Democrat Presidential Candidates in All-Gay-Issue "Debate"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
Did anyone watch this?

Word is that all the Republican canidates were invited to a similar event and all turned it down, very telling.

Didn't watch, here are some articles

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/10/us/politics/10dems.html?ref=politics

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/09/AR2007080902331.html?hpid=topnews

Biden and Dodd skipped, the big three oppose gay marriage, other than that they all just love those gay people (and their votes please).

For you, Mia, via the WaPo:
The event was a love fest for Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich (Ohio), who backs same-sex marriage. When one panelist, Washington Post editorial writer Jonathan Capehart, asked Kucinich if there was any issue on which he disagreed with the gay rights community, the talkative congressman was left speechless.

"All I can say is keep those contributions coming, and you'll have the president you want," he told the audience.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Word is that all the Republican canidates were invited to a similar event and all turned it down, very telling.

That's not as bad as the Dems refusing to go on Fox News. That is ridiculous and I would be embarrassed as hell if I were a Democrat. That is very telling.

Re: Re: Democrat Presidential Candidates in All-Gay-Issue "Debate"

2861U2 said:

That's not as bad as the Dems refusing to go on Fox News. That is ridiculous and I would be embarrassed as hell if I were a Democrat. That is very telling.

What exactly are you talking about? :huh:

Re: Re: Re: Democrat Presidential Candidates in All-Gay-Issue "Debate"

BonoVoxSupastar said:

What exactly are you talking about? :huh:

What didnt you get? I'm reminding you all that the Democrats think Fox News is the great satan and have decided not to appear on the most watched cable news outlet, surely costing them some independent votes.

Yes, I'm going off topic.

Varitek said:
Didn't watch, here are some articles

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/10/us/politics/10dems.html?ref=politics

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/09/AR2007080902331.html?hpid=topnews

Biden and Dodd skipped, the big three oppose gay marriage, other than that they all just love those gay people (and their votes please).

For you, Mia, via the WaPo:

So, the Dems went on, said "we oppose gay marriage but we'd still like your votes"

The Reps didn't go on

Yes, telling indeed.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Democrat Presidential Candidates in All-Gay-Issue "Debate"

2861U2 said:

What didnt you get? I'm reminding you all that the Democrats think Fox News is the great satan and have decided not to appear on the most watched cable news outlet, surely costing them some independent votes.

They don't think it's the great satan (talk about hyperbole out of you), they think it's not a legitimate news channel. And they are absolutely correct.

Any independent voter who watches Fox for their source of news would not vote for the likes of Hillary. Ever. So what a silly point.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Democrat Presidential Candidates in All-Gay-Issue "Debate"

2861U2 said:

Yes, I'm going off topic.

Great satan? :lol:

You are talking about how they canceled the Fox News sponsored debate, that is not "refusing to show up on Fox News". They pulled out of the debate after the Fox News Chairman cracked a moronic joke about Obama being Osama.

Please get your facts straight.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Democrat Presidential Candidates in All-Gay-Issue "Debate"

anitram said:

they think it's not a legitimate news channel. And they are absolutely correct.

Please, tell me how. I've never understood why people like you think this way.

anitram said:
Any independent voter who watches Fox for their source of news would not vote for the likes of Hillary. Ever.

:eyebrow:

Huh? You dont know that. That's a false, unprovable statement stemming from your hatred of Fox. It's ridiculous and you know it.

I want to know why 1) everyone here hates Fox News, 2) why they arent a legitimate news organization despite being the most popular and 3) why the Democrats in here think it is wise for the candidates to not appear on Fox News where they could reach out to the independents and Democrats who watch Fox News.

I hope I get an answer this time.

2861U2 said:
Thanks for answering my question. :rolleyes:

We've had whole threads, and thousands of posts that have shown major errors on their part, and favoring towards the right.

You can't be legitimate and wear your bias on your sleeve.

When you do shit like this, you can't be considered legit:

200610041059.jpg

BonoVoxSupastar said:

We've had whole threads, and thousands of posts that have shown major errors on their part, and favoring towards the right.

You can't be legitimate and wear your bias on your sleeve.

When you do shit like this, you can't be considered legit:

CNN has never made a mistake?

Fox News has as many Democrat guests as Republicans. Because they dont bash Bush 24/7 while building up the Democratic candidates (like CNN and PMSNBC) they are right wing? They give honest reporting. Perhaps you are confusing Fox News with CNN, who recently had a panel of 4 left-wing guests and 0 right-wing guests during one of their shows. Is this legit?

ETA: Another thing, whether they are right-wing or not, they must be doing something right, as they continue to gain viewers while CNN, PMSNBC and the 3 Evening Newscasts all are plummeting.

