Do You Really Believe that Smoking Pot is a Safe Alternative to Tobacco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Cannabis smoke health warning

Monday, November 11, 2002 Posted: 7:32 AM EST (1232 GMT)

LONDON, England -- Health risks from smoking cannabis have risen dramatically since the 1960s because of changes to the way the drug is produced, a health charity says.

The British Lung Foundation warned smoking three cannabis joints a day can cause the same lung damage as 20 cigarettes.

Its report, A Smoking Gun, says smoking pure cannabis is as harmful as tobacco and when the two are mixed the effects are dramatically worsened.

The BLF report, published on Monday, said the health risks were worse now than in the 1960s because there is more THC (tetrahydrocanabinol), the ingredient which accounts for the psychoactive properties of cannabis, in the substance consumed today.

BLF Chairman Dr. Mark Britton told the UK's Press Association: "These statistics will come as a surprise to many people, especially those who choose to smoke cannabis rather than tobacco in the belief it is safer for them.

"It is vital that people are fully aware of the dangers so they can make an educated decision and know the damage they may be causing."

The study looked at existing scientific and medical research on cannabis smoking and respiratory health.

Evidence shows that tar from cannabis cigarettes contains 50 percent more cancer producing agents, or carcinogens, than tobacco, it says.

Dame Helena Shovelton, BLF chief executive, told the BBC's Today programme: "Puff and inhalation volume with cannabis is up to four times higher than with tobacco. In other words you inhale deeper and hold your breath with the smoke for longer before exhaling.

"This results in more poisonous carbon monoxide and tar entering into the lungs."

She added that the charity wanted to ensure people were aware of the dangers -- but was not advising on whether or not to smoke cannabis.

Melon

nbcrusader said:

You know, you would think this was the obvious answer.....

LOL...I know! I am completely in agreement with you. But, honestly, I have hit so many dead ends in arguing the obvious (particularly, this issue), so I thought I would see what people thought here.

Melon

Who in their right mind can compare weed and cigarettes?

These are two totally different drugs. Who really says well smokes are bad for me so i'm gonna pick up weed instead!! Hello!

I am all for smoking pot. Just dont do it in front of kids at work and dont drive with it. But a three year old could have told you the results of this study.

I hope to god theydidnt spend taxpayers money on this!!!

The US did a similar study in the late 60's/ early 70's that concluded the same thing....that pot contained more carsinogens than tobacco cigarettes. The only reason people believe it's "safer" is because it has "medicinal purposes." They want to use that catchphrase over and over to get it legalized for everyone. Pot can be beneficial for a cancer patient going through Chemotherapy, and should be used for that purpose if it is going to be legalized.

bonoman said:

These are two totally different drugs. Who really says well smokes are bad for me so i'm gonna pick up weed instead!! Hello!

I am all for smoking pot. Just dont do it in front of kids at work and dont drive with it. But a three year old could have told you the results of this study.

I know quite a few people who think that smoking weed is harmless and have quit smoking cigs and continue to smoke weed... sometimes the obvious is not so obvious.

bonoman said:

:up: LOL--so true. I don't know one person who smokes weed as an alternative to tobacco. That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard!

And you know what? Skydiving is also a dangerous, potentially fatal, form of recreation. Yet it's legal. The reason that marijuana is illegal in the U.S. has little to do with the government's concern for our health and everything to do with politics.

Zooropa said:

I know quite a few people who think that smoking weed is harmless and have quit smoking cigs and continue to smoke weed... sometimes the obvious is not so obvious.

But that's not the same as what is implied in this article, that for people who have to smoke something they choose pot over marijuana. People smoke marijuana to get high, not to replace a nicotine craving/addiction. Two completely different things.

daisybean said:
Pot can be beneficial for a cancer patient going through Chemotherapy, and should be used for that purpose if it is going to be legalized.

It is a pain reliever, plain and simple. For the terminally ill, at least, they have no concerns as to whether they would develop cancer 20-30 years down the road. They aren't going to live that long.

