DD Ad Pulled for fear of terroristic implications

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it is right to pull the D D ad. :up:

Dunkin Donuts are like tobacco.

they are both products that if used in the properly intended way

they will kill you.

malkin.jpg
080528-ad-rachael-hmed-12p.hmedium.jpg

How do you know who to believe?

From the article:

"distinctive hate couture."

........ urge to bitch-slap rising ... RIIIIIIIIIIIIISING ........

I'm really disappointed in Dunkin for giving in to this. Since when does Michelle Malkin dictate what people can and can't wear? How she can think the scarf is supporting the terrorists or whatever her claim is, is baffling. It's even more baffling that people actual provide this woman with a platform to spew forth such crap.

I've been seeing those kiffeyehs (sp?) a lot lately, and they're not worn by Arabs as symbol of their cultural pride. Clothing stores and street vendors are selling them as though they were ordinary scarves. One girl in my class wore one, only it was red and white checkered, the same kind worn by the Jordanian royal family. So wearing kiffeyehs seems to be a trend of some sort

ETA: oh yeah, and Michelle Malkin is nuts

I'm really disappointed in Dunkin for giving in to this. Since when does Michelle Malkin dictate what people can and can't wear? How she can think the scarf is supporting the terrorists or whatever her claim is, is baffling. It's even more baffling that people actual provide this woman with a platform to spew forth such crap.

Corporations are scared of even a tiny hint of controversy. Most are terrified of the thought of their otherwise innocuous product being associated with something political. It might seem spineless and a bit of an overreaction on the part of Dunkin Donuts, but since Michelle Malkin dropped the ball, I do not blame them for what they are doing.

Secondly, while it is a bit of an inflammatory leap in logic, the Arab "keffiyeh" has had a distinct political connotation, since the 1960s, as a symbol of Palestinian nationalism. Yasser Arafat's choice of head covering was not a matter of fashion, nor coincidence; it was a deliberate expression of that nationalism. And, from there, groups like Hamas, Fatah, etc. developed their own distinctive kind of keffiyeh, as a means of identity and an outward expression of loyalty (perhaps equivalent to how street gangs have their certain colors that represent which gang you belong to).

As such, if you're Michelle Malkin, FOX News, or someone else of pro-Israeli sentiment who happens to know this and thinks that the Palestinian movement is a bunch of unsympathetic terrorists, then I'm guessing that's where she got her logic from.

Now I do understand that Western fashion often ignores these kinds of political trends when they decide what is "in" this season, but, frankly, I'm of the inclination that wearing them is about as ridiculous as the kinds of English language T-shirts that some Japanese have been caught wearing, where they have no idea what it says or means.

urine-tshirt.jpg

Is a Westerner randomly wearing a keffiyeh as ridiculously laughable as one would be wearing this shirt?

^ I agree, that said, what Ray was wearing looks to me like an ordinary paisley scarf. Never seen a keffiyeh with a design remotely like that.

and what's really funny, is that Michelle recently wrote an article on her "blog" about how much better DD was than the 'bucks:

[q]http://michellemalkin.com/2008/05/05/why-i-gave-up-starbucks/

I got hooked on Starbucks in Seattle more than a decade ago. It was the social thing to do. It became an occupational necessity, then an unbreakable habit. I put up with the “corporate social responsibility” mumbo-jumbo, which the company leavened with an occasional bone to conservatives. As I’ve confessed to you before, I’m not a morning person–and those caramel macchiatos have powered me through many an a.m. The taste and the buzz outweighed the conservative guilt.

Over the past weeks, however, Starbucks has left an increasingly bad taste.

David Boaz wrote of the company’s ridiculous policy barring gift card purchasers from customizing personalized cards with the phrase “Laissez Faire.”

Then there’s the price. A grande caramel macchiato puts you out $5. Two or three of those a week adds up. And in these times, every penny counts.

Lots of other consumers are coming to the same conclusion. Starbucks’ profits are down 28 percent.

So this weekend, I quit cold turkey.

