rustin. And yet, history is pretty clear on Rustin's contributions to MLK, and MLK's support of him, in spite of many of MLK's contemporaries voicing their hatred of him.

MLK, in his lifetime, was focused on black civil rights and--what probably killed him--an end to global poverty, even if it meant changing the face of capitalism forever. A new article on CNN.com, actually, depicts this side of MLK:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/01/mlk.final.crusade/

But considering MLK's character, his association with Rustin, in spite of being a hated man and a known homosexual, and the comments by his now deceased wife, I do not doubt that he could have pursued gay rights in the end.

diamond said:

It was presented that he saved 2 soilders lives because he saw a bomb and knowlingly sacraficed his life and jumped on an IED, why was it presented this way?

Oh and lest we forget did you know happen to know that the soldier who gave his life that day happened to be gay?

Are you saying it was presented that way BECAUSE he's gay? :eyebrow:

Anyone who even inadvertently steps on an IED deserves every bit of credit and praise because they are THERE in the first place-period, end of story. Unless and until your butt is on the line over there maybe you should withhold that type of judgment.

MLK was murdered in 1968.

given his record on human rights, given his friendships at the time, and given his current wife's position, it is quite reasonable to presume that, had he lived, he would be for the equality of gay citizens.

but you know what? we don't know this. but there's ample evidence that he would have gone in that direction. and pointing out that many African-American churches are homophobic doesn't mean that King would approve.

unless you think that all african-americans think exactly alike and take their marching orders from MLK.

ah, the subtlety of passive racism. you think you're not a racist when you praise MLK, but then, really, you kind of are, in that, "but my best friends are white and i once read a book of Dr. King's writings in college and thought it was so cool."

as for Allan Rogers, here's what Chris Crain, editor of the Washington Blade, had to say:

[q]WaPo 'ins' gay soldier killed in Iraq

The Washington Post ombudsman has gently criticized the paper's editorial judgment for "inning" a gay soldier killed in Iraq, omitting his sexual orientation from a story about his life.

Deborah Howell tackled the issue after a Washington Blade story quoted friends of Army Maj. Alan G. Rogers who were upset the Post ignored that Rogers was effectively the first openly gay soldier killed in the Iraq war. Rogers was out to many friends and was active in AVER, a gay veterans group.

Howell's look behind the scenes in the Post newsroom was quite telling:

For The Post, Rogers's death raised an unanswerable question: Would he have wanted to be identified as gay? Friends also struggled with that question but decided to tell The Post that he was because, they said, he wanted the military's "don't ask, don't tell" rule repealed. …

[The reporter] first wrote a story that included his friends talking about his orientation; some at the paper felt that was the right thing to do. But the material was omitted when the story was published. Many editors discussed the issue, and it was "an agonizing decision," one said. The decision ultimately was made by Executive Editor Len Downie, who said that there was no proof Rogers was gay and no clear indication that, if he was, he wanted the information made public.

It's fascinating to see journalists aggressive as those at the Post deferring to (some) friends and family rather than applying the same standards of newsworthiness they would to any other story. The Post stylebook even incorporates the views of the story subject into the editorial decision:

[q]"A person's sexual orientation should not be mentioned unless relevant to the story . . . . Not everyone espousing gay rights causes is homosexual. When identifying an individual as gay or homosexual, be cautious about invading the privacy of someone who may not wish his or her sexual orientation known."[/q]

I'm not sure what "evidence" Downie needed to to prove Rogers' sexual orientation. Ex-boyfriends? Love letters? Did the reporter search for them? Yes it's true that heterosexuals can join gay rights groups and have gay friends, and that is true. But still why wasn't Rogers' participation in the group, which was confirmed, in and of itself newsworthy, along with what his gay friends had to say about him?

Howell eventually concludes in the last paragraph of her column that the story should have included Rogers' sexual orientation, but she cushions her criticism:

[q]The Post was right to be cautious, but there was enough evidence -- particularly of Rogers's feelings about "don't ask, don't tell" -- to warrant quoting his friends and adding that dimension to the story of his life. The story would have been richer for it.[/q]

Cautious OK but the way the story was handled suggests a real double standard, however well-intentioned, is at work here. My own belief is that real reason for the omission -- which has been an ongoing issue with obituaries at the Post that I've written about a number of times over the years -- was signaled in the opening line of Howell's column:

[q]What should a newspaper print about a person's most private life in a story after his death?[/q]

Rogers' being gay was his "most private life"? Why is the sexual orientation a gay person his "most private" secret when it is a routine fact treated with no privacy expectation whatsoever with heterosexuals? Howell acknowledges that Rogers kept his romantic life -- not sex life, which is private, but romantic life -- only as private as he needed to in order to comply with "Don't Ask Don't Tell."

I'm not of the school that the press "owes us" our heroes and thus should report sexual orientation more frequently. But I do believe the same editorial standards ought to apply to gay and straight alike.[/q]

here is Army Major Alan Rogers:

rogers_allen.jpg

There's a lot of literary extrapolation, assumptions and licsence being taking in the last 4 posts.

Those posts speak to character; I know I have many friends and don't ask them if their part of the rainbow coalition, nor keep a score card of their sexual persuassion.

What one needs to ask one self to keep this on an objective level is-would this have been made into a thread if Army Maj. Alan G. Rogers were an A Sexual Tongan Ameriacan and inadvertently stumbled onto an IED?

Ponder that thought.

<>

<>

diamond said:

What one needs to ask one self to keep this on an objective level is-would this have been made into a thread if Army Maj. Alan G. Rogers were an A Sexual Tongan Ameriacan and inadvertently stumbled onto an IED?

are Sexual Tongan Americans banned from the US Armed forces, and did this hypothetical soldier actively work to change this policy?

Is that the *best* you could do boo-boo?
It's an "A-Sexual" silly.

Melon I will deal with your post later, busy with work.

dbs

Martha dear you know that as a person in real life I have a zest for love, understanding and clarity.

I'm here to offer those 3 items.

dbs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom