Democrat wants to reinstate the DRAFT - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-31-2002, 12:00 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,885
Local Time: 05:22 PM
Democrat wants to reinstate the DRAFT

Rangel Calls for Resuming Military Draft
Tue Dec 31, 7:15 AM ET Add Politics - U. S. Congress to My Yahoo!



NEW YORK - Rep. Charles Rangel (news, bio, voting record), a veteran of the Korean War, says he plans to introduce legislation to resume the military draft in the event of a war against Iraq.



In an opinion piece published in Tuesday's editions of The New York Times, the Democrat from New York said he would ask Congress next week to support his proposal.


Rangel said the prospect of a draft would make Congress less likely to support a war.


"I believe that if those calling for war knew their children were more likely to be required to serve and to be placed in harm's way there would be more caution and a greater willingness to work with the international community in dealing with Iraq," Rangel wrote.


Military service should be a "shared sacrifice" asked of all able young Americans, he said, noting that minorities make up a "disproportionate number" of enlisted members of the military.


"Service in our nation's armed forces is no longer a common experience," said Rangel, who voted against the congressional resolution authorizing President Bush (news - web sites) to use force against Iraq.


Rangel said his legislation would require "alternative national service" for people who are physically unable to serve and for those who refuse to serve for "reasons of conscience."


President Bush has said he doesn't intend to revive the draft, which ended in 1973.
__________________

Dreadsox is offline  
Old 12-31-2002, 12:01 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,885
Local Time: 05:22 PM
This is the last thing anyone wants! Policitcal game-playing on the part of the congressman.

Peace
__________________

Dreadsox is offline  
Old 12-31-2002, 12:11 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,782
Local Time: 05:22 PM
Rangel is an ass; he might be trying to prove a point, but he's doing it in the wrong way. I'm sure his bill will not even make it past committee.

Melon
melon is offline  
Old 12-31-2002, 12:12 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,885
Local Time: 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Rangel is an ass
Melon
We know he is a Donkey...he is a Democrat!!!!!!!
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 12-31-2002, 12:22 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,782
Local Time: 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox


We know he is a Donkey...he is a Democrat!!!!!!!
Oh I know Rangel is a Democrat, but he sounds like one of those whiney "oppressed minority" types. If minority representation in the military is disproportionate, it is only because more minorities voluntarily enlisted; no one forced them to join the military!

And I'm not about to fight in any damn war; I'm thoroughly an academic, and I'm not about to be killed for some stupid personal grudge that the Bush family has festered against Saddam for the past decade. Those currently in the military are there because they chose to; did they think it would be a gravy train the entire time?

Melon
melon is offline  
Old 12-31-2002, 12:29 PM   #6
pax
ONE
love, blood, life
 
pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ewen's new American home
Posts: 11,412
Local Time: 06:22 PM
Re: Democrat wants to reinstate the DRAFT

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Rangel said the prospect of a draft would make Congress less likely to support a war.


"I believe that if those calling for war knew their children were more likely to be required to serve and to be placed in harm's way there would be more caution and a greater willingness to work with the international community in dealing with Iraq," Rangel wrote.
Great way to make a point. People really respond to idle threats. See how well it's working in Iraq?
__________________
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time


Join Amnesty.
pax is offline  
Old 12-31-2002, 12:29 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
And I'm not about to fight in any damn war; I'm thoroughly an academic, and I'm not about to be killed for some stupid personal grudge that the Bush family has festered against Saddam for the past decade. Those currently in the military are there because they chose to; did they think it would be a gravy train the entire time?

Melon
Good thing we live in the near perfect comfort of never having to respond to a call to arms.

I wonder who bought and paid for that priviledge?

nbcrusader is offline  
Old 12-31-2002, 01:02 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,782
Local Time: 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader


Good thing we live in the near perfect comfort of never having to respond to a call to arms.

I wonder who bought and paid for that priviledge?

You know, we wouldn't have this conversation if it were any other profession. There is this silly notion that every man is made to be a soldier, and I think that is utter crap, just like saying that every woman is made to be a housewife. For those who feel it is their calling to be a soldier, then good for them! Just don't get me involved.

Melon
melon is offline  
Old 12-31-2002, 01:04 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon


You know, we wouldn't have this conversation if it were any other profession. There is this silly notion that every man is made to be a soldier, and I think that is utter crap, just like saying that every woman is made to be a housewife. For those who feel it is their calling to be a soldier, then good for them! Just don't get me involved.

Melon
But we have the priviledge to follow our callings. I did not choose to be a soldier, but if they start drafting 38-year olds, I would go.
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 12-31-2002, 01:13 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,228
Local Time: 04:22 PM
Quote:
Oh I know Rangel is a Democrat, but he sounds like one of those whiney "oppressed minority" types. If minority representation in the military is disproportionate, it is only because more minorities voluntarily enlisted; no one forced them to join the military!
But what you have to remember is for a lot of people the military is a means to education or an alternative to working a job that doesn't require a college education. This is why minority representation is disproportionate, because education is disproportionate. Yes they voluntarily enlisted, but the majority enlist not because they want to fight in a war, and not even because they want to protect this country, but because it "promises" them a better life than what the statistics of their upbringing does.
BVS is offline  
Old 12-31-2002, 01:30 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,885
Local Time: 05:22 PM
Melon,

I would bet my life that NO SOLDIER in the military wants to serve next to a draftee who does not wish to be there. This is a very different military from the one 30 years ago. Good grief, there were times in Boot Camp where I thought the DI was going to push-up me to death because I was a "college boy".


