Did they find Noah's Ark in Iran?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
ark12.jpg

http://www.worldviewweekend.com/secure/cwnetwork/article.php?&ArticleID=813

dbs
:hmm:

I am a Christian, but God never asks us to abandon reason and logic. I find this type of archaeology troubling. Many Christians become guilty of the same sort of pseudo science they accuse anthropologist of when they take a bone fragment and reconstruct an entire skeleton. Only here, essentially, we have a few wood chips and they call it Noah’s Ark.

There are better ways to prove the truth of the gospel; and none are better than a transformed heart.

Last edited:
I thought it was in Turkey somewhere. . .:)

Tend to agree with Aeon here. God himself can't be proven scientifically so I don't know why believers get so hung up on having to have scientific validation.

Seriously, how many thousands of years will it take before people get the hint that the Noah's Ark story (and many, many in the Old Testament) is a narrative, a myth. I think the comparisons between the Great Flood in the Epic of Gilgamesh and our Christian flood narrative are far more useful and interesting than these hopeless archeological pursuits.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Seriously, how many thousands of years will it take before people get the hint that the Noah's Ark story (and many, many in the Old Testament) is a narrative, a myth. I think the comparisons between the Great Flood in the Epic of Gilgamesh and our Christian flood narrative are far more useful and interesting than these hopeless archeological pursuits.

I agree with you. But I'm a heathen.:wink:

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:

what's it like to be made out of dirt?

:lol:

Are you referring to the "dust" verse? The way that word for "dust" is used actually means "that which is transient", not physical dust/dirt. It explains how humans are part of nature and fit into the cycle of nature (yes, according to the Christian creation narrative, evolution (to some extent) exists).

I heard that the reason they believe it to be the ark is that they found a plank of wood with the words: 'Noah and Na'amah 4 eva' carved in it.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

That's too bad because it's absolutely impossible.

How can it be impossible to believe that things of that nature could have happened. I mean if you believe in God, then anything is possible right???

Justin24 said:
How can it be impossible to believe that things of that nature could have happened. I mean if you believe in God, then anything is possible right???

Read the Epic of Gilgamesh. The flood narrative in the Bible is the same story, except whoever wrote the Bible's version added a moral twist and decided to specify the dimensions of the ark. There may have been a period of rain and some flooding, but it probably didn't happen, but that doesn't matter because it's not the point of the narrative.

Well yes the bible has these disney type stories. I dont believe the entire world was flooded just a region of the world.

Justin24 said:
Well yes the bible has these disney type stories. I dont believe the entire world was flooded just a region of the world.

Well then why do you question me? You don't think it's possible either.

Well Jesus taught the Flood and Noah were real:

Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the Ark. Then the Flood came and destroyed them all.’ (Luke 17:26–27)

diamond said:

Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the Ark. Then the Flood came and destroyed them all.’ (Luke 17:26–27)

Jesus was very fond of parables.

diamond said:

How does that confirm that it was real? It only confirms that Jesus supported the allegorical lesson learned through the flood narrative.

How does that confirm that it was real? It only confirms that Jesus supported the allegorical lesson learned through the flood narrative.

That's your interpertation.

dbs

Read the Epic of Gilgamesh. The flood narrative in the Bible is the same story, except whoever wrote the Bible's version added a moral twist and decided to specify the dimensions of the ark. There may have been a period of rain and some flooding, but it probably didn't happen, but that doesn't matter because it's not the point of the narrative.

Genesis is older
It makes more sense that Genesis was the original and the pagan myths arose as distortions of that original account. While Moses lived long after the event, he probably acted as the editor of far older sources.9 For example, Genesis 10:19 gives matter-of-fact directions, ‘as you go toward Sodom and Gomorrah and Admah and Zeboiim’. These were the cities of the plain God destroyed for their extreme wickedness 500 years before Moses. Yet Genesis gives directions at a time when they were well-known landmarks, not buried under the Dead Sea.

It is common to make legends out of historical events, but not history from legends. The liberals also commonly assert that monotheism is a late evolutionary religious development. The Bible teaches that mankind was originally monotheistic. Archaeological evidence suggests the same, indicating that only later did mankind degenerate into idolatrous pantheism.10

For instance, in Genesis, God’s judgment is just, he is patient with mankind for 120 years (Genesis 6:3), shows mercy to Noah, and is sovereign. Conversely, the gods in the Gilgamesh Epic are capricious and squabbling, cower at the Flood and are famished without humans to feed them sacrifices. That is, the human writers of the Gilgamesh Epic rewrote the true account, and made their gods in their own image.

The whole Gilgamesh-derivation theory is based on the discredited Documentary Hypothesis.9 This assumes that the Pentateuch was compiled by priests during the Babylonian Exile in the 6th century BC. But the internal evidence shows no sign of this, and every sign of being written for people who had just come out of Egypt. The Eurocentric inventors of the Documentary Hypothesis, such as Julius Wellhausen, thought that writing hadn’t been invented by Moses’ time. But many archaeological discoveries of ancient writing show that this is ludicrous.

Interesting, but I still believe the opposite. Nice copy-and-paste. I'm not about to challege everything I've been taught based on a few .com articles.

Last edited:
What I find particularly interesting is that this "explorer's" team doesn't appear to have included any archaeologists...just lawyers, businessmen, and "ministry leaders".

The little evidence presented in this article isn't enough to make any kind of a conclusion one way or the other from a scientific standpoint...and that's coming from someone who has studied archaeology in the Near/Middle East for many years. That may be the fault of the article's author, but in my experience, it often has as much to do with the lack of any real evidence to begin with. If this really is Noah's Ark, there will be other supporting evidence from an archaeological standpoint.

Back
Top Bottom