DATA and other Charities...what have you done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enggirl

Acrobat
Hi!

So I'm trying to help the world, but I'm wondering what others out there have done. I went to the Rock Hall this past weekend (can't make it the 14th--damn!) and am totally inspired to get my crap together and DO SOMETHING! But am at a loss. Was considering a loacl rock/music benefit show in connection with DATA (have friends in local music scene). Has anyone out there ever done anything like this? Was it easy/hard/completely worth it? What advice do you have? Does anyone else out there also have the desire/intention to do something and is confused as well?

One person alone can't change the world, but one person can influence/teach another and so on and so forth. That's what I'm hoping to do.

Help! :wave:

thx,
enggirl

After MTV showed "Diary" with Bono and Paul O'Neill, a bunch of us fans started the African Well Fund. It was mentioned on the show that it only costs about $1,000 (USD) to build a well in Africa to give a village clean, sanitary water. We started to raise money and now we have well projects planned for Uganda. Interested? Click on the African Well Fund URL in my sig and have a look at our site! Thanks!

Here there! Getting inspired is what Bono's Angels are all about. We've been active in phone call and letter writing campaings to DROP THE DEBT! Check out the link in my sig. All you have to do to be an Angel is commit to one letter to your Senator/Rep/other leader. :)

Go girl!

SD

Thanks for the info Sherry and verte76. I DID go to the angelfire site and write a letter...and I had no idea about the Well site (It's amazing what happens when you're not around for a while, as I haven't been).

I will keep these organizations in mind while I research others and try to see if I can get something going on here where I live. I'd like to do something public where others can get info on these kinds of things--like what U2 does for when we can sign up for Greenpeace and Amnesty at shows. I know that a lot of us WANT to do "something" but we're not sure what that is, and we're afraid to do something on our own. I'd just like to light another spark, ya know?

enggirl

I think a music benefit show would be a great idea. I've helped organise loads of political/fundraising events and they are hard work but it's absolutely worth it. The one piece of advice I would give you is to make sure there are a number of people willing to commit to helping to organise the event - it can be absolutely overwhelming if it's just your trying to organise everything.

If it's your first time organising anything like this it would probably be a good idea to see if there are any other people in your local community who are also involved in fundraising activities like that. They could give you helpful suggestions about where you could hire a venue cheaply, or how to publicise your event.

I think it's fantastic that you want to do something to support organisations like DATA, and I hope you're able to figure out something you can do. Feel free to PM me if there's anything I can help you with, I've done quite a few charity/political events so I might be able to help in some small way. :)

enggirl said:
I'd like to do something public where others can get info on these kinds of things--like what U2 does for when we can sign up for Greenpeace and Amnesty at shows.

That's an excellent idea. :) All you'd need to do is write to those groups and ask for copies of their latest petition, or lots of membership forms, and then get permission to set up a stall at an event. I don't know if the laws are the same in the US, but here in the UK we often do stalls on the main shopping street in town, or outside the university - quite a lot of people are willing to stop and talk about whatever cause you're promoting for a few minutes. :)

Hey, wow! Congratulations and welcome to the Angels. :) I"ll add your name if you like! We're up to about 80, which amazes me. :bow: :angels:

Jubilee USA is a great grassroots organization. DATA is amazing, but a bit more "grasstops" if you will than grassroots. Might be easier to get involved with Jubilee if you're looking to fundraise, demonstrate, campaign, etc. Whereabouts are you?

Feel free to email me (cduckwo1@gmu.edu) if you'd like for contacts, etc. Best of luck and GO GIRL! We need more like you!

SD

y'all rock...
OK, I DO have a girlie friend here who used to organize shows, and her bfriend is a solo artist (was frontman for one of the more popular local bands) and close, close friends are also band members (parties at her house are CRAZY!--that's why I hardly ever go to them!). I sorta talked with her about this, and we've let it sit for a while b/c I need to do some research into organizations, etc. You're right in that DATA is "grasstops"--they want to save the whole continent at once, and that's a lot to ask. But if I DO put on an event, DATA is one org. that I'll contact as far as getting info to hand out.

It's all a bit overwhelming, but the more I think about it, the more I wanna do it! Good karma...good karma. One of the three jewels in Buddhism is sangha, which is a group or community of people that help one another on their path--sort of a spiritual support group. That seems to be what exists here--and it's what I'd like to try and create, if even for one night, on my own neck of the woods.

Thx so much for all the encouragement, and I'll be getting in touch with some of you individually soon!

enggirl

Back
Top Bottom