Demonic Possession, is it real or group hysteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is Demonic Possession real or group hysteria?

• Absolutely real

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Probably real

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • It's real, but you have to invite evil influences into your life

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • No, not real; anyone claiming this is a mental case.

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • There is a good force and a bad force in our universe-a person has to decide which force they choose

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • diamondbruno#9, do you have your own church and gospel?

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • diamond you always make the best threads; cutting edge, pushing the intellectual and religious envel

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think Jon Edwards and other mediums do communicate with disembodied spirits, but those spirits aren't necessarily the people they claim to be.

That's why mediums are only half accurate most times, maybe 65% at when they're at their very best.

dbs

deep said:
do any of you discount

John Edward of Crossing Over?

1605820.jpg

certainly you will believe your own eyes and ears?

plus the thousands of people that will
swear he put them in touch with a departed loved one :yes:

:lol: I once read an account of how the show worked from a production assistant. It was...interesting, to say the least.

And btw, I've also had a floating dream. I was floating in the hallway outside my bedroom door. If it were an OBE, I'd be sorely disappointed that it didn't take me someone more interesting than my own hallway.

MY DEAR WORMWOOD,

I wonder you should ask me whether it is essential to keep the patient in ignorance of your own existence. That question, at least for the present phase of the struggle, has been answered for us by the High Command. Our policy, for the moment, is to conceal ourselves.
I do not think you will have much difficulty in keeping the patient in the dark. The fact that "devils" are predominantly comic figures in the modern imagination will help you. If any faint suspicion of your existence begins to arise in his mind, suggest to him a picture of something in red tights, and persuade him that since he cannot believe in that (it is an old textbook method of confusing them) he therefore cannot believe in you.

Your affectionate uncle

Screwtape

diamond said:

wow, that's interesting.

wouldn't you be mad if someone discounted your experience?

dbs

How could someone discount my experience?

If someone doesn't believe me that I've had those dreams, so be it...

Irvine511 said:

Near-death and out-of-body experiences

In a study of 14 lucid dreamers performed in 1991, people who perform wake initiated lucid dreams (WILD) reported experiences consistent with aspects of out-of-body experiences such as floating above their beds and the feeling of leaving their bodies.[13] Due to the phenomenological overlap between lucid dreams, near death experiences, and out of body experiences researchers say they believe a protocol could be developed to induce a lucid dream similar to a near death experience in the laboratory. [14]

all these people that go to
HELL
are just lucid dreaming what their fucked-up belief systems have programed into their minds

that is why I never go to HELL

and why so many so-called religious people do.

See everyone has "floating dreams' "Gliding dreams" or "flying dreams".

This isn't what happen to the realtor.

dbs

Re: Re: Re: Re: if it is a movie, it must be true!

diamond said:

how do you know?

maybe he charges for the cost of making the material and donates the proceeds to charity.

we really don't know.

and unless you're his accountant, we really will never know.

and it doesn't discredit his story.

dbs

Yes, I'm sure he's only covering his costs, and doing it out of sheer altruism.

diamond said:

if you can't see the difference there's really no purpose.

dbs

I'm being honest. There was a "possession" that just happen within this decade that was later discovered by real doctors to autism.

I could care less is anyone discounts or believes that I have lucid dreams about flying

I am not living my whole life and trying to pass laws based on my dreams.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I'm being honest. There was a "possession" that just happen within this decade that was later discovered by real doctors to autism.

of course i agree with that too.

there have been misdiagnosises i'm sure.

but when someone levitates off the ground and starts speaking in languages unknown to them and items start flying around the room, well this isn't a bad case of autism.

dbs

deep said:

I have those, too.

One recurring one is where I can fly or glide, perhaps 6- 10 feet off the ground.

When I can, I take those along as far as I can until the conscious wins out over the subconscious

Me too. "Flying"(actually it's more like swimming through air), walking through walls, and sex are usually the activities that take place in my lucid dreams...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: if it is a movie, it must be true!

