Dixie Chicks Explain Anti-Bush Comment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
*calls Thread Rip-off Police*
*Undisclosed Parties Implicated in Plot to Steal Thread*

I doubt if the effects of this controversy will last beyond the war. Just about every popular musician or movie star or whatever starts to get flack after a steady stream of nice press. The controversy might concern a divorce, an affair (or both), overexposure, a picture in the "wrong" publication, and God knows what else. After time the controversy blows over and people, generally speaking, stop thinking about it because it's generally not exactly like the star committed murder or joined the Klan.

verte76 said:
*calls Thread Rip-off Police*
*Undisclosed Parties Implicated in Plot to Steal Thread*

goodness. i was just kidding around.

i thought this place could use a little levity lately....

Screaming Flower, the thing about the Thread Rip-Off Police and "undisclosed parties" was supposed to be a joke. :yikes: :yikes: Did I screw up again (I screwed up a thread of Dreadsox' yesterday:yikes: :yikes: )

I do dress up in a Grenadier outfit and harass people in Boston around the site of the Boston Massacre and Fanuel Hall on occasion. Once I arrested Ben Franklin. I did accidently run the bayonett through my boot... OUCH!!!!!

Sorry...back to the Dixie Chicks....

I am proud of her for making her statements.
I am disappointed she did it on foreign soil....which for some reason really pisses me off.
I do appreciate the fans boycotting....

I am just one big contradiction.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

You might already have said this and I just missed it. But I wondered if you agree with those people who think "Dixie" is racist, or not?

I personally do not think the term "Dixie" in and of itself is racist. I even find the tune commonly referred to as "Dixie" to be beutifully adapted as a bluegrass tune, one which has been covered by liberal musicians such as David Grisman and the late Jerry Garcia.

And I agree with Gabrielvox that there is no racist intent on the part of the Dixie Chicks in their nomenclature; I was merely posing a "political correctness" scenario on this band who currently has the favor of the anti-war interests. I won't mention double standards. Oppos, I just did. Never mind.

whenhiphop, I guess you don't think listeners should have a say in what is played on the radio stations they listen to? I see the listener as a target market audience, and occasionally stations see the need to follow the request of their listeners. However, I think this rarely happens.

I agree with you about artists playing at inaugurations, though. If I boycotted artists who have played at Democratic functions, my expansive musical tastes would be much smaller. The Eagles, Tom Petty and others come to mind. Hey, I still listen to Sheryl Crow.

~U2Alabama

Dreadsox said:
Sorry...back to the Dixie Chicks....

I am proud of her for making her statements.
I am disappointed she did it on foreign soil....which for some reason really pisses me off.
I do appreciate the fans boycotting....

I am just one big contradiction.

that's how i feel too. i think it's great they took a stand and spoke their minds. i just think it would have really taken guts to say it in texas.

U2Bama said:

Hey, I still listen to Sheryl Crow.

~U2Alabama

:up:

I think that says alot.

We all must remember that musicians are people like everyone else. It must be hard to have your every leaning either way under the glare of the public eye..at some point they must just want to let it all hang out and say whatever is on their mind - do they do it to be cool or to gain publicity? Maybe some do, but I'd hazard that for the most part when you hear a celebrity come out and say something they do it partly out of frustration at being told by their agents/managers to keep their mouths shut all the time, when sometimes they just want to be afforded the very same freedom to speak that we all enjoy.

As for the Dixie Chicks, it's been mentioned in different posts that a. they performed at Bush's inaugeration and b. one of them recently stated that they were disappointed in his current performance, but both statements haven't really been commented on in one post. I think this is probably a very real and common sentiment amongst alot of Americans, that they were happy to see Bush sworn in, but now the honeymoon is over so to speak, and some may even be wishing they hadn't voted him in in the first place. I don't see a duality in the Dixie Chicks saying what they have now, I see them saying 'holy shit, this is who we previously supported???'

And shouldn't they just like everyone else have the right to reevaluate their choices?

I feel pretty unresolved about the issue of celebrities and using it as a way to make their voice louder. Yes, I know, a strange situation for a U2 fan, who's members and front-man especially are always voicing what they believe.

Ultimately, they do have the right to voice their opinions. The negative consequence is that ignorant people (and there are too many of them around) may be directly influenced by what such celebrities think. At the moment, I'm fuming over Bob Geldoff's participation in the Anti-Euro campaign. It angers me, but why shouldn't they be able to express their opinions?

It is good however, that the Dixie Chicks expressed their opinions. Not least of all because the member feels that way, but also because they've voiced something I do hear a lot of. I've lost count of the number of Texans who come out and apologise for being Texan because of Mr. Bush. They shouldn't apologise, of course, but its such a strange thing to do.

Ant.

Last edited:
gabrielvox said:
We all must remember that musicians are people like everyone else. It must be hard to have your every leaning either way under the glare of the public eye..at some point they must just want to let it all hang out and say whatever is on their mind - do they do it to be cool or to gain publicity? Maybe some do, but I'd hazard that for the most part when you hear a celebrity come out and say something they do it partly out of frustration at being told by their agents/managers to keep their mouths shut all the time, when sometimes they just want to be afforded the very same freedom to speak that we all enjoy.

