Democrats leave Bono disappointed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]Anti-poverty activist gets no promise of funds

By STEVE TETREAULT and MOLLY BALL
REVIEW-JOURNAL
Meetings in Washington last Thursday between rock star Bono and Democrats, including Senate leader Harry Reid of Nevada, yielded a nice photo-op but not much else, according to Bono.

Bono, the U2 frontman and anti-poverty activist, was on Capitol Hill to seek assurances that $1 billion in planned U.S. spending to fight AIDS and malaria in Africa would not be lost if Congress freezes agency budgets in the coming year.

Bono said he also was seeking to close a "commitment gap" between what President Bush has requested for anti-poverty efforts and what Congress has agreed to spend in the past.

After meetings with incoming Senate Majority Leader Reid, House Speaker-to-be Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Democrats on the House Appropriations Committee, Bono said he came away empty-handed.

"I'm alarmed we could not get a commitment from the Democratic leadership to prevent the loss of $1 billion in the continuing resolution," Bono said Thursday in a statement.

"I don't know who to blame. Democrats are blaming Republicans. Republicans are blaming Democrats. But the million people who were expecting (mosquito) bed nets don't know who to blame. They just know that a promise made by the United States to keep their families safe is in danger of being broken next year."

A day later, Bono reconsidered his tough comments and took a softer tone in a follow-up.

Bono said Friday that Reid "acknowledged a difficult situation" with the congressional budget "but he sincerely pledged his best efforts to improve the situation."

Bono said Reid "made my day taking me onto the Senate floor and leading me through the history of that great room."

Reid spokesman Jon Summers said he could not provide details of the sessions, but said the Nevadan "enjoyed his meeting with Bono. They come from different places, but both share a true commitment to solving these critical problems."

[/Q]

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2006/Dec-18-Mon-2006/news/11460940.html

Welcome to Washington politics Bono.

Hm, its certainly a tough situation. I feel like the leaders can't guarentee anything at this point, but that once they're in control they'll start to allocate funds to match those promises. While it's hard to think of a lot of other reasons to like Bush for me, I have to be impressed by his commitments to AIDS over the past year, and I think that with the new Congress none of that will change.

So who is really to blame out of the two parties?? As far as I knew the Republicans were willing to shell out the money. hmmm

Bono was here?? :hyper: But really, that's heartbreaking. I don't know who it is to blame, and I don't care. I'm tired of pointing the finger. I wanna see some action damn it.

Last edited:
Well didn't Bush approve 15 Billion dollars to help fight aids in africa?

Justin24 said:
So who is really to blame out of the two parties?? As far as I knew the Republicans were willing to shell out the money. hmmm

I don't think the Republicans making promises they can't keep make them any better than the Democrats who are too tight-wad-reluctant to make any promises at all.

capt.sge.apm23.141206234828.photo00.photo.default-512x354.jpg

Bono hanging out with yet another Mormon.

Justin24 said:
Well didn't Bush approve 15 Billion dollars to help fight aids in africa?

Not quite. Bush couldn't get his party behind it, not sure he actually tried. But doesn't it sound good when a President says he will?

I can't blame Reid for not commiting to giving the money. The democrats need to get in there, evaluate, and see where things stand before they do much. Before people bash the dems, lets give them a little time and see what they do - then the bashing can commence. :wink:

What is troubling to me is the fact that it was promised, and followed through up until now, unless my facts are wrong. I think there was an assumption that it would be met with the change in leadership in the congress.

I am wondering how much of this is a play to be fiscally conservative on the new leaderships adgenda.

randhail said:
I can't blame Reid for not commiting to giving the money. The democrats need to get in there, evaluate, and see where things stand before they do much. Before people bash the dems, lets give them a little time and see what they do - then the bashing can commence. :wink:

if you say so...

:tapsfoot:

This is a shame. I dont think Bono will trust our govt anymore. Why wont they listen to our VOICES!!!!

You can spend Billions on a war, but can't spend a Billion to help the poor and sick in Africa.

Justin24 said:

EXACTLY!!!
What the hell is up with that!!!
Generally it would be the Democrats who would more likely be the more generous of the two. What the hell is up with these new Democrats. Can't Bill Clinton just spank them all into submission. Obviously someone has to.

NOTE: In a perfect world you Americans would throw both the Republicans and the Democrats right out of office and go with Independent candidates - in other words "Throw the bums out!!!"

Last edited:
Hi all! :wave:

I am actually dealing with this in the public policy unit at the NGO where I work (which is one of the founders of the ONE campaign, and no, it's not DATA :wink: ). A lot of the mess has to do with the Continuing Resolution (CR) we're now under. My understanding is the it was passed by the outgoing GOP-controlled Senate, which depending on ones view leaves an irresponsible mess designed to embarrass the Dems or forces the tough decisions that need to be made. Whatever.

Either way the CR is up Feb 15 and so things will be as decided as they ever do by then.

In the meantime, check out one of my NGO's partners, GIVE YOUR CONGRESS CRITTERS A CALL! Let them know that you want poverty to be top on their list as they make hard choices, and that it IS an Election 2008 issue. :up:

Peace,
SD

Maybe if we didn't have to fund the damn Iraq war we'd be able to focus on AIDS funding and Africa.

But I'll echo the disappointment...the Dems better be up for funding Africa or their political base won't be happy with them.

Deleted because I thought better of it.

Last edited:
redhotswami said:
80s - Where have you been?

Just enjoying my Christmas season.

I pop in every once in a while to read what's going on, but usually don't post. I've been tempted to several times, and on this one, I succumbed to that temptation. I really shouldn't have, because I've been enjoying not arguing with people. In fact, I'm going to delete the post I made.

Have a great Christmas, everyone!

Sherry Darling said:
Hi all! :wave:

I am actually dealing with this in the public policy unit at the NGO where I work (which is one of the founders of the ONE campaign, and no, it's not DATA :wink: ). A lot of the mess has to do with the Continuing Resolution (CR) we're now under. My understanding is the it was passed by the outgoing GOP-controlled Senate, which depending on ones view leaves an irresponsible mess designed to embarrass the Dems or forces the tough decisions that need to be made. Whatever.
If one's view is that the CR is an irresponsible mess designed to embarrass the Dems or forces the tough decisions that need to be made, what would another's view of the CR be? What is the GOP's point for this?

[Q]December 19, 2006 -- WASHINGTON - Even with Democrats poised to control the government's purse strings next year, U2's Bono still hasn't found what he's looking for when it comes to U.S. funds to combat AIDS.

The disappointed U2 frontman stormed away from high-level meetings with incoming Democratic leaders late last week without assurances that $1 billion in proposed U.S. support would become a reality next year.

"I'm alarmed we could not get a commitment from the Democratic leadership to prevent the loss of $1 billion in the continuing resolution to fight AIDS, malaria and extreme poverty," the rock star said in a statement.

President Bush had proposed that amount in the past.

"I don't know who's to blame. Democrats are blaming Republicans, Republicans are blaming Democrats," Bono added.

Congressional leaders are expected to freeze the budgets of federal agencies, making it unlikely additional funds will be provided.

[/Q]

http://www.nypost.com/seven/1219200...ems_1b_aids_dodge_nationalnews_ian_bishop.htm

The question is will Bono's dream of building the ONE Campaign produce voters verses sign ups.

If he gets the sign-ups to be voters....There may be many sad politicians next election.

Back
Top Bottom