VintagePunk said:

Yes, I'm sure he's only covering his costs, and doing it out of sheer altruism.

well until you/we can prove otherwise..:shrugs:

dbs

Last edited:
VintagePunk said:

And btw, I've also had a floating dream. I was floating in the hallway outside my bedroom door. If it were an OBE, I'd be sorely disappointed that it didn't take me someone more interesting than my own hallway.

if you want to go to HELL
you have to program the concept into your mind

you are almost there :wink:

you went to HALL

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Me too. "Flying"(actually it's more like swimming through air), walking through walls, and sex are usually the activities that take place in my lucid dreams...

ah

God does speak to you, too

diamond said:
That's why mediums are only half accurate most times, maybe 65% at when they're at their very best.
dbs

65%

wow, I kind of admire your desire
to believe

now if we could only transfer your open mindedness to progressive politics

diamond said:

of course i agree with that too.

there have been misdiagnosises i'm sure.

but when someone levitates off the ground and starts speaking in languages unknown to them and items start flying around the room, well this isn't a bad case of autism.

dbs

Like I said people see what they want to see. Someone throwing themselves off of a bed due to a tick or seizure, some will grab on to and see that as levitation. It's like if you had 10 people witness a crime, different people will focus on different things due to what's important to them. One woman may have noticed his shoes, one his face, one his jacket, etc etc. But if you have 10 neo-nazis witness a crime they'll notice he's black(even if we wasn't, there's an actually experiment similar to this). So people's biases will often convert what they saw into what they wanted to see.

The case of the autistic kid, he started mumbling in several different languages because he had memorized what he heard from TV.

VintagePunk said:
Okay, how can I sign up for this?

:wink:

Actually, I think that's happened to me a few times too, but certainly not often enough...

pray more?

pay more? (tithe)

God comes to us each in our own way
based on our needs :shrug:

diamond said:
I think Jon Edwards and other mediums do communicate with disembodied spirits, but those spirits aren't necessarily the people they claim to be.

Jon Edwards has been discredited and shown to be a fraud by quite a few.

diamond said:

ha.

gay ppl now arbitrarily assigning people to different psychological boxes.

i love you little irvine.
:hug:

dbs

what does my being gay have to do with it?

i'd still be unable to be duped by the P.T. Barnums of contemporary religion if i were straight.

and i'd actually be rather offended at your comment if i didn't think you were hot. for an old straight guy.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

The case of the autistic kid, he started mumbling in several different languages because he had memorized what he heard from TV.

then there's an explanation for it.

but what about the tempature changing in the room and stuff flying around?

dimissing everything shows close-mindedness.

dbs

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Like I said people see what they want to see. Someone throwing themselves off of a bed due to a tick or seizure, some will grab on to and see that as levitation. It's like if you had 10 people witness a crime, different people will focus on different things due to what's important to them. One woman may have noticed his shoes, one his face, one his jacket, etc etc. But if you have 10 neo-nazis witness a crime they'll notice he's black(even if we wasn't, there's an actually experiment similar to this). So people's biases will often convert what they saw into what they wanted to see.

Agreed. :up:

Often though, it's not necessarily as intentional as you've made it sound with "what they wanted to see." We each view things from our own unique frames of reference, and sometime, depending on whether or not there's motivation to intentionally mislead present, any errors or misinterpretations of events are unintentional.

Irvine511 said:

and i'd actually be rather offended at your comment if i didn't think you were hot. for an old straight guy.
that's why i did it, i knew i could get away wit it.

:sexywink:

VintagePunk said:

Often though, it's not necessarily as intentional as you've made it sound with "what they wanted to see."

Well it sounds like you guys are intentionally seeing what you want to see sort of reverse group hysteria..group denial..

VintagePunk said:

Often though, it's not necessarily as intentional as you've made it sound with "what they wanted to see." We each view things from our own unique frames of reference, and sometime, depending on whether or not there's motivation to intentionally mislead present, any errors or misinterpretations of events are unintentional.

You're right, I wasn't trying to be literal when I wrote that...

diamond said:

Well it sounds like you guys are intentionally seeing what you want to see sort of reverse group hysteria..group denial..

You know that's not what I meant. :madwife:

I've taken an honour's seminar about the mechanisms of memory and perception, and it was fascinating. :drool:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You're right, I wasn't trying to be literal when I wrote that...

I figured that. I just wanted to clarify for, um...certain other people. ;)

It's very likely that at least some of these people genuinely believe that they're seeing demonic possession. But the bottom line is, they're not.

Back
Top Bottom