"Democrats will keep losing"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you've got touch screen computers with no paper trail made by a company whose CEO is a extremist Christian reconstructionist whose goal is to reinstitute OT Mosaic Law (yes, stoning people), then you'll have to pardon me for being a bit skeptical that elections are even fair anymore.

Melon

I've never liked the Electoral College, not even when my candidates were winning. It's ridiculous that someone loses the popular vote and wins the presidency.

Earnie Shavers said:
Note to Democrats: It's simple. Grow some fucking balls.

The Disciple said:
Who cares...

I presume you guys support the GOP.

And don’t care that the election process is worse than many “Banana Republics.”

the Senate has one hundred senators

Republicans received LESS votes in the elections of those 100 senators.

Yet they have 55 seats.

Have you paused and analyzed the process for fairness?

Or do you only see things through biased partisan lenses?

melon said:
When you've got touch screen computers with no paper trail made by a company whose CEO is a extremist Christian reconstructionist whose goal is to reinstitute OT Mosaic Law (yes, stoning people), then you'll have to pardon me for being a bit skeptical that elections are even fair anymore.

Melon

How did we get yet another indictment of Christianity in this thread?

I don't think the solution is to get rid of the Electoral College. I think the solution is for Democrats to convince voters in the red states that the GOP agenda isn't as much in their best interests as they think it is and that the Democrats in turn have something to offer them.

nbcrusader said:

extremist Christian reconstructionist whose goal is to reinstitute OT Mosaic Law (yes, stoning people)

Do you consider this "Christianity'?

Earnie Shavers said:
Note to Democrats: It's simple. Grow some fucking balls.

Amen. If the Democrats actually started talking passionatly about where they REALLY are at this point, which is center-left on most issues, then they are going to start winning some election.

The reason why Bush was re-elected and still has a popularity level around 50% after his and his admin's incompetincies is two-fold. First, deception by the rightwing echo-chamber and second, gross incompetince on the Democrats part, in my opinion these seem to be closely related.

If the Democrats start passionatly pointing out flaws in the Bush admin policy and offering viable alternatives... then they may start making progress.

Some Muslim leaders are criticized for failing to denounce the actions of the extremists that claim to be within their religion.

I have seen very few Christian leaders publicly denounce the extremists that claim to be within the Christian religion.

Is this a failure of the mainstream media across the board, a failure of my prejudiced attention, or a failure of religious leaders?

nbcrusader said:

I find it hysterical that hard core fans of a band whose defining characteristic is their faith somehow manage to turn every thread into Christian-bashing.

timothius said:

Amen. If the Democrats actually started talking passionatly about where they REALLY are at this point, which is center-left on most issues, then they are going to start winning some election.

The reason why Bush was re-elected and still has a popularity level around 50% after his and his admin's incompetincies is two-fold. First, deception by the rightwing echo-chamber and second, gross incompetince on the Democrats part, in my opinion these seem to be closely related.

If the Democrats start passionatly pointing out flaws in the Bush admin policy and offering viable alternatives... then they may start making progress.

Amen again.

A down economy, an unpopular war, and the dems can't take it ?

They need to better define who they are and what they stand for. Like it or not, and I mostly don't, the GOP took strong stances, no doubt where they stood on almost anything. The dems were scared to mention G*D as if it was a 4-letter word, whereas their message is actually closer to Christ's than that of the GOP. I don't recall supply-side economics Jesus mentioning gay marriage and going ot war based on a web of lies and deceit, but somehow the dems allowed the GOP to turn those into "Christian" values.

jay canseco said:
Some Muslim leaders are criticized for failing to denounce the actions of the extremists that claim to be within their religion.

I have seen very few Christian leaders publicly denounce the extremists that claim to be within the Christian religion.

Is this a failure of the mainstream media across the board, a failure of my prejudiced attention, or a failure of religious leaders?

Many do. Not newsworthy.

Here's a good start

http://sojo.net/

nbcrusader said:
Media only reports what is said in the pulpits of America if it can get a quick reaction (usually negative) out of the public.

This doesn't answer the question. Another quik soundbite. Are you in newsertainment?

to Cardosino - I'm sure the band would bash the strict religious influence on politics. Isn't that what they wrote about for several years. They are religious yes but believe in seculartism.

Scarletwine said:

This doesn't answer the question. Another quik soundbite. Are you in newsertainment?

to Cardosino - I'm sure the band would bash the strict religious influence on politics. Isn't that what they wrote about for several years. They are religious yes but believe in seculartism.

No, I think they'd bash the politicians for allowing themselves to be influenced the wrong types.

cardosino said:

Amen again.

Anymore of this and we will be the Christian Right.

To just follow on what you said re: Democrats defining themselves. I think the Democrats have allowed themselves to be characterised by the right so much. I mean now 70% of Americans would consider "liberal" a dirty word. Thats just insane, people like Howard Dean are painted as extremists, when really the Xian Right & neo-cons are far more extreme. It's just nuts.

I know the Repubs at the moment are wanting too see everything as black and white. And normally when you are doing that - winning is made a lot easier, because things are simple, and IMO most of American society seems to respond to that (thats not a slant, thats taking the fact about 1/2 of America vote and 1/2 of that voted for Bush). But in this case I honestly thing with all the cards in your hand which you mentioned (shithouse war, bad economy, budget in dissaray, frayed foreign policy, not having Osama Bin Laden) they don't have the balls to call a spade a fucking shovel... and merely pass a long.

timothius said:

Anymore of this and we will be the Christian Right.

To just follow on what you said re: Democrats defining themselves. I think the Democrats have allowed themselves to be characterised by the right so much. I mean now 70% of Americans would consider "liberal" a dirty word. Thats just insane, people like Howard Dean are painted as extremists, when really the Xian Right & neo-cons are far more extreme. It's just nuts.

I know the Repubs at the moment are wanting too see everything as black and white. And normally when you are doing that - winning is made a lot easier, because things are simple, and IMO most of American society seems to respond to that (thats not a slant, thats taking the fact about 1/2 of America vote and 1/2 of that voted for Bush). But in this case I honestly thing with all the cards in your hand which you mentioned (shithouse war, bad economy, budget in dissaray, frayed foreign policy, not having Osama Bin Laden) they don't have the balls to call a spade a fucking shovel... and merely pass a long.

Well, the spade has to do a better job don't they ?

Spoken as a democrat BTW

nbcrusader said:
It all seems to fall under the same broad stroke of the brush by some.

If I wanted to paint the nation red, I would have used the word "fundamentalist," instead of "reconstructionist."

Melon

Back
Top Bottom