Death at the Speed of Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonite

I'm a chauvinist leprechaun
Check this out.. the HORROR.. I think you'll like this one.

From http://www.telegraph.co.uk

L.Unplugged

"America's laser of death cleared for take-off
By Sean Rayment
(Filed: 17/02/2002)

AMERICA'S enemies will soon face a weapon, once confined to the Star Wars films, that can bring death at the speed of light.

The special operations AC-130 Spectre gunship, whose conventional weaponry has been used to devastating effect since the Vietnam War, is to be fitted with a laser that can shoot down missiles, punch holes in aircraft and knock out ground radar stations.

Despite the successful operations against Taliban and al-Qaeda fighters in Afghanistan, the emergence of asymmetric terrorist warfare - attacks such as September 11 where the enemy is unseen - has led the Pentagon to identify the need for a more sophisticated and deadly weapons system.

The next generation gunship, codenamed AC-X and nicknamed 'Son of Spectre' by US defence officials, will carry all the weaponry already used on the AC-130, including twin 20mm Vulcan cannon (capable of firing 2,500 rounds per minute), 40mm Bofor cannon (100 rounds per minute) and a 105mm Howitzer. Its 21st-century addition, however, will be its biggest punch: a chemical oxygen iodine laser (Coil), capable of carrying out lethal and non-lethal attacks.

The advantage of laser weapons is that they strike at the speed of light. In the Coil, the power of a chemical reaction is converted to laser energy, and the weapon can carry on firing as long as its power source is intact.

Paul Wolfowitz, the US deputy defence secretary, has given the go-ahead for the next-generation AC-130, which includes full funding for the "integration of a direct-energy weapon".

The Pentagon is yet to announce when the new laser-equipped "Son of Spectre" will come into operation, but it is understood that the first upgraded version could be involved in military operations within two years.

Although lasers exist that can hit aircraft, disable optically guided missiles and destroy communications lines, the ability to vaporise enemy troops and vehicles Star Wars-style will take a few more years to develop.

The Spectre, flown by the 16th Special Operations Squadron, has a crew of 13, including two observers using television and infra-red images to direct the four gunners on to their target.

Working in pairs, normally providing close air support for special forces ground operations, Spectres can circle targets for hours, pulverising areas the size of football pitches with extraordinary precision.

The Spectre has, however, come to the end of its operational life and further upgrades have been ruled out on cost grounds.

Rob Hewson, the editor of Jane's Air Launched Weapons, said: "The laser will be the atomic weapon of the 21st century. Since the 1970s, US scientists have conducted a series of secret experiments in the Nevada desert using lasers.

"We know that they had lasers capable of causing immense damage but they needed huge power packs. This remains a problem and this is why a laser weapon can only be fitted on an air frame the size of the AC-130. But advances will be made and the power plant will shrink and one day it will dominate the battle field.

"The Americans may already have a very powerful laser weapon far more advanced than we have seen. They have been carrying out research in this field for years but it is a very secret weapons programme and we have no idea how far they have progressed."

Once the Coil and its power plant have been fully developed, the USAF hopes to fit it to a whole range of manned and unmanned aircraft, such as the Predator reconnaissance probe, which is fitted with Hellfire missiles and has been used in CIA operations in Afghanistan.

Lasers could also be used as an additional weapon system to fighters, bombers, helicopter gunships and warships but this is unlikely for a decade."

What happened to the Horror?

Ok.. allow me to rephrase... the HORROR you would have liked this one, the rest of ya'll will be scared shitless.

L.Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 02-17-2002).]

Originally posted by Lemonite:
What happened to the Horror?
Ok.. allow me to rephrase... the HORROR you would have liked this one, the rest of ya'll will be scared shitless.
L.Unplugged
[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 02-17-2002).]
What do you mean by that, Lemonite?

Interesting article.

What is worthy of mentioning is that people were scared of the invention of the laser for this exact reason in the 1950s. They thought that the laser was going to be a modified version of the Martian Death Ray as described in "War of the Worlds." Looks like they were correct, 50 years after the fact.

What the Pentagon doesn't like to publicize is that they've been experimenting with electromagnetic weapons since probably the 1960s-70s. Russia has been notorious for actually using them. In the 1970s, the Soviets, apparently, used one of these weapons to start a fire inside the U.S. embassy. The U.S. then used Soviet labor to rebuild the place and bug the place. In the last few years, one of these weapons was used against pilots, where it eventually led to blindness. A leaked video to "60 Minutes" showed that the U.S. is attempting to create weapons for man-to-man combat; all they could do in the mid-1990s was for these invisible waves to knock people down. I'm sure it has progressed since then.

Quite an interesting field, but, as always, the greater the power, the greater the potential for abuse.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

[This message has been edited by melon (edited 02-17-2002).]

Originally posted by melon:
Interesting article.

Quite an interesting field, but, as always, the greater the power, the greater the potential for abuse.

Melon

Yah.. But I'm positive you'd rather it not be someone named Jiang Chan Ping slicing you in half.

L.Unplugged

Yah.. But I'm positive you'd rather it not be someone named Jiang Chan Ping slicing you in half.

You know, if I made a comment like that, I'd be screamed at for being racist. But when conservatives do it, it's okay. I guess it's expected from you guys.
wink.gif

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

You know, if I made a comment like that, I'd be screamed at for being racist. But when conservatives do it, it's okay. I guess it's expected from you guys.
wink.gif

Melon

Or if Tiger Woods said it it'd be ok.. again Melon, You seem to get lost in a joke.. And by the way.. It's not a racist statement... It's a very true thought.

L.Unplugged

~Need I remind you that the liberals are known as the nastiest out there.. Just filling you in on some of the thoughts of the people..

~Need I remind you that the liberals are known as the nastiest out there.. Just filling you in on some of the thoughts of the people..

~Need I remind you that conservatives are considered to be reactionary fanatics with a few screws loose.. Just filling you in on some of the thoughts of the people..

M.Unplugged

------------------

~Need I remind you that conservatives are considered to be reactionary fanatics with a few screws loose.. Just filling you in on some of the thoughts of the people..

M.Unplugged

Oh Hoh Hoh, Hoh.. I am impressed with your wit.. It is nice to see it there.. I would drop a 'Too-Shay' on you, but it would be in sarcasm, and I know i've seen it written in here as a serious statement, and I don't want to be banned.

Allow me to add to this witty banter by dropping the general thought on liberalism,
"'You can't do it, you're hopelessly inept, you're incompetent, you're a boob, and you can't go anywhere without our help.'"

L.Unplugged
(at least an original)

"When the President does it, that means that it is not illegal." - Richard Nixon

I love quotes too.

Melon

------------------

"When the President does it, that means that it is not illegal." - Richard Nixon

I love quotes too.

Melon

Haha.. Oh deary me.. Our last boy left us with some goodies bro..

However, I too am tired of this as well,

Just enjoy the article... It's got some pretty sick stuff in there..

And by the way.. melon.. since you're apparently refreshing your Interference every two minutes, What is your take on the Canadian's Pairs Figure Skating Gold MEdal?

Classic L.Unplugged

I love quotes too.

As do I
smile.gif
I think Dan Quayle has some classic quotes attributed to him:

We're going to have the best-educated American people in the world.

Back
Top Bottom