I’m done.

I’ve always liked Dunkin’ Donuts coffee better, anyway. And as unapologetic supporters of immigration enforcement, they deserve your business and mine so much more.

Dunkin’: Tastes good, cheaper, and good for national security. Drink up![/q]

Miss Michelle would make quite the jihadist ...

Seriously.... is this an effin' joke of some kind??? If there's no connection intended, then why pull the ad? Wait, I know -- it's all the PC bullshit. Does this piss off anyone else???
Rachael Ray ad pulled as pundit sees terror link - Food Inc. - MSNBC.com

and what's really funny, is that Michelle recently wrote an article on her "blog" about how much better DD was than the 'bucks:

[q]http://michellemalkin.com/2008/05/05/why-i-gave-up-starbucks/

I got hooked on Starbucks in Seattle more than a decade ago. It was the social thing to do. It became an occupational necessity, then an unbreakable habit. I put up with the “corporate social responsibility” mumbo-jumbo, which the company leavened with an occasional bone to conservatives. As I’ve confessed to you before, I’m not a morning person–and those caramel macchiatos have powered me through many an a.m. The taste and the buzz outweighed the conservative guilt.

Over the past weeks, however, Starbucks has left an increasingly bad taste.

David Boaz wrote of the company’s ridiculous policy barring gift card purchasers from customizing personalized cards with the phrase “Laissez Faire.”

Then there’s the price. A grande caramel macchiato puts you out $5. Two or three of those a week adds up. And in these times, every penny counts.

Lots of other consumers are coming to the same conclusion. Starbucks’ profits are down 28 percent.

So this weekend, I quit cold turkey.

I’m done.

I’ve always liked Dunkin’ Donuts coffee better, anyway. And as unapologetic supporters of immigration enforcement, they deserve your business and mine so much more.

Dunkin’: Tastes good, cheaper, and good for national security. Drink up![/q]

Miss Michelle would make quite the jihadist ...

I finally get to use this smiley in the proper context :doh: :doh:

What really burns my biscuits about the whole thing isn't what Michelle Malkin thinks someone's clothing choices may or may not mean - this is America & she's entitled to be a bleedin' moron. What I'm up in arms about is the fact that DD folded!!! :shame:

I mean, holey glazed doughnuts Batman! (snicker :giggle: ) - does DD really need to sell doughnuts & coffee so badly that they can't afford to lose the brain donors who'd believe this drivel as customers? I would think not... but apparently stupid people buy a lot more breakfast pastries than smart people. :rolleyes:

“The kaffiyeh is a visual extension of our struggle, a way to be a thorn in the silence,” says Ahmad Habib, Iraqi refugee and a member of the Arab Cultural Resistance music group. “Everywhere, from the Arab world to Toronto, people dress up to paint the world with conformity and indifference. The kaffiyeh stands in the way of that.”

The transition of the kaffiyeh from the Middle Eastern version of a baseball cap to a symbol of solidarity came with the occupation of Palestinian land. The kaffiyeh became a symbol of national identity for Palestinians. From the ‘60s on, Palestine Liberation Organization officials and members, such Yasser Arafat, wore the kaffiyeh everywhere they went.

International coverage of the first intifada often showed pictures of Palestinian civilians throwing stones with kaffiyehs around their faces or necks. But afterward, the kaffiyeh was popular only amongst activists and Palestinian refugees.

During the second intifada in 2000, sympathy for Palestinians began to grow and the kaffiyeh became a way of displaying solidarity.

“Ideally, I want everyone to wear the kaffiyeh,” says Habib, “but if it’s just worn for the aesthetic value, without the spirit of resistance wrapped up in every thread, then they might as well not wear it at all, and if it becomes appropriated by commercial interests, then that’s even worse.”
TheStar.com | living | More than just a chic checkered scarf

I think I have that very scarf :ohmy: How ridiculous, practically everyone my age wears scarves like that. Fashion's to blame, not the terrorists.

Back
Top Bottom