Define "love"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trash Can

Acrobat
Is it an emotion? A feeling?

Or is it a choice? A decision?
And what of the consequences? And does it die? And WHY is it the only thing that you CANNOT leave behind??

Please use essay form and hand in your papers at the end of the class as you walk out.
You may begin now.

Love is a person. And Trash Can, it's someone you know very well.

I think love is the relationship you have with someone. In life, you meet those dicks you wish you hadnt, those that are easy to forget, those that become good friends, then, every now and then, you meet someone who is just so incredible, you feel you must be imagining it. The type of person that makes you doubt you are worthy of reciprocated feeling. The highs are so high that the smallest of lows make you think the world is ending. It makes you see just how incredible that love is. Whenever something does go wrong, no matter how small or insignificant, it hurts more because its a measure of the amount of love you share with that person.

I also believe it can end, because it isnt a tangible thing, and unfortunately at the end of the day our lives are ruled by only what we can see, touch and hold. I think that is why we place so much importance on it too. For it is to easy to lose something that isnt physical.

All that said, its just one of the most wonderful experiences a person can ever have.

...In my opinion
smile.gif

Thanks 80.
Great answer. And yes, I know Him well.

...BUT, I guess I was referring to love in the sense of "relationships". Friends, mates, husbands, and wives.

"How do you fall in love"? How do you know? What does it mean? When is it when one crosses the "line" from caring very much for someone to... "I'm in love with you!"?

I believe that Woody Allen once said, "The heart wants what the heart wants."... and so... the guy went and "fell in love" with his own stepdaughter, and left his wife.. and so did the stepdaughter (leave her stepmother), I guess.

"Love"?

Does responsibility play into "love".

"All is fair in love and war."
Is it????

Please don't get me wrong. I'm NOT a complete idiot here. I know... basically what the answer is. I just want input from you "Lovely" people.
biggrin.gif

OHHHH! ... "Looooooooove at first sight!"
And whaddaya think of THAT lie...errr... I mean, THAT statement!??

I'll go now... You talk amongs yourselves!

Peace!

I can't.It's more than a word,it's more than
a person,it's more than a universe.It's much
more than me anyway
wink.gif
.Listen to WOWY,it's close to my feeling of love.

To lighten things up - guess the quote:

"Love is the greatest thing in the world! -- Except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, tomato - where the mutton is nice and lean and...it's so perfect...so where was I?"

80s

Your answer is awesome. Greater love has no man than this, that he would lay down his life for his friends. the greatest love story ever was written in blood 2000 years ago on a cross in Judea. God is love.

But in another sense, we have one word for love, the Greeks had 3 or 4. What type of love are you talking about?

Originally posted by Diemen:
To lighten things up - guess the quote:

"Love is the greatest thing in the world! -- Except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, tomato - where the mutton is nice and lean and...it's so perfect...so where was I?"

LMAO!!!!!... ahhhh, I love that film.

"Have fun storming the castle!!"

The best way I can describe love is to think of ways I?ve experienced it, either getting or giving love. Some examples that come to mind?.

Love is someone bringing you a cup of hot tea or hot chocolate each morning to wake you up.

Love is holding someone?s hand while they take their last breath.

Love is standing for hours in a Neonatal ICU, stroking a baby?s tiny head all the while praying that the monitor alarms at the end of the tubes and wires will not shriek again.

Love is honoring the vows you made before God, family and friends even when something, some place, or someone else seems more interesting, fun, or exciting.

Love is sitting quietly next to a friend in a hospital chapel at 2:00 a.m.

Love is someone telling you ?you can do it?, someone believing ?you can do it?, someone supporting and encouraging you to ?do it?.

Love is not caring what gross bodily ?fluids? your kids cover you in when their sick.

Love is listening with interest and patience to an elderly person telling you the same story for the 82nd time.

And above all, I believe love is God giving us the hearts and minds and souls to be able to do any of these things or any other loving actions.

[This message has been edited by Like O2 (edited 08-03-2001).]

It's a verb, not a noun. It's also experience, and something that will stay with humankind forever, it will be the only thing that will survive of us.

frayed

I think it goes far beyong a feeling and emotion.Its a different state of consciousness.

sacrifice is a good word, however I think its a kind of sacrifice that aint really too hard to make as you do so without a second thought.

candys room, thats not love at all.

Angie is right in the highs and lows part. It can make you totally irrational at times, but at the same time, feel as though you've found something that is like nothing else on earth. That no amount of money, and material posessions could ever replace. Its beyond the physical, and probably the only thing that we can experience without drugs, that takes us to another state of consciousness.I have experienced love that has never touched on the physical and its probably the most amazing thing I have ever experienced in my life.

Its being there, no matter what,allowing yourself to be free and honest, its about trust and honesty,believing in, not taking for granted, supporting,wanting the best for, putting up with and dealing with the hard stuff, and adoring another.

With so many different kinds of love, its hard to describe.

Most of all, its giving.

------------------
Australian U2 Fans Forum
pub84.ezboard.com/bzoomerangers

Love is one of the most powerful emotions we have along with hate.Love seems to find you and it seems to control you rather than you control it.It is one of thouse things that is controlled by a higher power and I don't think we can ever fully understand it or learn how to control it enough to CHOOSE to fall in or out of love with someone.

Gee, thanks Like O2!

That was quite lovely.

Can I assume from what all you said that you might agree with me and say that Love is indeed a conscious decision, sacrifice and choice that one makes?

Back
Top Bottom