Good point.

I don't know why some people in this country are getting all bent out of shape about celebrities voicing their opinions. They say that the celebrities are not shaping their views-I don't think that's the celebrities' intention, I think they're just expressing their opinion just like anyone else, and if you agree, fine, if not, that's fine, too.

Originally posted by gabrielvox
As for the Dixie Chicks, it's been mentioned in different posts that a. they performed at Bush's inaugeration and b. one of them recently stated that they were disappointed in his current performance, but both statements haven't really been commented on in one post. I think this is probably a very real and common sentiment amongst alot of Americans, that they were happy to see Bush sworn in, but now the honeymoon is over so to speak, and some may even be wishing they hadn't voted him in in the first place. I don't see a duality in the Dixie Chicks saying what they have now, I see them saying 'holy shit, this is who we previously supported???'

And shouldn't they just like everyone else have the right to reevaluate their choices?

Exactly.

People are allowed to change their minds about a president.

Angela

I agree. Celebrities are people like everyone else. They have the same rights and freedoms that I do. If they don't like Policy X, they have the right to say so. I don't have to agree if I don't like it. I'm glad the girl from the Dixie Chicks spoke up, too; she has the right to her opinion and shouldn't keep her mouth shut just because she is a singer. She has the right to change her mind about Bush. I have cousins in Texas who don't like Bush. My sister's boyfriend is from Texas and doesn't like the statue of Bush Sr. in the Houston airport. I'm sure others feel the same way.

Looks like the brave Dixie Chicks have chickened out. They are now backpeddling and apoligizing for the statement. Lame.

womanfish said:
Looks like the brave Dixie Chicks have chickened out. They are now backpeddling and apoligizing for the statement. Lame.

Not lame. They realize that they have offended a portion of their target audience. It doesn't look like they were ready for a career change to political analyst.

Do they have the right to make their statement? Yes.

Do fans have the right to make their statements? Yes.

Do $$$ frequently take precedence over standing by our principles? Yes.

Will many people remember this incident in three months time? No.

nbcrusader said:

Not lame. They realize that they have offended a portion of their target audience. It doesn't look like they were ready for a career change to political analyst.

Do they have the right to make their statement? Yes.

Do fans have the right to make their statements? Yes.

Do $$$ frequently take precedence over standing by our principles? Yes.

Will many people remember this incident in three months time? No.

Oh please, if no one will remember in three months, then all the more reason they should stick to their original statement. They could make all the "fans" think twice about their stupid actions of trying to get them banned by bringing up some real discussion on freedom of speech. But no, they take it back and give the public lies instead. So comforting.

But hey as long as they will make more money now it's ok. Right?

womanfish said:
They could make all the "fans" think twice about their stupid actions of trying to get them banned by bringing up some real discussion on freedom of speech.

Or maybe their fans made them think twice about their "stupid actions". "Banning" from commercial radio stations is a form of freedom of speech. If Dixie Chicks music means better ratings three months from now, radio stations will play them.

Anyways, celebrity is all about image, not just talent.

It is not a "ban," remember, unless *the government* were to come along and say that stations couldn't play Dixie Chicks songs. If a vast majority of listeners wants to protest their statements by "un-requesting" their songs, well, then so be it.

They might not be "un-requesting" for the right reason (I'm inclined to think this is mostly a sheep move), but nevertheless one cannot say that the Dixies' right to free speech has been infringed upon. They were free to make the comment. No one stopped them and no one made them take it back. They have faced no legal repercussions. But it is the nature of celebrity that such comments may win--or lose--large parts of their fan base for them. And it's the nature of far too many American people to pull sheep moves like this.

ent_dixie_nude.jpg

I don't want to abuse the picture posting privilege,

But, they will be on national TV tonight explaining it all.

Their CD is no. 1 on country charts again :up:

This picture has been modified, the singer is, shall we say more substantial than portrayed.

On the show they said they'd gotten death threats. This is, shall we say, excessive. There's no excuse for this. If you don't like their politics, fine. Threatening to shoot them or whatever is something else. This stinks. :madspit: :mad: :censored: :censored: :scream: :scream:

nbcrusader said:

Anyways, celebrity is all about image, not just talent.

I agree. This seems to be about a small but vocal number of people, since their album is #1 on the charts again. Probably most of their fans don't care about their politics or politics, period. Look at the number of Americans who don't even vote in elections.

verte76 said:
On the show they said they'd gotten death threats. This is, shall we say, excessive. There's no excuse for this. If you don't like their politics, fine. Threatening to shoot them or whatever is something else. This stinks. :madspit: :mad: :censored: :censored: :scream: :scream:

Extremists are always dangerous.

verte76 said:

Exactly.

Those people who sent death threats...yeah, they need to get lives. Fast.

Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
Extremists are always dangerous.

Indeed they are.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

Exactly.

Those people who sent death threats...yeah, they need to get lives. Fast.

I agree. They need to be sued, accused, and go into prison. A death threat is not an easy funny thing.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

I agree. They need to be sued, accused, and go into prison. A death threat is not an easy funny thing.

I agree. Presumably they called the cops. I hope they arrest these :censored:'s and put them in jail.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom