Do You Miss East Germany?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Then go to the theme park! LOL

East Germany theme park planned
'The aim isn't to make big joke'

BERLIN (Reuters) - Hoping to capitalize on a wave of nostalgia for Communist East Germany, a Berlin company is planning to build a theme park that revives life behind the Iron Curtain in the country that disappeared nearly 13 years ago.

Massine Productions GmbH hopes to recreate a 100,000-square-foot replica of East Germany, complete with surly border guards, rigorous customs inspections, authentic East German mark notes, and restaurants with regulation bland East German food.

"The aim isn't to make big joke out of East Germany," said Susanne Reich, a spokeswoman for the company which is expected to invest several million dollars on the project, slated for the southeastern Berlin district of Koepenick.

"It was an important part of Germany's history and the period should be recreated as accurately as possible."

Nostalgia for what was called the German Democratic Republic has lingered ever since reunification in 1990. Known as "Ostalgie," a play on the German words for east and nostalgia, the spirit has given rise to scores of "GDR parties," books, songs and popular films.

A German film "Good Bye, Lenin," in which a man recreates East Germany in a 850-square-foot apartment to protect his ailing mother from the shock of reunification after she comes out of a coma, has surged to the top of the German film charts and more than a million people have been to see it.

Melon

melon said:

A German film "Good Bye, Lenin," in which a man recreates East Germany in a 850-square-foot apartment to protect his ailing mother from the shock of reunification after she comes out of a coma, has surged to the top of the German film charts and more than a million people have been to see it.

Melon

LOL @ the theme park idea. I don't doubt it was an important part of Germany's history, however is a theme park the most appropriate way to commemorate that?

However, that film does sound interesting. I'd like to see it.

A teeshirt is nice stuff. But a theme park, I dunno. I was passing that border lots of times. What kind of fun game do they want to install? Keep you in a room for three hours when you want to pass the border (non-Germans, the Germans got it worse)? What an enchanting afternoon.

Great ideas. Instead of a 3-D film or IMAX, you could sit in a room and have a light shined in you face while they ask you questions over and over again.

I'm glad that East Germany is still here - and i would miss it if that part of Germany would dissapear ;) Of course i don't miss the DDR.
Haven't heared about that theme park here in the news, but someone in my neighbourhood stole my newspapers this week (or is he a communist and dosn't believe in private property?*heh*)
Anyway, the film is fun to view - there's the perspective "how would the world look like if the kapitalistic system didn't work out and the communist system had won"

Klaus

Klaus, I think it would be a trash flic. :lol:

As long as they hire Tarantino and do it in the style of Killing Zoe they have my sanctus though.

lol, how stupid is that? unbelievable.

but count me to go when i go back to europe in fall. :up:

on a serious note, has anyone other than me been to checkpoint charlie? thats quite an interesting place.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars: *grin* yeah Killing Zoe is fun to watch too - well anyway, if you like political cabaret you might like that movie too ;-)

Gickies Gageeze: yes i have been there once - verry interesting history, but what was interesting from your point of view?

well the whole thing was interesting, but there is one thing that i remember most about the tour inside the building...

you know they have that car that was used as a vehicle to sneak people away and had the bullet-holes?

well, apparently only some of those were real. there were a few holes apparently created afterwards. and then there was a sign at checkpoint charlie, that asked "why would they make it look worse than it was?"

and i didnt know!

Reality isn't spectacular enough anymore to the "Hollywodized" people :(

I remember a "making of" a movie which name i forgot ;) when they said they increased size of the Colosseum to 110% because the original one wasn't impressive enough.

People start to take Movies for real and now our reality must be "improved" to fit the expectations

Klaus

Back
Top Bottom