Do we put our beliefs in a box?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
So...liberal. Conservative. Democrat. Republican. I have a very hard time feeling at home in any of these categories. I (as some of you have noticed :)) am for debt cancellation and aid, foreign trade reform. For school vouchers. Against a war on Iraq. (95%) against abortion. Don't like Bush's tax cut. Yada yada. Some of these are "conservative" and some are more "liberal." Any one else like me? I worry sometimes that a lot of Americans, and I'd imagine other countries too, indentify with a label rather than thinking the acutal issues through. Maybe it's the parties that are not consistent, instead of me. :D

Any thoughts?

SD

I am neither, I believe what I believe and I don't care what I get labeled. I am usually afraid to speak out because I don't like to fight. and I'm scared of being yelled at :reject: So guess I should leave FYM:uhoh:

MrBrau1 said:
But if you don't pick a label the world will have a much harder time generalizing you. Pick a label damnit! : )

Unfortunately, if you try to live without a label, the world will either give you one or create one for you.

As to your original point SD, most people probably have beliefs that are not fully consistent with a label. Also, many people adopt a label, but have beliefs that are inconsistant with the adopted label.

no box please

The world can label me if they want, but they would be wrong.

Sherry Darling said:
So...liberal. Conservative. Democrat. Republican. I have a very hard time feeling at home in any of these categories. I (as some of you have noticed :)) am for debt cancellation and aid, foreign trade reform. For school vouchers. Against a war on Iraq. (95%) against abortion. Don't like Bush's tax cut. Yada yada. Some of these are "conservative" and some are more "liberal." Any one else like me? I worry sometimes that a lot of Americans, and I'd imagine other countries too, indentify with a label rather than thinking the acutal issues through. Maybe it's the parties that are not consistent, instead of me. :D

Any thoughts?

SD

Socially conservative, economically liberal?

Im not any label, I have my views on things and if it makes people feel better to label me than thats fine label me. I frankly dont care what other label me as.

al.gore.jpg

Can it be a "lockbox?"

Sherry Darling said:

Any thoughts?

SD

I think it depends on the issue with me. I would rather be known as a thinker than be labled.

Here...most probably think of me as conservative.....Amongst my more religious friends, I am known as the liberal.

Maybe it all has to do with what you are comparing yourself to? Or who is comparing you?

My beliefs have changed with time as well......

I get labeled by many ppl. Liberals call me conservative. Conservatives call me liberal. I just make decsions on what i think is right. I dont need no politcain to follow i am a leader and i follow my heart instead of some dumb-ass trying to round the troops.

If anyone knew me in real life they would soon find out i love to argue about anything but am quick to step out if i dont know what i'm talking about. People like labels it keeps them in check.

Back
Top Bottom