democracy takes a hit in canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
in canada there is a media conglomerate called canwest global which consists of one of the nations two daily newspapers, tens of other local papers across canada via their acquisition of the southam newspaper chain, the arguable top-rated television network, and various other holdings both international and domestic in nature.

cwg is controlled by the asper family. the asper's built their largely ontario based network into a nationwide entity which delivers an inordinate amount of american programming across the nation-basically if you've seen NBC's lineup over the last ten years, you've seen globals-minus ER. cwg has drawn criticism for other misgivings however, most notable of which is the recent decision that all editorials to be printed in papers across canada go through the winnipeg office of the asper family first. this is an almost unheard of process in the paper industry and the asper's have persisted in spite of signifcant criticism.

izzy asper, the father of the family, is a very powerful man and is known to be good friends with the prime minister jean chretien.

given all of this, what is one left to believe when the editor of southam's ottawa paper(which is the nations capital) is relieved of his duties following his Sunday publishing of an un-asper-edited column calling for pm jean chretien?s retirement in the wake of recent, and soundly backed, allegations of frequent favoritism and unethical behavior by members of his own cabinet?

it would appear that asper saw the editorial, perhaps in the paper itself, and fired the editor russ mills promptly. comparatively, similar editorials ran in other papers(outside of the capital) which also were published without prior knowledge of the aspers.

mr asper, in an apparently feeble attempt to quell criticism of his pal, has only thrown fuel on the fire as canadian journalism has been undermined by corporate bigwigs linked to our leader. through all of the recent allegations of ethics infractions on the part of the chretien government I have resisted the desire to have him removed based on his own actions(i would not have been perturbed if he was replaced by another member of his party, say paul martin for example). however today i am of the mind that the liberal party should be forced into calling a general election, rather than simply selecting a new leader. mr chretien and his party should be put through the ringer.

today i am a disappointed canadian because one of the values that i hold to be of the utmost importance, freedom of the press, has been trampled by my own government.

yeah that sux too. Canada would be a good place to live if it weren't for all the damn Canadians!!! :mad:

;):D:tongue:

sulawesigirl4 said:
yeah that sux too. Canada would be a good place to live if it weren't for all the damn Canadians!!! :mad:

;):D:tongue:

canadian's have been screwing canada up for years!
:mad:

alright kobe, we all know lilly has issues understanding canada and her mysterious canadian ways (insert mysterious ways pun here). oh and i agree with you on canadians messing up canada, cos, y'know, americans don't mess up america at all :rolleyes:

ok...list of questions:

1. is your pm crappy?

2. if so, for how long & why?

3. who's paul martin and what does he have to do with anything?

4. how long do pm's stay in office?

5. if he did "retire" would it be like nixon's resignation, or not quite so low?

6. if he did "retire" who would take over? do you have a line of succession?

7. why do you have only 2 national newspapers? we have two for the minneapolis/st. paul area alone...don't you feel a bit underinformed? (*looks at useage of underinformed and realizes the post she's in the middle of making*)

8. do you learn about the us political system in canada? i feel like such a forkin idiot everytime you post something about canada and i hafta ask all these questions...grrr.

so kobe, or other canadians, if you would be so kind to answer some or all of these that would be great.

Lilly said:

ok...list of questions:

Lilly said:
1. is your pm crappy?

not neccessarily. he has done a lot of good things. taxes have repeatedly gone down much to the pleasure of canadians. that is up until yesterday when it was frozen for the first time in 10 years. the economy has not hit the bumps that the american one has, which belies our economic history, especially of the past 20 years. may people attribute this to the work of the last good PM before chretien, mulroney during the eighties however(i disagree with that point). but lots has also gone wrong. health care, often admired around the world, is in reality in shambles as the feds and provinces fight over whose responsibility it is. and there are many present allegations of unethical behavior by the PM and his cronies: defence minister gives 35K contract to ex-girlfriend to write a ~ 5 page report, PM himself lobbies RCMP to fund a friends project, etc, etc...

Lilly said:
2. if so, for how long & why?

chretien's had a constant stream of scandals surrounding him but this has intensified in the past couple of years.

Lilly said:
3. who's paul martin and what does he have to do with anything?

paul martin is chretien's former finance minister. he was generally percieved to be the PM in training for the past few years. over the last few months however martin and his supporters started to make motions that they wanted in power now and chretien was not about to budge. a standoff happened about 10 days ago now and martin was kicked off of his assignment and is now what is known as a backbencher-a representative with no specific duties for the federal government. chretien's leadership comes under review this coming february and many expect this to be the ultimate showdown between himself and martin(it will not be on pay per view however;))

Lilly said:
4. how long do pm's stay in office?

term of 5 years i think but they can call elections whenever they want. most strategically time it for a period of high popularity.

Lilly said:
5. if he did "retire" would it be like nixon's resignation, or not quite so low?

it wouldn't match the embarrassment but it would definetely be bad. i'm not sure of the exact numbers but chretien's approval rating is the lowest its ever been right now, he has even lost support of his home riding.

Lilly said:
6. if he did "retire" who would take over? do you have a line of succession?

if chretien steps down there would be an interim period with present finance minister and deputy pm john manley in power before the liberal party were to get together to select a formal leader. who in all likelihood would be the aforementioned paul martin.

Lilly said:
7. why do you have only 2 national newspapers? we have two for the minneapolis/st. paul area alone...don't you feel a bit underinformed? (*looks at useage of underinformed and realizes the post she's in the middle of making*)

ahh, i think you misunderstood. 2 national newspapers in the sense of a usa today type thing. 2 newspapers which are virtually the same across the nation. the national post is one and the globe and mail is the other. the paper the editor in question works at, the ottawa citizen, is owned by the asper family as is the national post. there are many regionally successful and large papers in each distinct city however.

Lilly said:
8. do you learn about the us political system in canada? i feel like such a forkin idiot everytime you post something about canada and i hafta ask all these questions...grrr.

a fair amount yes. mostly through historical study, of which i am most definetely lacking as i never took to history in high school. a fair amount of canadian media focuses on american goings ons unfortunately. remember we have a 99% shared media with you guys so we need to be relatively informed to enjoy what you 'enjoy';)

hope that answers your questions.
and yes this post was brought to you by the federal government of canada because i'm at work right now:yes:

kobayashi said:

hope that answers your questions.
and yes this post was brought to you by the federal government of canada because i'm at work right now:yes:

always nice to see that those exorbitant taxes you Canadians pay are being put to good use....like to help Americans. ;) (in this case, to inform us.)

kobayashi said:

people attribute this to the work of the last good PM before chretien, mulroney during the eighties however(i disagree with that point).

fickle canadians. They were not saying that when he introduced the GST and then got promptly booted out of office.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom