DeLay indicted! will step aside as speaker of the House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
DeLay Indicted in Campaign Finance Probe
By LARRY MARGASAK, Associated Press Writer
6 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - A Texas grand jury on Wednesday charged Rep. Tom DeLay and two political associates with conspiracy in a campaign finance scheme, forcing the House majority leader to temporarily relinquish his post.

DeLay attorney Steve Brittain said DeLay was accused of a criminal conspiracy along with two associates, John Colyandro, former executive director of a Texas political action committee formed by DeLay, and Jim Ellis, who heads DeLay's national political committee.

"I have notified the speaker that I will temporarily step aside from my position as majority leader pursuant to rules of the House Republican Conference and the actions of the Travis County district attorney today," DeLay said.

GOP congressional officials said Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., will recommend that Rep. David Dreier (news, bio, voting record) of California step into those duties. Some of the duties may go to the GOP whip, Rep. Roy Blunt (news, bio, voting record) of Missouri. The Republican rank and file may meet as early as Wednesday night to act on Hastert's recommendation.

The charge carries a potential two-year sentence, which forces DeLay to step down under House Republican rules.

"The defendants entered into an agreement with each other or with TRMPAC (Texans for a Republican Majority Political Action Committee) to make a political contribution in violation of the Texas election code," says the four-page indictment. "The contribution was made directly to the Republican National Committee within 60 days of a general election."

The indictment against the second-ranking, and most assertive Republican leader came on the final day of the grand jury's term. It followed earlier indictments of a state political action committee founded by DeLay and three of his political associates.

The grand jury action is expected to have immediate consequences in the House, where DeLay is largely responsible for winning passage of the Republican legislative program. House Republican Party rules require leaders who are indicted to temporarily step aside from their leadership posts.

However, DeLay retains his seat representing Texas' 22nd congressional district, suburbs southwest of Houston.

DeLay has denied committing any crime and accused the Democratic district attorney leading the investigation, Ronnie Earle, of pursuing the case for political motives.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050928/ap_on_go_co/delay_investigation

:dance:

My, Tom DeLay, how you've grown up. The end life cycle of every Republican leader is scandal and resignation. In a few years, your successors too will follow your footsteps.

Melon

If he did what he's been accused of doing, I feel badly for those who were affected. And undoubtedly his family will suffer as well.

This country's justice system is still predicated on the idea that one is innocent until proven guilty. If he is guilty, I hope he receives the justice he deserves.

pax said:
If he did what he's been accused of doing, I feel badly for those who were affected. And undoubtedly his family will suffer as well.

This country's justice system is still predicated on the idea that one is innocent until proven guilty. If he is guilty, I hope he receives the justice he deserves.

:up:

MrsSpringsteen said:
:hyper:

If he's guilty I hope he gets convicted. Arrogance like his generally comes before a fall.

"tell me kids, indictments are fun, aren't they?" :D

guilty

and not guilty

are leagal terms

o j is "not guilty"

this administration constantly says things like

"there is no evidence"

"if someone is found guilty of a crime they will not work in my administration"

"we will have to let the legal process work"

so much for restoring "honor and dignity"

and “setting new standards"

we did not know they meant an

- all time lowest of the low.

nbcrusader said:
I guess it would be easier to try him in the court of FYM public opinion.

The OJ connection should be beneath you.

o j may have two people's blood on his hands

this administration has quite a bit more

pax said:

i think this applies to everyone but Tom DeLay.

and maybe Cheney.

perhaps Ivanhoe and Brownback as well.

;)

nbcrusader said:
I guess it would be easier to try him in the court of FYM public opinion.

The OJ connection should be beneath you.

Maybe I should start a thread:

"Black Suspects are 'Guilty'; White Suspects are 'Innocent Until Proven Guilty'"

:sexywink:

Melon

pax said:

I have been following this case for mounts? years?

and what he is accused of is the least of what he has done.

he has been using and abusing his power to block and cover up his actions

the GOP changed the rules last year to allow an indicted member to remain in leadership
is one small example of his tentacle hold on and abuse of power

Jiw Wright dem.TX left office for far less.

btw, Frist is a different situation and story.

Well, then, the justice system should have no problem trying and convicting him, and he should be punished.

It has begun to worry me a lot lately that the court of public opinion tries people before they get an actual trial. Don't get me wrong; I'm no fan of DeLay and everyone here should know that. But if he's done that for which he's been indicted, then the justice system will be able to prove that. And he should then receive appropriate punishment.

All I'm saying is that there's no good in crowing over an indictment.

DeLay Indicted in Campaign Finance Probe
By LARRY MARGASAK, Associated Press Writer
6 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - A Texas grand jury on Wednesday...

Having read that, it made me laugh. Sorry,I'm giggly today :giggle:

This was the reason I got on to Intereference today, to hear whatyall were saying about Delay.

I was just excited, when I saw the AOL news thing, and the article it had on TD. I'm glad to see some sort of action being taken, and I guess that's just it.

it will be interesting to see where it goes

i am so happy that the Rep. David Dreier who may or may not be a closeted gay homophobe working for the very forces who seek his social and perhaps literal death will be taking over for DeLay.

oh wait!

the Republicans, smelling a potential problem with someone who is a threat to Rick Santorum's marriage, have instead reversed their original position and house majority whip Roy Blunt (R-MO) will instead take up DeLay's post.

Dreier is also pro-choice. but, you know, the Republican Party is a very broad tent ...

"When Republicans turn to Dreier they're putting their best face forward, because he's articulate, reasonable and attractive," said Jack Pitney, a government professor at Claremont McKenna College in Southern California, where Dreier graduated in 1975.

"DeLay can be articulate, but in the press he shows too much of a hard edge," Pitney said.

Dreier has a more moderate voting record on some social issues than DeLay, for example opposing a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage that DeLay supported.

He is a frequent face on television talk shows, particularly after serving as one of Arnold Schwarzenegger's top supporters when the actor ran for governor in 2003.

Dreier remains among Schwarzenegger's top Capitol Hill allies, and on the governor's trips to Washington the two smoke cigars together in Dreier's Rules Committee office in the Capitol.

"David Dreier is a reasonable conservative who represents his party and the governor in a very thoughtful and credible manner," said Rob Stutzman, Schwarzenegger's deputy chief of staff for communications.

Marty Meehan will be on Larry King tonight to talk about this

"Tonight I'll be appearing on Larry King Live to debate the issue of ethics and accountability in government with some of my colleagues from the House of Representatives. I hope you'll have the chance to watch. "

As one of the Texans who were redistricted last year by Tom DeLay and his corrupt bunch of cronies,

all I can say is "YOU HAD IT COMING, TOM!" and "WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND."

This man's credibility is done - even some of his Texas Republicans have been trying to distance themselves from him.

What great news! :dancing: :applaud:

DeLay indicted! will step aside as speaker of the House

Uh oh, looks like someone was so excited that they didn't even notice DeLay wasn't Speaker of the House. :wink:

deep said:

I have been following this case for mounts?

and what he is accused of is the least of what he has done.

:hmm:
now who was mounting who?

db9

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom