(Didn't Know I Was) UnAmerican

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol yeah it is kinda cheesy but it kinda sums up how I feel. I am against this war....all for the soliders...just hate the war. And I am made to feel like I am unpatriotic, that I'm supporting terrorism and so forth. Nothing could be further from the truth. I love my country and I'm proud to be part of it.

Love Town, you just have to learn never to listen to assholes!

On the "unAmerican" front...on another forum I post on one guy got so pissed off at another poster he called him "unAmerican." To which the other guy replied..."well, yeah, I'm Scottish." :D Made me laugh.

Now just because wankers throw words around does not mean that people cannot be un-American or anti-American. The sheer loathing towards America and Israel exhibited by some of my (former) friends was shocking, very much along the line that GWB desired to exterminate all Muslims in the vein of a 20th Century leader and that the US brought terrorism upon itself by supporting the racist Israeli state. This type of hatred is not a rational reflex, it is a mental disease.

I do not think that somebody like LoveTown even comes close to the mark of being anti-American, but it is out there and it is no different than anti-Semitism in nature.

well I'm happy that at least the people here see me as more than a peace loving tree hugging hippy that hates my own country! lol.

All wars sadden me, it's just sad that it has to come down to people blowing each other away to resolve a conflict.

Like I said, I love being an American, I just wish we had a better reputation in this big scary world.

And yeah A_Wanderer I think your correlation is right. Hating all Americans because of the actions of a few IS the same as hating other large groups of people just because you dislike a few. Thanks for making that point.

But I didn't say that you werent a one dimensional hippy :wink: it isn't hatred for Americans because of the actions of a few it is simple hatred of America and everything it stands for, the thinking is basically "America stands for liberty therefore then we will ally with Dictators" - they loath it, a country so undeserving being top of the pile and the strongest pillar of the anglosphere. And at its heart it is generally without cause, again no different from anti-Semitism.

So Keep Reaching For That Way Out Solution..... Dude :lol:

I have message board quotes of mine going back to 1998 on a whole manner of issues - they are very wince inducing so I am not going to pretend that I am not guilty on that front.

Basic Tennents of a Left Wing Teenager who only decided to read one half of the story.
1: The Cold War was unnecissary.
2: Liberty and freedom is an illusion.
3: The UN stands up for human rights.
4: Israel stole all the Palestinians land.
5: It is usually better for America not to get involved.

:ohmy:

I think that my opinions on such things has changed a lot, significantly after September 11 my niche of friends hit the hard left and became apologetic for the freaking Taliban, and I decided to move on and reevaluate my position.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Last edited:
hahaha well, guess you put me in MY place didnt ya?

As far as views changing, yeah I think that MOST people do that as they grow up and start to see the world and humanity through older and wiser eyes.

Seeing one side of the story, no matter what side you take is always a bad thing if you ask me. There are always complicating factors, reasons why the other side believes what they believe. The challenge in this life is to start to accept people even if they believe totally different things than you. For instance I know you and I have different beliefs on some things A_Wanderer but I DO respect everything you say here because you take the time to explain why you feel the way you feel and in no way do you just come out and try to drown what other people are saying.

That being said, stick to what you think is right, no matter what side of center it falls on. In the end I believe that we are judged on whether or not we did what we really thought was right in our hearts, what we thought would change the world for the better, without being malicious about it. I think you are doing that and I HOPE I am doing that. :)

A_Wanderer said:

Basic Tennents of a Left Wing Teenager who only decided to read one half of the story.
1: The Cold War was unnecissary.
2: Liberty and freedom is an illusion.
3: The UN stands up for human rights.
4: Israel stole all the Palestinians land.
5: It is usually better for America not to get involved.

Thank you for posting this. It helps me understand some of the posts on this board.

Those left wing teenager bits are taken straight from my own posts (as I said before wince inducing) so I will not tell people that they are total morons for believing that stuff because I would be calling myself a moron. Yeah respect all around is great fun.

I reckon that there are many statements that we have all made at some point that we will just have to laugh at, AussieU2fan will probably go LHAO it in 5 years looking back at his opinions on gayness :laugh: its a shoutout but in a good way man, hell I defend your right to hold an opinion if only because it teaches you to set a moral compass up on your own.

Lovetown I have come up with it, I have found the "un-American" right here (Klaus this one is a joke - actually knocking the yanks).

Yeah, cheesy song. But I hate it when they make blanket statements about us liberals. I consider myself patriotic. I love my country, and believe in it. That's why I vote. When they call us "tree-huggers".......come on, I have never hugged a tree in my life. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom