Dean Urges Dems to Court Pro-Life Voters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
80sU2isBest said:

I don't know why there is a dinstinction between "human life" and "human person", so I'm not really sure if I beleive it. As I said, one of the definitions of "person" is "a living human". That may not be how the medical world defines it, however, so I just don't know.

But it makes no difference to me, because the way I see it, a "human life" is a "human that's living", and therefore abortion is murder.

you might not make a distinction between "human life" and "a human person," but the website does.

i also think the semantical distinction i am getting at is that something might be "human" -- an adjective -- but it is not necessarily "a human" -- a noun, thus a subject, something independent -- and that these distinctions might be helpful for us to understand the science a bit better.

Irvine511 said:

you might not make a distinction between "human life" and "a human person," but the website does.

i also think the semantical distinction i am getting at is that something might be "human" -- an adjective -- but it is not necessarily "a human" -- a noun, thus a subject, something independent -- and that these distinctions might be helpful for us to understand the science a bit better.

a "human life" is a noun.

Irvine511 said:

"a human life" is a noun.

in the phrase "human life" human serves as an adjective.

okay then, what does "human life" equal, if not "a human"?

80sU2isBest said:

okay then, what does "human life" equal, if not "a human"?

it is not a person.

i don't know that it "equals" anything -- it might be of humans, and it might be life, but that does not mean that it is a singular human life, a sentient being, a person with all the rights and responsibilities of personhood.

perhaps the period in the womb between fertilization and viability (or even until the baby breathes its first breath) is a unique stage in human development, the process of cells growing into a person, but cells are not yet people just as seeds are not sunflowers.

Back
Top Bottom