Diceliving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
Has anyone heard of this? I just read The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart and was curious if people actually took the idea to heart, and found a few websites of people who actually live like this. The BBC did a program on it, apparently, but I don't think it was aired in the US.

Anyway, the basic idea of it is that a person writes down a list of options and then rolls a pair of dice to decide which action to take/role to play. Not just when they're indecisive, but for everything. I was just a little shocked by the idea of people doing this. :shrug:

i used a fine american quarter to decicde if i should skip class on thursday.

it ruled first in favor of going, but then i opted for best 2 out of 3.

twoface1.gif

Ya talking to me?

meegannie said:
Anyway, the basic idea of it is that a person writes down a list of options and then rolls a pair of dice to decide which action to take/role to play. Not just when they're indecisive, but for everything. I was just a little shocked by the idea of people doing this. :shrug:
but how do they decide their options to begin with? by rolling the dice? uh!!!! :yikes:

It's just random options. Things you don't want to do are also included, since the goal is to act out of character, or rather, to not have a stable personality at all.

One of my friends took a Magic 8 Ball with him to take a test once.

He started taking the test, then pulled the Magic 8 Ball out and started looking back and forth between it and his test. He said people were laughing pretty hard once they'd notice it. I thought that was cool.

That same Magic 8 Ball used to always say I was gay anytime anyone would ask. Damn that Magic 8 Ball.

daisybean said:
Very interesting concept....however I don't think it's something I would consider doing. I wouldn't want my life to be dependant on something so random.

It kind of poses the question, if all events happen for a reason etc, then this wouldn't matter would it? The dice will roll according to how it is supposed to go anyway.
I'm not sure if I entirely believe that everything is mapped out, and I'm not saying thats what you meant either daisy btw. So that just leaves the point that these types of people are doing things in their lives without choice and statistically will inevitably do things they dont want to necessarily but do it anyway, 'cos the dice said to'.
I dont think I've ever tossed a coin or rolled a dice so to speak, regarding any decisions I've had to make...Very curious about this diceman bizo indeed..

I think its a pretty interesting concept. Life aleatorics.

I wouldn?t do that though, for the same reasons like daisybean.

Ummmm....I use an Eightball regularly to communicate with my fantasy baseball partner Bob. Bob died three years ago. So far using the eightball since Bob has died, we have won the trophy two times. Our team name is now the Eightballs.

I am probably sharing too much so I will stop now.

Back
Top Bottom