BonoVox,

I happen to be one of those people who joined to help put myself through college. It does not matter what reason people joined. Their first and foremost job is to be a soldier no matter what they are trained to do. They know from day one, that they may be placed in harms way for the citizens of this country. They volunteered, no one forced them and believe me they know and understand what they signed up for.


Peace
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 12-31-2002, 02:05 PM   #12
BAW
The Flower
 
BAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: The OC....!!!!
Posts: 11,094
Local Time: 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Melon,

I would bet my life that NO SOLDIER in the military wants to serve next to a draftee who does not wish to be there. This is a very different military from the one 30 years ago. Good grief, there were times in Boot Camp where I thought the DI was going to push-up me to death because I was a "college boy".


My son will be 18 in about 6 weeks...and knowing him as I do, you couldn't be more right. Unless they have a special boot camp where you wake up at 2:00 p.m. and go to be at 4:00 a.m., I don't think my kid would cut it. I'm sure if he was drafted, he would adjust and do his duty but I'd be pretty worried if our military was made up of kids like him.
BAW is offline  
Old 12-31-2002, 02:21 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Rangel is an ass;
Melon
I agree.
An oppurtunistic ass and race baiter.


DB9
diamond is offline  
Old 12-31-2002, 02:44 PM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,228
Local Time: 04:22 PM
Quote:
I happen to be one of those people who joined to help put myself through college. It does not matter what reason people joined. Their first and foremost job is to be a soldier no matter what they are trained to do. They know from day one, that they may be placed in harms way for the citizens of this country. They volunteered, no one forced them and believe me they know and understand what they signed up for.
I understand that, but I think that the percentage of people going into the service with the sole intent of doing something for their country and "protecting our freedom" is a lot less than it use to be. If you take away the incentives that the military offers now, we would have a much smaller military than we have right now. The idea that going into the military as something you owe your country is quickly dissapearing, due to the growing selfishness of our country's will to jump into wars which we have no reason to be in.
BVS is offline  
Old 12-31-2002, 02:58 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
The idea that going into the military as something you owe your country is quickly dissapearing, due to the growing selfishness of our country's will to jump into wars which we have no reason to be in.
There seems to be a conflict between the concept of OWING your country something and the individual determining in which conflicts the country should engage.

You are essentially saying, I owe service to my country, if its the right service for me. Our previous generations serve on such conditions.

If the idea of going into the military as something you owe your country is quickly disappearing, it is due to the individual's attitude (we are much fatter and sassier than previous generations).
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 12-31-2002, 03:11 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,228
Local Time: 04:22 PM
Quote:
If the idea of going into the military as something you owe your country is quickly disappearing, it is due to the individual's attitude (we are much fatter and sassier than previous generations).
Well I guess I'd rather be surrounded by fat and sassy people rather than people willing to kill for the greed of our political system. I'd take fat and sassy over greedy and warmongering anyday.
BVS is offline  
Old 12-31-2002, 03:37 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


Well I guess I'd rather be surrounded by fat and sassy people rather than people willing to kill for the greed of our political system. I'd take fat and sassy over greedy and warmongering anyday.
Are you sure you want to characterize people who serve in their country's military as "greedy and warmongering"?
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 12-31-2002, 07:19 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,885
Local Time: 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Well I guess I'd rather be surrounded by fat and sassy people rather than people willing to kill for the greed of our political system. I'd take fat and sassy over greedy and warmongering anyday.
May you get your wish!

People who join the military are greedy and warmongering? Kill for the greed of our political system?

You went from making what were some valid points to this?
Oh well....so much for intelligent dialogue.....

I would submit that many of the people who join no longer join to just serve. There are still many who do. You wrote about insentives being the reason so many join, but you know what, there were insentives in WWII. Many people benefitted from the GI Bill and came home and got themselves an education. The military also integrated much faster than society did at the time. It was not perfect, but it did integrate, and because of it, after WWI, Korea, and Vietnam, those veterans came back and helped to change society.

Good grief, name a job in todays society where people are not looking for the best benfits that they can receive.

Your statements above are nothing but insulting to anyone who has served their country (not just the USA).
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 12-31-2002, 08:06 PM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,228
Local Time: 04:22 PM
Quote:
Are you sure you want to characterize people who serve in their country's military as "greedy and warmongering"?
No I believe you made an extreme statement, so I made an extreme one to answer. That's all.
I believe the military is made up of a whole spectrum of individuals that range from people who just want to kill people to people who just couldn't find anything else to do with their life.

I'm just sick of people putting so much glory into the idea of "serving your country". People are still using the argument that our civil liberties are still in the hands of our soldiers. I can't believe that This argument could go on for an eternity. War has been the answer to so many issues in the past, I think it's time to evolve and find alternate solutions.
BVS is offline  
Old 12-31-2002, 09:57 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,782
Local Time: 05:22 PM
Let me reiterate: I have nothing against those who are in the military. In fact, I have admiration for those who are willing to do what I find to be repulsive. I cannot kill anyone, nor can I ever submit to the essentialist ("good vs. evil") ideology that would ever make me change my mind on that. However, thank goodness that not everyone is like me!

The idea of a draft for this upcoming war, however, I think to be a mute point. I sincerely doubt that anyone will give Rangel the time of day--Democrat or Republican, let alone Bush. War *has* changed since the Vietnam War, and, as much as I hate most of Reagan's policies in the 1980s, I will give him due credit for starting to make war far more technological and less man-intensive. With the U.S.' undisputed supremacy of the skies through military jets all the way to satellite-guided long-range missiles, our smaller military should certainly be sufficient.

However, in terms of me being suitable for military service? I don't think anyone would want a skinny, disillusioned, semi-depressive gay leftist intellectual with a disdain for absolutes. I think the military is much better off without me.

Melon
__________________

melon is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×