Derivation of Morality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
80sU2isBest said:

I say that we all sin; he said that Christians "constantly drop the ball to extreme detriment of the message". There is a world of difference. I never said that anyone "constantly sins".

:eyebrow: That's not what I was responding to...

BonoVoxSupastar said:
AGAIN:

Who do you know who actually of sound mind chooses amorality?

I don't mind being called wrong. Maybe I am. But that's not enough, I want you, YOU, BVS, to tell me WHY I'm wrong.

I want to challenge you, push you, to express yourself in more profound ways than 1 line asides.

Take your time, ponder the question, do some research. But I'd like YOUR definition of amorality, how it differs from immorality if at all, and how you believe morality manifests itself in the affairs of mankind. What is the origin of morality?

Not a thesis but at least 20 lines.

And paste at least 2 quotes from different philosophers or authors that support or expound upon your views.

And I will respond in kind. C'mon, you can do it.

INDY500 said:

I don't mind being called wrong. Maybe I am. But that's not enough, I want you, YOU, BVS, to tell me WHY I'm wrong.

I want to challenge you, push you, to express yourself in more profound ways than 1 line asides.

Take your time, ponder the question, do some research. But I'd like YOUR definition of amorality, how it differs from immorality if at all, and how you believe morality manifests itself in the affairs of mankind. What is the origin of morality?

Not a thesis but at least 20 lines.

And paste at least 2 quotes from different philosophers or authors that support or expound upon your views.

And I will respond in kind. C'mon, you can do it.

One of the first rules of debate is that when you make a statement, you have to be able to back it up. The burden of proof is with you. I guess you've forgotten this, and you've resorted to condescending tones and smart ass posts. It's a shame, for as much as I disagreed with you I use to respect your posts.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

One of the first rules of debate is that when you make a statement, you have to be able to back it up. The burden of proof is with you. I guess you've forgotten this, and you've resorted to condescending tones and smart ass posts. It's a shame, for as much as I disagreed with you I use to respect your posts.

So make a statement.

I'm not being being a smartass, I want to hear what YOU think.

INDY500 said:

So make a statement.

I'm not being being a smartass, I want to hear what YOU think.

INDY, you made a statement. I asked you for an example, for I've never seen anyone actually choose amorality. So I'm not sure what kind of statement you want me to make.:huh:

I can say, I think you're wrong, but I can't really elaborate for I have no idea where you are coming from because you haven't given me any example.

So once again we're back to the rules of debate and discussion.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

INDY, you made a statement. I asked you for an example, for I've never seen anyone actually choose amorality. So I'm not sure what kind of statement you want me to make.:huh:

I can say, I think you're wrong, but I can't really elaborate for I have no idea where you are coming from because you haven't given me any example.

So once again we're back to the rules of debate and discussion.

Start with this.

Why do I have to prove my premise, either you disprove it or it stands. Should be easy, right?:wink:

INDY500 said:

Start with this.

Why do I have to prove my premise, either you disprove it or it stands. Should be easy, right?:wink:

If you can't back it up, then say so. But right now you are approaching this like a child.

I'm done. As Diemen pointed out to you, your "logic" makes no sense.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

If you can't back it up, then say so. But right now you are approaching this like a child.

I'm done. As Diemen pointed out to you, your "logic" makes no sense.

Nonsensical questions are nothing but that, nonsense.

BVS, if you disagree with me fine. Please tell me WHY, because I can't answer your question unless I know how YOU define amoral.

I honestly don't know why you are having such a hard time with this.

"I can say, I think you're wrong, but I can't really elaborate for I have no idea where you are coming from because you haven't given me any example."

The burden is on you. I'm not going to go round and round anymore, if you can't back it up then you can't back it up. I'm not going to play this childish game, I'm out.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I honestly don't know why you are having such a hard time with this.

"I can say, I think you're wrong, but I can't really elaborate for I have no idea where you are coming from because you haven't given me any example."

The burden is on you. I'm not going to go round and round anymore, if you can't back it up then you can't back it up. I'm not going to play this childish game, I'm out.

What's the point of discussing anything if not to elucidate other opinions and improve your arguments? Debate makes us think and thinking is good---A__Wanderer pg 1 of this thread

What's the point of discussing anything if not to elucidate other opinions and improve your arguments? Debate makes us think and thinking is good---A__Wanderer pg 1 of this thread

This is true. A_Wanderer makes a very good point. But the key word in his statement is "debate", and like I said before, the first rule of debate is when one makes a statement, the burden of proof is on them to support that statement. You made a statement and I asked a question to clarify that statement.

SO RIGHT NOW THERE IS NO DEBATE. It's just you playing games. You keep trying to turn this around as if I don't want to think, but it's you who's not thinking. You aren't thinking when you make a statement and then refuse to back it up.

Right now you are just trolling, when you want to debate please come back, until then, you are wasting people's time.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

This is true. A_Wanderer makes a very good point. But the key word in his statement is "debate", and like I said before, the first rule of debate is when one makes a statement, the burden of proof is on them to support that statement. You made a statement and I asked a question to clarify that statement.

SO RIGHT NOW THERE IS NO DEBATE. It's just you playing games. You keep trying to turn this around as if I don't want to think, but it's you who's not thinking. You aren't thinking when you make a statement and then refuse to back it up.

Right now you are just trolling, when you want to debate please come back, until then, you are wasting people's time.

I tried to engage you. Consider the matter dropped.

INDY500 said:

I tried to engage you. Consider the matter dropped.

Why do I have to prove my premise, either you disprove it or it stands.

Diemen and I have exhaustedly pointed out to you how you in fact did not engage me. I honestly hope this isn't how you conduct yourself in "real life", if so then you probably have little credibilty when discussing such matters.

:censored:

indra said:

You proposed to BVS? I thought you were against that type of thing.... :ohmy:

:wink:

If I've learned anything this year, it would be this; when confronted with revelations of scandalous behavior -- blame abuse as an alterboy and pledge to voluntarily enter a clinic for alcohol-abuse.:drunk:

Back
Top Bottom