Do you think George Walker Bush is trustworthy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klaus

Refugee
on a one of these small green spots at that blue p
Do you think other countries can Trust G.W.Bushs words or count on contracts they made with the United States?

I just saw another 180? degree change from G.W.B. and thought by myself "If i were a leader of a country and G.W.B. would promise me something or even give me a contract, would i believe him?"

So, who of you would believe his words if you were a leader and who wouldn't (and why?)

Klaus

p.s. this is not about Iraq and please don't make yet another Iraq thread out of it.

First off, I?d never believe words from a politician - but that?s not limited to G.W. Bush, it just goes for any politician.

Second, if there is a written, signed contract, it depends on what?s written inside of there, how you can interprete it and who has the better lawyers/ more influence.

I wouldn't comment on whether as an individual man he's trustworthy or not. However, as a politician I believe he's completely untrustworthy. Partly this is because I believe the decisions he makes are very frequently designed to pay-back those people who financed his campaign, and are not in the interests of the majority of American people. I don't believe what he's saying about tax cuts, they won't benefit ordinary working people, they'll benefit the wealthiest people in the US. And in any case, giving a tax cut when your national debt is close on $400 billion is irresponsible to say the least. I definitely don't believe what he says about Iraq: he claimed it was up to Saddam whether there was war or not, and yet even though the weapons inspectors have said Saddam is complying, Bush wants war. It's clearly not in Saddam's power to stop this war.

But again, those are all comments on his political trustworthiness, not his personal honesty, and to be honest, I trust very few politicians anyway.

I wasn't thinking of the standard election campaign lies, everyone seems to do this in our days :( .
I was thinking about reliability and trustwothieness between countries.
And from my point of view G.W.B. damaged the American image here (Environment, International laws and Justice, Weapon development)

Klaus

what freedom, exactly, dear diary?

the freedom of speech? ask the chix of dixie, how they feel about that right about now, dear diary.

Well the Chics are more a victim of intolerance and other people's opinion's about freedom of speech rather than Bush himself. But what about the men being held without lawyers or trials right now as we speak? Is this the freedom you speak of?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Well the Chics are more a victim of intolerance and other people's opinion's about freedom of speech rather than Bush himself.

Beautiful. The Dixie Chicks are now a "victim". They spoke. The public spoke. It's all speech.

Intolerance is too often used as a one-way street requiring acceptance on one side's opinion, while treating the other side's opinion as illegitimate.

To the orignial question - is GWB trustworthy? Some make not like the position he takes, but he has never represented that the US will only follow UN directive. He has consistently stated that the US reserves the right to take unilateral action.

Beautiful. The Dixie Chicks are now a "victim". They spoke. The public spoke. It's all speech.

You're right I really needed to look at my wording a little better. What I meant was that the outlash to the Chicks had nothing to do with the loss of freedom. Their speech wasn't being regulated by the govenment but by the a few over-actionary citizens.

To the orignial question - is GWB trustworthy? Some make not like the position he takes, but he has never represented that the US will only follow UN directive. He has consistently stated that the US reserves the right to take unilateral action.

There is a much larger spectrum here.

I know we have several US veterans on this forum.

I watched the President today talking about the great job the troops are doing. I heard this from a vet calling into Wahington Today and then found this article. I think it relates to this thread.

By Tai Moses
Our own commander-in-chief has shown little respect for the men and women he has sent into harm's way. Even as Bush has ordered more than 200,000 troops into combat, the Republicans in the House Budget Committee voted to cut $25 billion from the Department of Veterans Affairs' budget over the next 10 years; just when wounded or ill Gulf War II combat vets are sure to need benefits the most. This is unprecedented; it is always difficult to get money for vets in peacetime, but to slash veterans' pensions and disability compensation at the beginning of a war defies belief. So when someone questions the patriotism of antiwar protesters, remind them of the administration's hypocrisy.

gbhair1.jpg

It is hard to trust a guy who can even comb his own hair.

i don't think bush really knows what's happening... I think there's a few elder statesmen (KIssinger and Wolfowitz to name a few) who've been around for a long time and are now using bush as a puppet to push their policies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom