Does anyone know the story of how the 1st dictionary came about?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
Please answer if you know, cos a group of us today were trying to work out how the very first one could have been made. Obviously slowly at 1st, and probably over a few years at least til they had all the words...But did some really boring bored person just start writing down all the words they knew one day or what? Consider that we have thousands of words, most we never use....

~The mind wobbles -Kelly Bundy

i am going to take a guess that the church was heavily involved.

but i don't really know
wink.gif

Originally posted by kobayashi:
i am going to take a guess that the church was heavily involved.

but i don't really know
wink.gif

WRONG!
dictionary isn't as old as i thought it was.

Seems to me from my studies of English Lit that Samuel Johnson wrote it. Or was that Ben Johnson? Well one of them, I think.

Noah Webster wrote the first accepted dictionary of American English.

Originally posted by U2Bama:
George Washington probably wrote it; there is no way a non-American could have written it.

There is actually a very interesting book entitled The Professor and the Madman - A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary - the most comprehensive dictionary and still today the OED is the standard in the field. Much like King James oversaw the updating of the bible for the modern age is Webster's role in bringing the dictionary to Americans.

From "the complete review" :

"Seizing the marvelous story of the murderer Dr. William Chester Minor, incarcerated in a lunatic asylum, and his contribution to the making of the Oxford English Dictionary, Winchester has fashioned an entertaining little book. Relating the circumstances of the bizarre murder, as well as Minor's background and what might have led to his descent into madness, Winchester provides a good account of this peculiar person. He is similarly successful in introducing the great work of James Murray, the guiding hand behind the OED, as well as in describing the work necessary to create this monumental dictionary.
The unusual histories of these two men, and the great work which they were both involved in, make for a fine and fun read. Occasionally, Winchester tags on a journalistic embellishment that has no place here, and he does hypothesize freely (though generally also openly) in painting his canvas. With no notes and only a vague chapter suggesting further reading the book is not quite as useful as it might be for readers interested in exploring the subject further.
Nevertheless, for what it sets out to do -- accessibly tell a fun tale -- it is a fine book, and we can recommend it."

------------------
Mone

For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors and laugh at them in our turn? - Jane Austen

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well. - Joe Ancis

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously. - Hubert H. Humphrey
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. - George Bernard Shaw

[This message has been edited by YellowKite (edited 05-14-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom