Darwin - city of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beli

Blue Crack Addict
Christmas eve 1974, Cyclone Tracy destroyed 90% of Darwin. 65 people dead, 35,000 people homeless.

I was living in Mt Isa at the time (inland outback Australia, vaguely near Alice Springs) I remember the convoy of vehicles as familys drove into town. Their car windows crossed with tape in an effort to prevent implosion from the winds. Whole familys crammed into canvas backed Landrovers, and VW Beetles driving into town. Mt Isa was not (and is still not) very large. Normally we experienced plagues of ladybirds, that summer we witnessed a plague of people.

Years before my grandfather was a WWII spotter at Darwin, counting how many Dutch and USA planes flew out, and counting how many Dutch and USA planes returned. Hoping for a full count. Wishing for a full count.

From Feb 1942 to Nov 1943 Darwin was bombed 64 times, 258 people dead.

Might not mean much to people here. I think Im the only person from the outback on this site. Well, the only person who posts anyway.

In the words of the Hoodoo Gurus:

Tracy. Tracy was angry.
A bad mood.
I told her, "It's an ill wind
Blows no good."
(Then she told me)
"Tojo never made it to Darwin."

I said, "Tracy, won't you listen - this is Christmas!
Don't you go."
She said, "David, I wouldn't miss this for the world but I
got to blow."
(Then she said again)

Now she's gone, gone, gone
Just like the wind.
I just sigh,
But I'm dreaming that I'm gleaming
In her eye.
(But I'll always hear)

That year, Santa never came.

RIP and RIP again. :sad:

Last edited:
Yeah, a good friend of mine from school days was in the thick of it all. I only have vague memories of it from news at the time, but as for my friend, it left a lasting impression on her. Such a tragedy for Darwin, and they have done so well to recover the way they did. My parents were there recently and spoke in glowing terms about the beauty of this city. Hope to get there sometime soon.

Back
Top Bottom