Devaluation? Deflation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FizzingWhizzbees

ONE love, blood, life
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1825000/1825593.stm

A remark by US President George W Bush about "devaluation" in Japan has caused confusion in the currency markets.
The yen fell as some traders interpreted the comment as meaning the US favoured a devaluation of the Japanese currency.

Bush aides hastened to clear up the confusion, saying the president - in Japan as part of an Asian tour - had "misspoken".

They said his comment had meant to be about Japan's problem of "deflation" - steadily falling prices, which depress spending and investment - not devaluation.

Oops? He's probably suffering from jet lag, right? ;-)

I'm still waiting for his learning disability to be diagnosed.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by melon:
I'm still waiting for his learning disability to be diagnosed.

Melon

umm, careful with the jokes about learning disabilities. I have good friends and a sibling that struggle with them, and it's not much of a laughing matter or something to jeer about.
frown.gif

Well, I must admit that the way it was written it was done in a joking manner. For that, I apologize.

However, I still think he has one in all seriousness. Either that, or he really isn't that bright. I guess the GMAT didn't have a verbal section.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Yeah, I'm sorry if I sound sensitive, but after years of watching my brilliant brother struggle through school fighting this disability, I guess it just pushes my buttons to have it treated as some sort of thing that one should be ashamed of or that makes one "stupid". Kind of like making fun of someone who has a physical disability isn't really cricket, y'know? Not to mention, I'm not convinced that public speaking skills are the most crucial qualities in determining a public figure's ability to do their job. Doubtless, it affects public confidence, but somehow it makes me nervous when the measure of a man is how good he looks/sounds on TV. Anyways, random thoughts here...do carry on.
smile.gif

Well, I must admit that the way it was written it was done in a joking manner. For that, I apologize.

However, I still think he has one in all seriousness. Either that, or he really isn't that bright. I guess the GMAT didn't have a verbal section.

Melon

The GMAT does have a verbal section. I doubt his score had anything to do with his admission to HBS. If anyone has any concrete stats on what he scored, I'd love to hear. $100 bet says I beat him.

CK

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Doubtless, it affects public confidence, but somehow it makes me nervous when the measure of a man is how good he looks/sounds on TV.
isn't that the main job of any president though?

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Salome:
isn't that the main job of any president though?

Is it? In that case, I say we just get some really cute actors from Hollywood to run. I'd vote for Russell Crowe! (oh wait, he's Aussie...damn
tongue.gif
)

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
In that case, I say we just get some really cute actors from Hollywood to run.

Well, we did have Ronald Reagan, but he was old and a bad actor. I believe his most famous film was with a monkey.

Melon

------------------

Well, we did have Ronald Reagan, but he was old and a bad actor. I believe his most famous film was with a monkey.

Melon

I said "really cute" actors. I don't think he would qualify.
wink.gif

Unfortunately all the actors I can think of tend to be from foreign countries, dammit! Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, Hugh Jackman...

Oh wait, I'd vote for Morgan Freeman! He's a good actor that can pull of that reassuring Presidential thing quite well. But is this country ready to vote in an African-American for President? hmmm...my optimistic side wants to say yes, but somehow I doubt it.

Melon

CK is eagerly waiting for the Republican response.

CK

They probably wouldn't like this article either:
http://money.excite.com/ht/nw/bus/20020218/hle_bus-t22365.html

Melon

------------------

Honestly, at this point, I think our best bet for an African-American president is Colin Powell. Even then, I don't know.

Melon

------------------

Honestly, at this point, I think our best bet for an African-American president is Colin Powell. Even then, I don't know.

Melon

yep, I agree with you. On both counts. He's probably the best bet. And even then, I don't know.

Bush confused "devaluation" and "deflation" - to be sure, a potentially costly confusion - but I still think there have been far more egregious lapses in the use of language.

Unlike his predecessor, it seems clear that Bush knows the meaning of such difficult words as "is" and "alone".

"Imports" seems a bit more problematic. Apparently "More and more of our imports are coming from overseas."

(Note: not to be taken seriously, it's a bit of fun, that's all)

Is he black? He doesn't really look black to me.

Good heavens, I said the b-word. That's frowned upon by Americans, isn't it? Sorry about that.

Originally posted by Klodomir:

Yes, he is African-American. From da Bronx I believe.

CK

Originally posted by TheU2:
Yes, he is African-American. From da Bronx I believe.

CK

Hmm...I thought he was born in Jamaica. I'm sure one of his fan club members here will clear it up.

Melon

------------------

Hmm...I thought he was born in Jamaica. I'm sure one of his fan club members here will clear it up.

Melon

He was born on April 5, 1937 on the Bronx to Jamaican born parents.

CK

Originally posted by Klodomir:

That's in his favor, trust me. Sad but true. It's an "inter" and "intra" racial phenomenon. Lighter skinned folks are favored over darker skinned ones.

And by the way, it's acceptable to use the term "black." I was admonished by a couple of my black friends for using the term "African American," which they didn't care for at all. They consider themselves black Americans. (Though I'm sure there are those who prefer the term African American).

Originally posted by pub crawler:
That's in his favor, trust me. Sad but true. It's an "inter" and "intra" racial phenomenon. Lighter skinned folks are favored over darker skinned ones.

And by the way, it's acceptable to use the term "black." I was admonished by a couple of my black friends for using the term "African American," which they didn't care for at all. They consider themselves black Americans. (Though I'm sure there are those who prefer the term African American).

yeah pub...that is sadly the case.

And I've had the same conversation with my black friends. Some prefer "black" others "African-American". But all of them seem to agree that neither term is offensive. I still remember some of my first run-ins with the unique lingo and culture...one of my black friends introduced a bunch of guys to me as her "brothers" and I politely said something like "wow, you have a big family". To which she howled with laughter and told me that they weren't her siblings but her friends. lol.
biggrin.gif
Not having grown up in this country, it was quite amusing for me to watch myself stumble around learning basic stuff like that.
tongue.gif

-sula

Originally posted by TheU2:
CK is eagerly waiting for the Republican response.

CK

1. Yes, Ronald Reagan was a relatively old president.

2. Yes, he was a relatively bad actor (in my opinion)...but not any worse than Bill Paxton.
biggrin.gif

3. Yes, Bedtime for Bonzo is his most famous film.

-Spiral Suitcase, Republican.

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
4. Since it was missed the first time...

...at least our presidents know the meaning of the words "is" and "alone."

Your words were duly noted. I just didn't want to get accused of "harrassment" again.
rolleyes.gif

And, with that, I'm leaving this be.

Melon

------------------

Back
Top Bottom