Last edited:
OK we don't think fox news channel is a legitimate news channel because it is more opinion and "accidental typos" (obama-osama) than actual news. Thus disqualifying it from being a news channel. It can still be FNC though, just like KFC in the urban legend about them not using real chicken...

2861U2 said:

CNN has never made a mistake?

Never with such bias. And they usually report retractions, Fox never did.

Oh and their Iraq War reporting was horrible at the begining of the war. They posted captions like: "Iraquis have no regard for life" without any context.

2861U2 said:

Fox News has as many Democrat guests as Republicans. Because they dont bash Bush 24/7 while building up the Democratic candidates (like CNN and PMSNBC) they are right wing? They give honest reporting. Perhaps you are confusing Fox News with CNN, who recently had a panel of 4 left-wing guests and 0 right-wing guests during one of their shows. Is this legit?

ETA: Another thing, whether they are right-wing or not, they must be doing something right, as they continue to gain viewers while CNN, PMSNBC and the 3 Evening Newscasts all are plummeting.

Honest reporting? Please, they've been shown to be incorrect more than any other news source.

Ratings don't mean shit.

2861U2 said:

Let's look at their primteime lineup

John Gibson, bigoted conservative
Sheppard Smith, fluff programming
Bill O'Reilly, arrogant conservative
Hannity, kool-aid conservative
Colmes, lemming liberal
Greta Van Susteren, fluff programming

other:

Sunday Morning program
Chris Wallace, admitted conservative
Fox New Panel/Special Report with Brit Hume
Brit Hume, longtime conservative
Bill Kristol, editor of conservative magazine
Charles Krauthammer, conservative colunist
Juan Williams, token liberal
Mara from PBS, probably a moderate, call her a liberal if you'd like

Beltway Boys
Mort Kondracke (sp?) and Fred Barnes
conservatives, Mort is a failry moderate conservative, Barnes is an idealouge.

Neil Cavuto:hardcore fiscal republican

That media show: there is a pretty good balance on this show for once.

now there are others who don't appear as much these are the primary panelists, I could go on, nearly every single one of them is a conservative. Almost all newspaper guests are conservatives.
Look at their military "experts", all bona-fide harcore hawks.

The 2004 election coverage was hosted by Brit Republican Hume
along with 3 conservatives and Token Williams.

Fair and balanced?

That's my only problem with them, cliaming to be fair and balanced and using the slogan "we report you decide". Well that's maybe not inaccurate, they report and let you decide but it's like an otherwise un-opinionated Conservative radio show, the reporting is HEAVILY skewed. It's not a serious objective news organization.

I could go on and on and on.

As for viewership, cable news in general is peanuts.
O'Reilly has the highest rated show on cable news and if he were on a major broadcast network it would be one of the lowest rated shows in the ratings itself. There aren't very many people watching ANY of this.

Inner El Guapo said:

Let's look at their primteime lineup

John Gibson, bigoted conservative
Sheppard Smith, fluff programming
Bill O'Reilly, arrogant conservative
Hannity, kool-aid conservative
Colmes, lemming liberal
Greta Van Susteren, fluff programming

other:

Sunday Morning program
Chris Wallace, admitted conservative
Fox New Panel/Special Report with Brit Hume
Brit Hume, longtime conservative
Bill Kristol, editor of conservative magazine
Charles Krauthammer, conservative colunist
Juan Williams, token liberal
Mara from PBS, probably a moderate, call her a liberal if you'd like

Beltway Boys
Mort Kondracke (sp?) and Fred Barnes
conservatives, Mort is a failry moderate conservative, Barnes is an idealouge.

Neil Cavuto:hardcore fiscal republican

That media show: there is a pretty good balance on this show for once.

now there are others who don't appear as much these are the primary panelists, I could go on, nearly every single one of them is a conservative. Almost all newspaper guests are conservatives.
Look at their military "experts", all bona-fide harcore hawks.

The 2004 election coverage was hosted by Brit Republican Hume
along with 3 conservatives and Token Williams.

Fair and balanced?

That's my only problem with them, cliaming to be fair and balanced and using the slogan "we report you decide". Well that's maybe not inaccurate, they report and let you decide but it's like an otherwise un-opinionated Conservative radio show, the reporting is HEAVILY skewed. It's not a serious objective news organization.

I could go on and on and on.

As for viewership, cable news in general is peanuts.
O'Reilly has the highest rated show on cable news and if he were on a major broadcast network it would be one of the lowest rated shows in the ratings itself. There aren't very many people watching ANY of this.

And Alan Colmes, ED Hill, Kirsten Powers, Jane Hall, Susan Estrich, Juan Williams, (all liberals) and keep in mind, most of the guests that O'Reilly and the like have on their shows are liberals, to counter the conservative hosts. CNN, however, has nothing but liberal hosts and liberal guests, save a few like JC Watts.