Why it won't be legalized is because I know there are going to be far more people who are perfectly healthy smoking it, rather than a small percentage of terminally ill patients.

Melon

But marijuana is the least of our concerns when it comes to cancer. Good lord, hairspray, deodorant, pesticides, fertilizers, air pollution and most things under your kitchen sink are WAY bigger concerns. Chemical sensitivity is the illness of the 21st century and it's chemicals that are the biggest concern, not moderate amounts of marijuana. To me the concern over marijuana stills reeks of puritanical control.

Here in Canada there has been more talk of legalizing pot. I do think pot is safer than alcohol in the sense that people who are high are usually less dangerous than those intoxicated (general statement here).

However, it is terrible for your lungs and that should close the argument right there! They are trying to make smoking socially unacceptable and it is surely but slowly working. Many of our cities are smoke free, which means you can't even smoke in the bars. It's ridiculous to say that pot is good for you. I mean, tylenol will cure a headache occasionally, but a bottle will kill you.

Legalize marijuana and everyone will suddenly need and claim it's for medicinal purposes, then lung cancer will dramatically increase.

I think that if they knew what they know now about cigarettes way back when, they may have been illegal.

UltravioletU2 said:
Here in Canada there has been more talk of legalizing pot. I do think pot is safer than alcohol in the sense that people who are high are usually less dangerous than those intoxicated (general statement here).

A Study from the French government showed some years ago that the dangers of Alcohol (Chemical Dependencies) are comparable to Heroine.

Anyway.. noone should take drugs - they are allways dangerous but forbiding them dosn't help (because most people in the age of 15-20 don't care too much about laws)

Klaus

melon said:

Why it won't be legalized is because I know there are going to be far more people who are perfectly healthy smoking it, rather than a small percentage of terminally ill patients.

Melon

Exactly...my apologies if I wasn't very clear in my previous post. I think it should be treated like any other narcotic pain killer, by perscription only. That should be the only legality to it....if you have a medical need for, your doctor should be able to prescribe it to you. Get it out to the people who will truely benefit from it, the terminally ill cancer patients who want to make themselves a little more comfortable. I don't think it should be used for the average Joe who has a "tummy ache"

Who cares if you legalize it decrimanalize it or ban it i and any person under the sun will get weed smoke it VERY freely and not have to worry if they carry 2 g's or less.

People talking about how it should and shouldnt be legalized is going nowhere because nothing will change. There wont be more or less ppl doing it and it wont get harder or softer.

In Alberta and BC we have the best(strongest) weed in the world. There is no better stuff. I want them to keep it illegal because we all know when govt goes into business they always do a shit job of it.

joyfulgirl said:

But that's not the same as what is implied in this article, that for people who have to smoke something they choose pot over marijuana. People smoke marijuana to get high, not to replace a nicotine craving/addiction. Two completely different things.

you misunderstand me, I do know people who smoke pot as an alternative to tobacco. Also, I would not be so quick to imply that the illegalality of pot has to do with politics. Marijuana is a dangerous drug, although many like to believe it is not. Justification for a dangerous habit is not a substitute for the truth.

Funny thing about pot: It contains all kinds of carcinogens, but it has never once been known to cause cancer. It's true. It's confounded scientists for the longest time. Unlike cigarettes, marijuana has never killed anyone.

Another interesting fact: Pot isn't a pain reliever, per se. What it does is mess with a person's short term memory, so the person will, in effect, forget that he/she is in pain.

They really need to legalize it, dammit. I have bad dealer karma.

Not George Lucas said:
Funny thing about pot: It contains all kinds of carcinogens, but it has never once been known to cause cancer. It's true. It's confounded scientists for the longest time. Unlike cigarettes, marijuana has never killed anyone.

Another interesting fact: Pot isn't a pain reliever, per se. What it does is mess with a person's short term memory, so the person will, in effect, forget that he/she is in pain.

They really need to legalize it, dammit. I have bad dealer karma.

All true, according to what I've read. Whenever marijuana has been linked with cancer, it has been the combination of marijuana and cigarettes. Whenever it has been linked to car accidents, it has been the combination of alcohol and marijuana.

As for pain relief, users generally adamantly insist it dulls pain, but this is in fact inconsistent with the findings of studies. I tend to trust my own personal experience here rather than studies, as do doctors working with the terminally ill who are fighting to have medical marijuana legalized. Memory loss or pain relief? To me it doesn't matter.

Anyway, no one is saying it's not dangerous at all. But the fact that many substances that are significantly more dangerous are legal still leads me to believe the illegality of marijuana is mostly a political issue. In fact, it's incredibly obvious to me. Prescription drugs, for example, are linked to over 100,000 deaths per year according to a study published in the Journal of the AMA. Aspirin is linked to over 7,500. Marijuana 0.

Salome said:
if pot is as bad as tobacco
then selling tobacco should also be made illegal

You're right. I've advocated its illegality from the start here.

Melon

joyfulgirl said:
Whenever it has been linked to car accidents, it has been the combination of alcohol and marijuana.

Think about that:
On a German Autobahn (2 lanes) i'm on the left lane with 300km/h you (smoked Marijuana)and change the lane because you try to overtake a Truck..

I think it's pretty obvious that your decreased reaction and problems with reality could lead to a deadly crash.
(You still giggle while i crash with 200km/h into your back and didn't have the time to think about what would have been a adequate reaction)

The main problme to link this with statistics is that Police irgnored non-alcoholic drugs in car accidents in the past.
That changed and i'm pretty sure that you can find statistical proofs for that soon.

Anyway, no one is saying it's not dangerous at all. But the fact that many substances that are significantly more dangerous are legal still leads me to believe the illegality of marijuana is mostly a political issue. In fact, it's incredibly obvious to me.

Think the other way - it's a political/historical issue that some dangerous drugs are legal.
But - is it a good idea to make every drug legaly avail. just because it's less dangerous than alcohol?

Prescription drugs, for example, are linked to over 100,000 deaths per year according to a study published in the Journal of the AMA. Aspirin is linked to over 7,500. Marijuana 0.

It depends how you count the deaths - i'm not enough of a expert to tell you if there is any physical damage through pot that can kill you But i can asure that i knew someone (school times) who died because he didn't see the risk of what he was doing (swimming in a big lake during a storm) because he smoked Marijuana.

I have no problem with Marijuana as medcine (pain relief).
I'm sure that some people know how to handle marijuana and don't abuse it.But i also know some ppl. where marijuana ruins there life.

Klaus

joyfulgirl said:
But marijuana is the least of our concerns when it comes to cancer. Good lord, hairspray, deodorant, pesticides, fertilizers, air pollution and most things under your kitchen sink are WAY bigger concerns. Chemical sensitivity is the illness of the 21st century and it's chemicals that are the biggest concern, not moderate amounts of marijuana. To me the concern over marijuana stills reeks of puritanical control.

If the marijuana was just sitting under your kitchen sink with the rest of the chemicals, I'd agree with you. But it's getting smoked. It's going into your body in high doses. It's smoking marijuana, drinking high doses of pesticides, and using your hairspray as a breath-freshener that pose a cancer risk.

Klaus said:

Think about that:
On a German Autobahn (2 lanes) i'm on the left lane with 300km/h you (smoked Marijuana)and change the lane because you try to overtake a Truck..

I think it's pretty obvious that your decreased reaction and problems with reality could lead to a deadly crash.
(You still giggle while i crash with 200km/h into your back and didn't have the time to think about what would have been a adequate reaction)

The main problme to link this with statistics is that Police irgnored non-alcoholic drugs in car accidents in the past.
That changed and i'm pretty sure that you can find statistical proofs for that soon.

Think the other way - it's a political/historical issue that some dangerous drugs are legal.
But - is it a good idea to make every drug legaly avail. just because it's less dangerous than alcohol?