2861U2 said:
I want to know why 1) everyone here hates Fox News, 2) why they arent a legitimate news organization despite being the most popular and 3) why the Democrats in here think it is wise for the candidates to not appear on Fox News where they could reach out to the independents and Democrats who watch Fox News.

I hope I get an answer this time.

I'll offer an answer of my own.

1. I don't think anyone with a relative clue thinks Fox News is an objective, serious news organization. I know Republicans, conservatives, libertarians, and moderates who don't take their reporting seriously.

I think people hate them because they won't just come out and admit it. If you go out and read liberal blogs, websites or even moderate blogs and websites, you'll see ten times as much venom directed at Fox News as opposed to Rush Limbaugh, who probably has a bigger audience. The difference to me is that Rush doesn't cloak himself in "fairness".

2. I could rattle off a few hundred songs that peaked at #1 on the Billboard chart that were performed by some hack musician in one form or another. Look at the TV Nielsen ratings, is crap like the karaoke show, any lame brain talent show or dating show, legitimate television? It's VERY popular.

3. I don't neccesarily think it would be a bad idea but I don't neccessarily think they'd reach a favorable audience with any type of numbers that would make it worth it. As few people who are watching ANY of this, I'd guess the Democrats who are actively looking for a candidate wouldn't think to find them on Fox News. Why would they be watching in the first place. I don't doubt someone like O'Reilly, who can be fair at times and at least offers equal time has independents who watch his show. But if they do, they are probably conservative independents and are lost on the Dems anyways. To sum up=waste of time.

2861U2 said:

And Alan Colmes, ED Hill, Kirsten Powers, Jane Hall, Susan Estrich, Juan Williams, (all liberals) and keep in mind, most of the guests that O'Reilly and the like have on their shows are liberals, to counter the conservative hosts. CNN, however, has nothing but liberal hosts and liberal guests, save a few like JC Watts.

I think the problem in this thread goes back to differing definitions of conservative and liberal. (see: Mrs. Clinton thread)

US public sees news media as biased, inaccurate, uncaring: poll

Aug 9 06:28 PM US/Eastern

View larger image

More than half of Americans say US news organizations are politically biased, inaccurate, and don't care about the people they report on, a poll published Thursday showed.
And poll respondents who use the Internet as their main source of news -- roughly one quarter of all Americans -- were even harsher with their criticism, the poll conducted by the Pew Research Center said.

More than two-thirds of the Internet users said they felt that news organizations don't care about the people they report on; 59 percent said their reporting was inaccurate; and 64 percent they were politically biased.

More than half -- 53 percent -- of Internet users also faulted the news organizations for "failing to stand up for America".

:hmm:
Among those who get their news from newspapers and television, criticism of the news organizations was up to 20 percentage points lower than among Internet news audiences, who tend to be younger and better educated than the public as a whole, according to Pew.

The poll indicates an across the board fall in the public's opinion on the news media since 1985, when a similar survey was conducted by Times Mirror, Pew Research said.

"Two decades ago, public attitudes about how news organizations do their job were less negative. Most people believed that news organizations stood up for America... a majority believed that news organizations got the facts straight," Pew said in a report.

The Washington-based Pew Research Center describes itself as a nonpartisan "fact tank" that provides information on the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world.

Copyright AFP 2007, AFP stories and photos shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium

Last edited:
2861U2 said:

I mentioned the stooge Colmes*.
And Juan Williams more than once, mentioned Jane Hall in spirit who appears on the media show with Cal Goosestepping Thomas, can we say they cancel each other out?

E D Hill? What? Are you serious? With respect, you have no clue.
She's an admitted conservative. Try this www.google.com

Let me just say this about Susan Estrich and others.
If you want to choose a subsitute for Colmes when he's out, then I'll just choose a subsitute for Hannity, that's nice and neat, huh?
It says the same thing. Plus I'll one up you with Dick Morris, Dennis Miller and about 50 others.

Speaking of which, Alan Colmes is a fucking prop.
The next time you watch the show, check out how each and every single issue is framed. The question on the screen will say something similar to "Dems hurting us in war on terrorism?", of course with the obligatory question mark as to not seem to IMPLY it. Then Hannity beats him over the head continously as he sheepishly sits there and barely musters three words to defend himself. Then here comes Col. Hunt to talk about how the liberals are hurting the war effort, then Dick Morris to explain how they are ruining America as Alan Colmes sits there as the whipping post, not only unable to defend himself because of his own personality or wit but because the cards are stacked against him to begin with.

The single most laughable program on TV. Worse than Crossfire EVER was. At least you had two liberal douches and two conservative douches on that show and everyone looked like an ass. Hannitty and Colmes is worse than Jerry Springer IMO.

Back
Top Bottom