It depends how you count the deaths - i'm not enough of a expert to tell you if there is any physical damage through pot that can kill you But i can asure that i knew someone (school times) who died because he didn't see the risk of what he was doing (swimming in a big lake during a storm) because he smoked Marijuana.

I have no problem with Marijuana as medcine (pain relief).
I'm sure that some people know how to handle marijuana and don't abuse it.But i also know some ppl. where marijuana ruins there life.

Klaus

Klaus--I certainly do not advocate smoking weed and then driving. However, study after study after study has shown that regular marijuana users are very conservative drivers (first time users definitely shouldn't drive). They know they're high, they don't want any trouble, they use extra caution in driving. In one famous study conducted by the British Ministry of Transportation (or whatever it's called) the only time the marijuana user became confused was when they had to drive around in circles in a figure 8 which, frankly, is confusing to me under any circumstances. The marijuana user, recognizing they are high, would say, "better take a back road--I ain't driving around that roundabout." (That wasn't in the study--I just made that up but I bet it's true).

Alcohol, on the other hand, promotes risk-taking and recklessness in driving. Reaction time is decreased under the influence of marijuana but significantly less than under fatigue and alcohol. Fatigue is the #1 cause of fatal car accidents, followed by alcohol, with 'other drugs' a distant third.

I advocate decriminalizing marijuana in the US, not legalizing it.

And kids, don't smoke or drink and drive.

Spiral_Staircase said:

If the marijuana was just sitting under your kitchen sink with the rest of the chemicals, I'd agree with you. But it's getting smoked. It's going into your body in high doses. It's smoking marijuana, drinking high doses of pesticides, and using your hairspray as a breath-freshener that pose a cancer risk.

Sprial, do you really think drinking high does of pesticides and putting hairspray into your mouth is the only way these products are dangerous? My best friend died from lung cancer last year. A rare form of lung cancer, non-smoking related, that is only seen in people with exposure to chemicals such as pesticides. He was 42 and in otherwise perfect health. But he lived in places as a child where he was exposed to a lot of shit.

Most household cleaning products are extremely toxic. My friend with chemical sensitivities can be sent to the emergency room if he sits beside someone who's wearing perfume in the threatre for 30 minutes. I have had to de-toxify my home so that he can come over. And this is becoming an increasingly large problem in our toxic world. I grew up in a farming community in Virginia. My father used to spray crops with pesticides with his airplane. An alarming number of people in the community have really weird, obscure life-threatening illnesses. I myself get migraines and have dizzy spells every time I visit my mother because I live in such a clean non-toxic environment today that I am extremely sensitive to the levels of toxicity in that part of the country.

I know some people who lost their driving licence because of Marijuana consume - and i think it's ok .
Also i think it's a sad thing that some ppl throw their life away because of a drug imho they should be able to do this - it's a free country. But liberty stops where others will be harmed.
And Marijuana and driving is such a thing.
If you are not able to do the right things as fast as possible at the steering wheel you a re a danger to the public.
(Imagine s.o. who smoked Marijuana and a tire of his car blews) The roads are far to crowded - chances are pretty high that an innocent person will be harmed or even killed..
(Same for Alcohol too of course)
Just because it's less dangerous than the most dangerous thing dosn't make it harmless.

And kids, don't smoke or drink and drive.

Right - don't drive if you reduced your ability to do so - no matter which drug (alcohol, marijuana, pills,.. whatever) you took

Klaus

joyfulgirl said:

Sprial, do you really think drinking high does of pesticides and putting hairspray into your mouth is the only way these products are dangerous?

:der: don't take me too seriously. I say stupid stuff all the time.

But on that topic....I found this article interesting when someone posted it around here a few weeks ago (my apologies if you saw it the first time around). Considering your experiences, it might make you angry. It was just a very different take on the issue of carcinogenic synthetic chemicals than what I'm used to hearing.

Ok....back to pot. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom